Recap: Norm Hitzges on Defensive Improvements

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marinelli of course gets a lot of credit, game plan, schemes, coaching.

JJ Wilcox at S. Better, and considereing it's only his 3rd year ever at S. And last year development held back due to death of his mother.
Carter at SLB. Better. After horrible year last year, now playing great.
Carr, better this year than last. Just don't hear his name a lot. He has never been an 'interceptor" of passes, even in KC, but playing better.
Durant, Better, plays all the snaps, never comes off the field.
R. McClain, much better than anyone thought, and playing best and is best player [do not consider Lee though, injured]. Will be great to have the choice when Lee returns, McClain at MLB, Lee to SLB.
The Crawford's. Tyrone, found home at DT and nice impactful player. And Jack, another cast off from Oakland, and a nice rotational fit. Also Jack Crawford is real goos friends, i guess they grew up together, with the guy that plays "Harry Potter", can't remember what his name was.
Mincey, been harrassing QB's.
Mentioned Scandrick and said he didn't want to not mention anyone, but those he did are the improvements that standout.

Now is it coaching, scheme, the light bulbs came on, all of it, whatever the reasons, but all is better.

Possibly reason for less sacks, but they are getting some very good pressure. But Fitzpatrick gets the ball out quick, so not going to get to him. Brees is a master at it, but they harassed him too.

The longest pass play against Houston, and the ONLY pass play that went for over 20 yards. the bubble screen to Andre Johnson.

But there are still concerns, they can still give up plays. Offense will figure out eventully what they are doing, so defense will need to adjust too. But it has improved.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
And without Ware, Hatcher, and Lee.

How is that even possible?

(end sarcasm)

Ball control offense and efficiency in our offense. We are controlling opposing offenses ability to take shots at our Defense. It's the same basic formula that we used with the great early to mid 90s teams. I suspect that if we run up against a team that can keep our Defense on the field for too long, we will see an ugly game because they are still not talented enough to play that kind of game but so long as we stay true to this style of play, I think we will see similar results.

However, if we still had Ware, Hatcher and Lee, the Defense would be better still. It is what it is I suppose.

I do realize you are just having some fun with that question thou.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan