Nose Tackle

ddh33

Reaction score
Jason Ferguson was one of the big signings last offseason. He was the one player who was key to transitioning from a four man front to a three man front. I know there were some who were disappointed by his play, but I thought he was fine - solid but unspectacular.

I'm wondering about depth though? L.Glover was valuable to this team as someone who could split snaps with Ferguson on the inside and help with the pass rush in nickle formations.

I actually don't worry too much about replacing Glover's pass rush. I believe that Jay Ratliff can help provide pressure. Even "Pepper" Johnson was able to show some glimpses in limited time.

But what about a true backup nose tackle? Is Johnson up to the task? If he's not, who is?

There do still seem to be some free agent NTs who could help this team, but haven't heard or read anything that would lead me to believe that Dallas is looking that direction.

In the draft, I am very intrigued by someone like Gabe Watson. I think he could be a monster here. Dallas has spent some time with him, but will the Cowboys go that direction early in the draft?

Hiero

Reaction score
I agree we need a bigboy to clog the middle. Watson would be a great pick if he fell to the 2nd, not sure imwilling to take him in the first. There should be some options hopefully later on that Bill will find.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Hiero said:
I agree we need a bigboy to clog the middle. Watson would be a great pick if he fell to the 2nd, not sure imwilling to take him in the first. There should be some options hopefully later on that Bill will find.

Watson is supposed to be 25ish or so. I can't remember a time when a nose tackle fell in the draft. They don't. They tend to be drafted above rated value, often a whole round above rated value. Or is Casey Hampton just a happy memory in the eyes of Longhorn fans?

t.o.boys81

Reaction score
NT is an area of concern right now. Ferguson is good, but the backup situation is pretty scarce. I think we'll get a backup in the draft, anywhere from the 2nd round on.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
You're right. We need another large body to rotate with Ferguson.

Ideally the Cowboys are able to trade down in the first and add either a second or a third round pick. If they are able to do that, I could see them targeting Watson with our second pick.

Woods

Reaction score
ddh33 said:
Jason Ferguson was one of the big signings last offseason. He was the one player who was key to transitioning from a four man front to a three man front. I know there were some who were disappointed by his play, but I thought he was fine - solid but unspectacular.

I'm wondering about depth though? L.Glover was valuable to this team as someone who could split snaps with Ferguson on the inside and help with the pass rush in nickle formations.

I actually don't worry too much about replacing Glover's pass rush. I believe that Jay Ratliff can help provide pressure. Even "Pepper" Johnson was able to show some glimpses in limited time.

But what about a true backup nose tackle? Is Johnson up to the task? If he's not, who is?

There do still seem to be some free agent NTs who could help this team, but haven't heard or read anything that would lead me to believe that Dallas is looking that direction.

In the draft, I am very intrigued by someone like Gabe Watson. I think he could be a monster here. Dallas has spent some time with him, but will the Cowboys go that direction early in the draft?

I've got some ideas.

But first, any takers on Grady Jackson as a rotational guy? Does he still have about 20-25 snaps a game left?

In the Draft, here are some 2nd Day ideas,

Montavous Stanley, Louisville, 6-2 1/4, 321, 5.03 - A powerful run defender

Sir Henry Anderson, Oregon State, 6-3 1/4, 314 - Best fit is as a nose tackle who eats up space.

In terms of End of Day 1 picks/Early Day 2 picks

B. Oshinowo, Stanford, 6-1 3/8 302, 5.35 - Promising NT prospect in a 3-4 because of his ability to hold his point of attack.

One SURPRISE pick in the 1st round for us would be Brodrick Bunkley, Florida State. According to PWF, "Strength and athleticism is more suitable for nose tackle." I believe we spent time with him either at the Combine. That said, I don't think we'll go DT in the 1st, but as I said, it would be the surprise pick given that most of us think we're going OLB or WR or FS in the 1st round.

As an aside, I thought an interesting 3-4 end Day 2 would be Barry Cofield. He's 6-3, 315, 4.96. "Has played inside and out but is more natural outside and would fit best as a left defensive end in a "30" front. Could excel in rotation." (according to PFW)

doomsday81

Reaction score
Keep an eye out for Montavious Stanley out of Louisville. He's a projected mid-round selection but I talked to him at The Combine and he said he played some NT at Louisville and he's had talks with Dallas. When I watched tape on Dummervil, Stanley kept jumping out at me. He could be a mid-round find. He's supposed to have a lot of upside and from what I've seen, I've been very impressed with him.

ddh33

Reaction score
The concern I have, and someone else mentioned it, is that I can't see Watson falling. Now, I know there are other possibilities later on in the draft, but Watson looks like the top of the line at that position in this draft.

Perhaps the question is whether or not you think Dallas needs a top-of-the-line nose tackle as a part time player?

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
doomsday81 said:
Keep an eye out for Montavious Stanley out of Louisville. He's a projected mid-round selection but I talked to him at The Combine and he said he played some NT at Louisville and he's had talks with Dallas. When I watched tape on Dummervil, Stanley kept jumping out at me. He could be a mid-round find. He's supposed to have a lot of upside and from what I've seen, I've been very impressed with him.
Wow, great info! Sounds like a good fit too.

Woods

Reaction score
doomsday81 said:

I obviously don't have your contacts, but from what I've been reading about him, I think he seems like an interesting pick-up. It seems where he goes in the draft is anywhere in the 3rd round to the 6-7 round according to various draft guides!

