Recap: Norm Hitzges on the Defense scheme last week

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Norm was talking about the scheme against the Saints.

61 defensive plays, Durant played everyone of them. Moore was in on 44. Mo went out after 4 plays.
But moore played that many because of this particular game plan. Moore played more snaps than any other DL or LB other than Durant.

RoMac 33 plays, but came out in many nickle situations, which were a lot. Will get to that in a bit. He would have played less, but played the plays that Carter would have after Carter left the game. Or else he may have got like 21 plays. Part by design possibly to protect from the injury.

16 different defenders played 21 snaps or more of the 61. Talk about a rotation.
Gave example of Hayden, Bishop, Melton at DT, Mincey, Spencer, Selvie at DE, but Crawford at DT, who is also a DE, put in Crawford and you actually have 3 pass rushers on the DL. Add Melton as your quickest DL, adds even more.

Scheme, they mostly played the nickle throughout the game, because it was Brees. They played a 4-2-5 and some 3-2-6, which is why Moore had as many plays as he did.
Also said this morphs the offense, as not to know what is coming.

T. McClain, when he returns, who does he take the snaps away from, as for Brent, is it Hayden, or do they all rotate. Then you have Davon Coleman, and then DLaw. That is a second group of a foursome to rotate in. But all won't be active most likely. That's 12 DL, and does it make the DL injury proof in a way.

Out of 66 offensive snaps, and 61 defensive snaps, who play the most. You would think Romo or the OL at 66. No it wasnt Durant at 61. it was Barry Church at 71, 55 defensive, 16 ST's.

Now Sunday, will probalby be much different as it's not Brees back there.

He said Marinelli, it's like having a deck of cards. He may not have any aces, but he has a lot of face cards to move around and play accordingly.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Norm was talking about the scheme against the Saints.

61 defensive plays, Durant played everyone of them. Moore was in on 44. Mo went out after 4 plays.
But moore played that many because of this particular game plan. Moore played more snaps than any other DL or LB other than Durant.

RoMac 33 plays, but came out in many nickle situations, which were a lot. Will get to that in a bit. He would have played less, but played the plays that Carter would have after Carter left the game. Or else he may have got like 21 plays. Part by design possibly to protect from the injury.

16 different defenders played 21 snaps or more of the 61. Talk about a rotation.
Gave example of Hayden, Bishop, Melton at DT, Mincey, Spencer, Selvie at DE, but Crawford at DT, who is also a DE, put in Crawford and you actually have 3 pass rushers on the DL. Add Melton as your quickest DL, adds even more.

Scheme, they mostly played the nickle throughout the game, because it was Brees. They played a 4-2-5 and some 3-2-6, which is why Moore had as many plays as he did.
Also said this morphs the offense, as not to know what is coming.

T. McClain, when he returns, who does he take the snaps away from, as for Brent, is it Hayden, or do they all rotate. Then you have Davon Coleman, and then DLaw. That is a second group of a foursome to rotate in. But all won't be active most likely. That's 12 DL, and does it make the DL injury proof in a way.

Out of 66 offensive snaps, and 61 defensive snaps, who play the most. You would think Romo or the OL at 66. No it wasnt Durant at 61. it was Barry Church at 71, 55 defensive, 16 ST's.

Now Sunday, will probalby be much different as it's not Brees back there.

He said Marinelli, it's like having a deck of cards. He may not have any aces, but he has a lot of face cards to move around and play accordingly.

They have 12 DL on the 53. They have Lawrence, Brent and Okoye as DL that could be on the 53 at some point this season.

They have Gardner and Whaley on IR.

They have Boatright and Sam on the practice squad.

That's 19 total DL on the team.

Some 4-3 teams carry as few as 8 DL on the 53.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They have 12 DL on the 53. They have Lawrence, Brent and Okoye as DL that could be on the 53 at some point this season.

They carry just 8? Those must be 3-4 teams. I can't imagine a 4-3 team only carrying 8 guys on their 53 man. That seems like suicide.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After last years debacle going through all the DL that we did, ending up with street guys of the street guys.....can't blame them for having 12 to 18 DL this year with some kind of status, active, PS, DL, NFI. At least if something happens, they have a plan and guys that know the system. Not ones signed on Monday or Wednseday or whenever, then playing on Sunday.

lostar2009

Reaction score

So who do we cut ? I think personally we can shed the extra qb. I also believe edwards can bite the dust along with the other Crawford. Time to put in some gamers on this D. I would still draft Dline in next year draft.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So who do we cut ? I think personally we can shed the extra qb. I also believe edwards can bite the dust along with the other Crawford. Time to put in some gamers on this D. I would still draft Dline in next year draft.

Norm said Crawford got in more plays than many of the DL for whatever reason. Not sure all what he did, but must have done something right. I can't remember how many snaps he said Crawford had.

I am sure he meant Jack Crawford.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see a lot of these players as insurance. It's good to have players in and around the scheme in case they are needed instead of having to sign guys off the street and play them immediately like last season.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think the first question that needs to be asked is whether or not Okoye and Brent have anything to provide this defense, before we wonder who they'd replace. I have serious doubts about whether either of them will be able to actually contribute

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I see Brent as the 1-tech and they'll try to keep Crawford playing the 3 and probably switching out with Melton and McClain. I see Melton and McClain getting some 1-tech opportunities.

YR

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They carry just 8? Those must be 3-4 teams. I can't imagine a 4-3 team only carrying 8 guys on their 53 man. That seems like suicide.
No, just randomly picking some years the Cowboys played the 4-3, 1993 and 1999 both show 8 DL.

The Steelers, a 3-4 team, show to have 6 DL on their current roster.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, just randomly picking some years the Cowboys played the 4-3, 1993 and 1999 both show 8 DL.

The Steelers, a 3-4 team, show to have 6 DL on their current roster.

I want the Steelers D to be so bad one day...then we can say the Steel Curtain is now the Melting Pot....:laugh:

lostar2009

Reaction score
I think the first question that needs to be asked is whether or not Okoye and Brent have anything to provide this defense, before we wonder who they'd replace. I have serious doubts about whether either of them will be able to actually contribute

I dont know, if Brent stayed in shape he might be okay. Lets be honest here his postion is not that too hard to learn. Getting in shape and knocking rust is all he need to do. Heck take a look at Spencer, he came back from micro fracture surgery and played ok his first game back.