Nolan Ryan tries to board plane with knife

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Link

By KIMBERLY DURNAN / ***BANNED-URL***

Former Texas Rangers pitcher Nolan Ryan was caught Tuesday trying to board a plane at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport with a knife in his carry-on luggage, an official said Wednesday.

Andrea McCauley, spokeswoman for the Transportation Security Administration, said she could confirm the incident, but referred all questions to airport officials.

"People can't carry knives on board," she said. "We did what we would do with any other passenger. It was above 3 inches. If it's above that length we contact airport police and hand it over to them."

Airport spokeswoman Leslie Schneiweiss said the knife was located at about 8:50 a.m. at a TSA checkpoint. Ryan said he did not know that the knife was in his bag, Schneiweiss said.

"Airport police responded ... and no law enforcement action was taken," she said. "He didn't know he had it. It was in a bag he was carrying. The lining was torn in the bag and it was in the ripped lining."

Ryan was not detained, but Schneiweiss would not say where he was headed. TSA took custody of the knife, she said.

"He voluntarily surrendered the knife. The entire pocketknife was 7 inches. The blade was 3 1/4 inches long," she said.

McCauley said confiscated weapons are turned over to the state of Texas.

It is unlawful for passengers to carry weapons onto planes, but knives and unloaded guns are permissible inside checked luggage.

Ryan, 58, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Ryan was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1999 after a 27-year career, which included an eight-year stint with the Astros in the 1980s. After playing for the Texas Rangers in 1989-93, Ryan left baseball as the game's all-time strikeout leader with 5,714.

In 1995, then Gov. George W. Bush appointed Ryan, an outdoor enthusiast, to a six-year term on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission.

Ryan joined son Reid and a group of investors in purchasing the Jackson (Miss.) Generals, the Houston Astros' Double-A affiliate, in 1998. Soon after, Ryan and his partners moved the team to Round Rock. Ryan remains one of the team's two principal owners.

E-mail kdurnan@***BANNED-URL***​

joseephuss

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Link

By KIMBERLY DURNAN / ***BANNED-URL***

Former Texas Rangers pitcher Nolan Ryan was caught Tuesday trying to board a plane at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport with a knife in his carry-on luggage, an official said Wednesday.

Andrea McCauley, spokeswoman for the Transportation Security Administration, said she could confirm the incident, but referred all questions to airport officials.

"People can't carry knives on board," she said. "We did what we would do with any other passenger. It was above 3 inches. If it's above that length we contact airport police and hand it over to them."

Airport spokeswoman Leslie Schneiweiss said the knife was located at about 8:50 a.m. at a TSA checkpoint. Ryan said he did not know that the knife was in his bag, Schneiweiss said.

"Airport police responded ... and no law enforcement action was taken," she said. "He didn't know he had it. It was in a bag he was carrying. The lining was torn in the bag and it was in the ripped lining."

Ryan was not detained, but Schneiweiss would not say where he was headed. TSA took custody of the knife, she said.

"He voluntarily surrendered the knife. The entire pocketknife was 7 inches. The blade was 3 1/4 inches long," she said.

McCauley said confiscated weapons are turned over to the state of Texas.

It is unlawful for passengers to carry weapons onto planes, but knives and unloaded guns are permissible inside checked luggage.

Ryan, 58, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Ryan was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1999 after a 27-year career, which included an eight-year stint with the Astros in the 1980s. After playing for the Texas Rangers in 1989-93, Ryan left baseball as the game's all-time strikeout leader with 5,714.

In 1995, then Gov. George W. Bush appointed Ryan, an outdoor enthusiast, to a six-year term on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission.

Ryan joined son Reid and a group of investors in purchasing the Jackson (Miss.) Generals, the Houston Astros' Double-A affiliate, in 1998. Soon after, Ryan and his partners moved the team to Round Rock. Ryan remains one of the team's two principal owners.

E-mail kdurnan@***BANNED-URL***​

They left out that Ryan move the team to Corpus Christi.

I am surpised Nolan would carry a knife in his carry on bag. I figured it would just be attached to his belt.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I did this once. Had a "auto" knife in my back pocket and forgot about it until I got to the metal detector. I took it out and stuck it in the bowl along with my iother items. Good thing I did that......saved my butt. Cops were called to my attention and I was questioned, frisked, interrogated and had bad things said about my mother. These guys were ready to lock me up. Then the TSA gal behind the xray machine says He placed it in the bowl for xray, not like he was trying to hide it." Cop asks for my liscense and says " I'm gonna check your record. If your clean I'll let you go." Immediately I had to think back several years of some things I may have been caught doing. He came back and gave me my liscense and said "you can go check this knife in at the ticket counter or we confiscate it and destroy it." I didn't have the time....NOW....to check it. Off walks the cop with my $45.00 auto. Didn't hand it to the TSA rep for proper disposal of course.
They are serious about this kind of thing.