I hope we get our 4th rounder back by trading down. I think he would be a good addition around there.

ddh33

Reaction score
If we're just throwing out names, I believe someone on the draft board posted about Jeff Littlejohn out of Middle Tennessee State (I believe). The Dallas DL coach recruited him in college, and he could be a great fit as a nose tcakle.

ddh33

Reaction score
Stanley is interesting too. I think he would be a great pickup in the second or third. I can't imagine him dropping much farther than that.

Justis

Reaction score
If you looking for a first day pick, I'd go with Claude Wroten. But since he'd just be a rotational guy I think a fifth rounder would work fine.

conner01

Reaction score
stanley would be a nice pick,or maybe fafita in the 5th or so.osinowa is gonna be another good one but will go late 1st, or early 2nd. i think we wait to the 3rd or later for a nt.i think stanley could fall that far and would be a great choice

Woods

Reaction score
ddh33 said:
Stanley is interesting too. I think he would be a great pickup in the second or third. I can't imagine him dropping much farther than that.

The problem is that we could use an OLB, 1 OL, WR, FS, and back-up NT, who can all contribute in one way or another from DAY 1.

Well, maybe not the OL and WR unless there is an injury. But as it stands now, I'd think the OLB, FS, and back-up NT would play serious reps/start sometime during the year.

And with respect to the OL and WR, as many posters have already stated, we need to start grooming replacements as well as get depth. It would take some significant luck on our part to have the entire starting OL stay healthy for the entire year. As well as for our top 3 WRs.

Our best hope is probably to trade down and pick up at least 1 more first day pick, or get our 4th back. Let's hope we find a partner.

doomsday81

Reaction score
Woods said:
I obviously don't have your contacts, but from what I've been reading about him, I think he seems like an interesting pick-up. It seems where he goes in the draft is anywhere in the 3rd round to the 6-7 round according to various draft guides!

I hope we get our 4th rounder back by trading down. I think he would be a good addition around there.

Yeah, it's tough to figure out where players are going to go after the first 10-15 selections. As you know, all teams have draft boards and they go by value. If Dallas has Stanley as a fifth round selections and the Patriots target him in the third round, well, there you go. It's hard to predict where guys will go in the middle rounds of the draft. I'm sure many of you remember a few years ago when 31 teams had Quincy Carter rated as a 6-7 round selection and one person gave him a second round grade. Unfortunately for us, that one person was the Jerry Jones. That's ok, he made up for it in round two with that Tony Dixon selection. Too bad we can't wipe away that draft, huh? Wait, we did. None of those players are in the NFL anymore. :D

Manster54

Reaction score
ddh33 said:

And Ferguson played in a 4-3 w/the Jets... I agree he needs help, but I don't like any of the current NT free agents. They are fat and long in the tooth and want fat contracts. Sam Adams is not at a NT as he like to rush the passer and not clog things up.

ddh33

Reaction score
Woods said:
The problem is that we could use an OLB, 1 OL, WR, FS, and back-up NT, who can all contribute in one way or another from DAY 1.

Well, maybe not the OL and WR unless there is an injury. But as it stands now, I'd think the OLB, FS, and back-up NT would play serious reps/start sometime during the year.

And with respect to the OL and WR, as many posters have already stated, we need to start grooming replacements as well as get depth. It would take some significant luck on our part to have the entire starting OL stay healthy for the entire year. As well as for our top 3 WRs.

Our best hope is probably to trade down and pick up at least 1 more first day pick, or get our 4th back. Let's hope we find a partner.

Offensively, this team isn't as old as some make it out to be. I think the team could use some youth at the receiver position, but everything else seems to have a nice blend. If a couple of the young offensive lineman can eventually develop, this team will be sitting pretty.

As for the receivers, you can usually find someone who can catch the football in almost any round. It doesn't have to be a premier pick. Receivers are available every year, and you can usually find a bargain.

With that in mind, I wouldn't be completely surprised to see Dallas go almost all defense on the first day of the draft. Another OLB, a FS, and NT would make this defense elite.

dwmyers

Reaction score
doomsday81 said:
. I'm sure many of you remember a few years ago when 31 teams had Quincy Carter rated as a 6-7 round selection and one person gave him a second round grade.

That story was a lot more complicated than that. For one, Carter wasn't considered a 6th or 7th but more a 4th round draft choice. For another, there was some kind of Michael Vick "tsunami effect" that year that pushed all the rushing quarterbacks up the value charts because everyone wanted a piece of someone or something Vick-like. This happened very late in the draft process, within a day or two of the draft. This effect was being reported by the War Room on the day of the draft, with notes that Quincy Carter was being looked at seriously by the San Diego Chargers instead of Drew Brees in round two. I have pretty distinct memories of that web page.

That unfortunately the most serious player for Q was JJ is true. I suspect however that Oakland would have drafted Q had JJ not have gone after him.

Of course, Dallas compound the issue by drafting Tony Dixon instead of say, Shaun Rogers. I was all for sticking at 37 myself and drafting the best DT available. I would have taken Kris Jenkins, myself. My brother, a member of this board, complains to this day that we should have taken Rogers.

It was the times, and they were weird. The pet rock craze made more sense than the copy-of-Vick phenomenon that landed us Q.

David.