Not a disrupting defense

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
We allow good teams to establish and keep an offensive rythm.

I keep harping back to the Jacksonville game. Leftwich is a pocket passer. He has a slow delivery. His WRs are big and take longer to get open.

So what did we do?

We gave them time to get open and establish a rythm and run their offense. We never tried to disrupt them. We waited for them to make a mistake.

This drives me nuts...I would rather lose being agressive and making the QB feel some pain...than to lose like a lamb. We do not even HIT the other QB. Did you see Eli last week? We let a struggling player look like a HOFer last week.

Any defense can be good statistically if you play enough bad teams and you have devent talent....but how do we play against good QBs?

Not very good the majority of the time. What happened last night NEVER happens to the Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, Bears.....I mean we were just embarassed. And it's start with our philosphical approach to football on that side of the ball. Waiting for other teams to make mistakes...WELL GOOD QBs are GOOD because they usually do NOT make mistakes!

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more.

We either don't have playmakers, or we simply don't put them in the position to make plays.

Alot of that starts wtih the pass rush...or lack of.

Good defenses change the momentum of a game. That rarely happens with this defense.

Eddie

Reaction score
I don't know ... are we done with this 3-4 nonsense?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Its called taking chances and being aggressive when things go wrong- its not BP's way and that costs us on occasions. Last night half way through the second qtr we should have started getting very aggressive. And we didn't.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
burmafrd;1225423 said:
Its called taking chances and being aggressive when things go wrong- its not BP's way and that costs us on occasions. Last night half way through the second qtr we should have started getting very aggressive. And we didn't.

Well, I dunno about you...but it felt like dejavu...sitting in front of the TV and saying "OK defense, we need you to step up RIGHT now. This game isn't over yet" and then watch it simply get worse.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Juke99;1225387 said:
I couldn't agree more.

We either don't have playmakers, or we simply don't put them in the position to make plays.

Alot of that starts wtih the pass rush...or lack of.

Good defenses change the momentum of a game. That rarely happens with this defense.

Exactly! We rarely blitz.

What happened to that team that came out fired up defensively against the Colts?

DTK

Reaction score
Last night I kept thinking, either blitz or just rush the 3 downlineman. By having our OLB's in coverage perhaps we could have stopped a few of those swing passes. Instead, we kept sending Ware and Brees kept throwing right behind him.

With Brees, I think you need to send an all out blitz or drop into coverage. The sack that we got was an all out blitz. Did we ever do it again? I know the swing passes were Payton's counter to it, but shouldn't we have countered with a few 8 man coverage schemes? Seems as if we kept rushing 4-5 guys and Zimmer didn't make the adjustment to Payton's adjustment.