Not Drafting a Corner Early

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I don't know any more than the next guy so don't let me come across like the rest of these guys who act like Parcells has their number on speed dial.
That said... I feel really confident in saying that I truly don't think we are going to draft a corner. At least not in the early rounds. The risk is too high versus some of the other positions that can and should be filled in the top rounds. I don't think it would be wise and I am convinced that a stubborn yet intelligent coach like Parcells would agree. We already have a very youthful secondary and it needs some experience. Free Agency offers a lot more choices in proven professional CB this year than some of the other positions. Not to mention, we have a starting CB (Frazier) returning along with the original starter (Hunter) and a 3rd round pick (Thornton) returning as well. With the talent available at DE, DT, and LB in the draft this year, I am convinced that that is the route we will/should go especially if we are making the switch to 3-4. Maybe even a WR because depth in free agency is slim at that position as well.
Sorry, I am just amazed at how many posts on different boards and mocks on different sites state we should take a CB with our 1st pick in the draft.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
You are probably right. Especially if we move to a 3-4 defense. I see us going LB and DT in the first.

ghst187

Reaction score
I understand the change in the rules and the mitigating effect it has on quality, physical CBs HOWEVER, this draft is one of the best CB drafts in a long time. There are some real quality CBs coming out this year that are real playmakers. If a CB is the BPA when we draft, then why not? Its a dire need position anyway. Here's the other thing, people keep talking about how much money we'd have tied up in our secondary if we draft another DB on day one of the draft. Have you priced a quality CB in FA recently? You can't even talk to one's agent unless you're ready to start talking between the 4-6 million per year plus a huge signing bonus. So essentially it's almost exponentially cheaper to get a CB via the draft than trying to lure one in via FA. If you want a quality starting CB, you have to bite the bullet and pay for it, either with a high draft pick or tons of cash via FA. Most other positions don't command such a salary via FA. Therefore, you can fill two or three other positions with quality starters via FA and draft a CB OR blow your wad on a CB in FA.
As for Frazier and Thorton and Reeves.....none of the aforementioned are starting caliber CBs. I wish they were, but they're not. They are all AT BEST 3rd CBs and nickelbacks. Thorton was about as bad a pick as Rogers and Peterman. We really blew 3 straight picks last year. Our CB problem isn't going away and it'll continue to get exposed until we pony up and pay to fix it.
Now, I also agree that our pass rush, or lack there of, and DL is more important to fix first than our CB position. However, when you start looking at value in this thin draft.....CB is the deepest position in the draft and its much better to take a bigtime playmaker than reach for a player at another position just because you need at that position. I think there are some DL FAs that we should try to get like Ferguson or Williams and DEs Howard or Hayward. We've botched it many times trying to draft a DE. I also like Merriman and Spears fine in the draft at #20. But that #11 pick...a guy like Rolle could be there. Rogers and/or Jackson could be there at pick #20 too. All are going to be quality starters day one of the '05 season.
Bottomline: It will be cheaper and smarter to fix all the problems that ail us if we draft a CB this offseason and get some FAs to fill other needs. I'm not saying that's what we will do....just that its probably our best strategy.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
32BellyOption said:
You are probably right. Especially if we move to a 3-4 defense. I see us going LB and DT in the first.

1 - DE/DT 3-4 Spears
1 - DE/LB 3-4 Merriman
2 - Miller - TE
3 (TRADE DOWN IN 1) Ellison DT

CB - Ty Law 5 years $10M bonus, $1M, $1M $1.5M, 1.5M, $5M contract
Thats $3M cap hit
LB FA Kendrell Bell
DE/DT Jarvis Green
LB - Maybe that Denver DE who had 10 sacks
WR - Mohammad
QB - Sign Bledsoe vs. Vinny

Day 2 draft

Fincher - LB
Bryant - NT
Francisco - FS
Orlovski - if there in 4
Kay Jay Harris - RB thumper = next Corey Dillon? kid looks a beast

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Nors, we aren't gonna draft a TE. You can WANT us to draft Miller all you want, but you can't be so ignorant to think we'll actually do it.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
Nors, we aren't gonna draft a TE. You can WANT us to draft Miller all you want, but you can't be so ignorant to think we'll actually do it.

1) Parcells loves TE's
2) We have an older/injured backup and no depth at postion (Scrubs at 3 and 4)
3) Witten, Miller can both go wide and play WR in looks
4) He already said after last draft he's draft another TE
5) He had Bavaro, Cross at Giants

See what my boy Pioli did in NE? Built a foundation drafting Dline and TE early in drafts....

