Nominate the Best Cowboys' 4-3 LB Since 1990

eromeopolk

Reaction score
1. Ken Norton, Landry's last 2nd rounder, out of UCLA in 1988. He should not have been allowed to leave as a free agent. He was fast and tough. Son of former heavyweight boxing champion. Came with Michael Irvin who was #1 in 1988, the first great two top draft picks hits by Tom Landry since 1975.

2. Sean Lee

3. Dat Ngyuen

Most talented LB who could not last long: Bruce Carter
LB's been drafted a lot in 2nd round since 1990
Ken Norton does not count he was in the 88 Draft.

Darrin Smith was the best and Jerry Dumbo GM Jones let him go. He was the prototype 4-3 D WLB, SLB, and MLB. He played WLB for the Cowboys. He had 4.4 40yd speed, 6-1-235 and was assigned as a spy to Randall Cunningham shutting his dual QB play down. Could play run, pass, and make big time plays in big time games. He made the NFL all rookie team allowing Ken Norton to stay at MLB for the 1993 season. He left the Cowboys in 1997 went on to start with outstanding seasons for the Eagles, Seahawks, and Saints like every other LB that leaves the Arlington Jonesboys.

Dumbo GM started his LBs are not worth keeping phase with Darrin Smith. Finally ended with Demarcus Ware who was a 3-4 D OLB.

Smith played in the NFL for 12 seasons, recording 24 quarterback sacks, 11 interceptions and 4 touchdowns. He never appeared in a Pro Bowl, but he is the only professional football player to earn two College Football National Championship rings (1989 and 1991) and two Super Bowl rings (1993 and 1995).

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Not sure I agree he was the best, but he was really damn good.

It took Lee's injury for us to sign him, if I remember right. Could you imagine if they would have been on the field together? Maybe we beat GB in the playoffs. We definitely beat SEA again.

This cat was from sideline to sideline clotheslining people, love the PD.

mathew1184

Reaction score
Dat Nguyen. I never really got to watch Norton until he was a 49er and I still think Dat was better. Sean Lee flashed greatness but the injuries ruined his career.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
While i agree Norton was one of the best...i think the tandem Howley/Jordan gotta be #1...most here probably never saw them play but there is a reason both are on the Ring Of Honor...back when it meant something. Norton is not on there. .

So gotta go with: :
Jordan #1A
Howley #1B
Norton #3
Sean Lee #4
Robt Jones #5

Yes, i know he said after 1990...but like Homey D. Clown,. I don't play dat..

Last edited:

mmohican29

Reaction score
1) Lee (when healthy)
2) McLain (guy was great for a season)
3) Nguyen- one of the more underrated Cowboys of all time
4) Coakley- jokes aside: dude could ball

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
La’Roi Glover was really good for us on some really bad teams. Wish we had someone like him on today’s roster. Just realized this is an LB only thread…but whatever. I liked La’Roi.

Big D

Reaction score
My screen name used to be Dexter Nguyen so obviously I'd say either of those two. I really liked Lee as well but he was just too injury prone.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I miss Coakley as he was used for any trade scenario.

I was doing a draft simulator earlier and one of them offers players for trade as well.
One team, Broncos I think, offered to trade Jaylon Smith. No thanks lol

I see Bobby Carpenter was brought up. I think two Ohio State LBs went in the first round and one in the second or third that year.. AJ Hawks was the only one that turned out good.

Anthony Spencer was another guy. He really was not a sack machine. I think he had double digit sacks once. However he was decent against the run.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember Victor Butler. We drafted him from Oregon State.

He did not play much due to injuries or them not wanting to play rooks.

However when he got in practice and preseason games he was always flashing.

I think he had to retire due to injuries.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
I'm surprised there's not more Dexter Coakley votes in this thread.

I think he was very similar to and every bit as good as Derrick Brooks. He just played on terrible teams for most of his career and didn't get the normal publicity bump Cowboys benefit from when Dallas is winning. That man had to endure two 6-10 and three 5-11 seasons in his prime.

If those were inverted to two 10-6 and three 11-5 seasons, he probably would have gotten enough exposure to make several more Pro Bowls and put himself in consideration for a HoF discussion. Not saying he would have made it, but the question could have been credibly asked.