1) Graham
1) Watson

His thought process is that athletic TE's can dominate and cause defensive headaches - See Witten

To dismiss drafting another Big offensive playmaker is ignorant and candidly why we are in this mess. No depth on roster all positions. Injuries happen.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Nors said:
1 - DE/DT 3-4 Spears
1 - DE/LB 3-4 Merriman
2 - Miller - TE
3 (TRADE DOWN IN 1) Ellison DT

CB - Ty Law 5 years $10M bonus, $1M, $1M $1.5M, 1.5M, $5M contract
Thats $3M cap hit
LB FA Kendrell Bell
DE/DT Jarvis Green
LB - Maybe that Denver DE who had 10 sacks
WR - Mohammad
QB - Sign Bledsoe vs. Vinny

Day 2 draft

Fincher - LB
Bryant - NT
Francisco - FS
Orlovski - if there in 4
Kay Jay Harris - RB thumper = next Corey Dillon? kid looks a beast

I'd rather address FS a little earlier than late 2nd day. I've seen Francisco play a lot at BYU and he doesn't impress me so much, especially for a guy who may be opening day starter by default.

Any idea what Bell's asking price is going to be? We wanted him more than Quincy and he dominated as a rookie. Injury concerns, but he could excel in our proposed 3-4 defense.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
CB (and maybe RB) is the strength of this draft. If a top CB is available at #11 (Antrel Rolle- Miami, Justin Miller-Clemson, Pacman Jones- West Virginia) and we end up reaching for a need player then that's a mistake. We do have a huge question mark at RCB so we'd be fools to ignore a top player.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal said:
CB (and maybe RB) is the strength of this draft. If a top CB is available at #11 (Antrel Rolle- Miami, Justin Miller-Clemson, Pacman Jones- West Virginia) and we end up reaching for a need player then that's a mistake. We do have a huge question mark at RCB so we'd be fools to ignore a top player.

DE is strong as well plenty of players that could make a decent impact.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Watson was drafted by a team who happend to have virtually no holes....they have the luxury of taking the best player available, which is what they did in this case.
Having said that, I would not be surprised to see BP invest a pick on a TE, just not in the second round.

ghst187

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
DE is strong as well plenty of players that could make a decent impact.

I hope you're serious being a skins fan and all. With this DE crop, there could be 5 guys that do well or zero, lot of question marks by all of them. :skins:

Kevlee06

Reaction score
I dont see a TE being drafted especially in the early rounds. And that is correct about NE not having many holes. But they also were somewhat down on Graham ever reaching his potential. Witten is already a pro bowler. Watson had a chance to jump over Graham.

The Cowboys struggled all year with that RCB. Free Agency might solve the problem and that would be ideal. But if no CB is picked up before the draft I dont see any reason why the Cowboys wouldnt spend one of their first 3 picks on a CB. I dont care what new rules there are.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Regarding a post above - there was a statement about how expensive CBs are in FA lately. I agree that they may still be this offseason. However, if the NFL insists upon calling DBs for illegal contact as they did this season, look for the cost of DBs to plummet for the next 5 years.

Perhaps it will be like back in the day, before Sanders, when DBs were cheap and available. Anyhow - with every DB losing effectiveness when they cannot play football, their inherent value to a team will fall.

Some will argue that it will only make things worse - that quality DBs will go higher in price because a good one is more valuable - I disagree. They don't exist and teams will realize it. Even players like Champ Bailey, who was consistently burned (as were ALL CBs), will lose value.

Book it.

ghst187

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Regarding a post above - there was a statement about how expensive CBs are in FA lately. I agree that they may still be this offseason. However, if the NFL insists upon calling DBs for illegal contact as they did this season, look for the cost of DBs to plummet for the next 5 years.

Perhaps it will be like back in the day, before Sanders, when DBs were cheap and available. Anyhow - with every DB losing effectiveness when they cannot play football, their inherent value to a team will fall.

Some will argue that it will only make things worse - that quality DBs will go higher in price because a good one is more valuable - I disagree. They don't exist and teams will realize it. Even players like Champ Bailey, who was consistently burned (as were ALL CBs), will lose value.

Book it.

that was probably my quote you were referring to...good point and
I really hope you are right. I think we'll find out this offseason now that everyone has had a year to see how gay the officiating is going to be. Last offseason, I'm guessing that CBs were at least in the top 3 as far as price if not higher.
If you are right, then passrushers will be the ones commanding the offseason salaries...that is until they outlaw touching the QB.