Not looking good for the playoffs..Why this upcoming game is so important!

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
I posted this as a reply at another forum, figured I would share it here as well....

You can count me in as calling this an absolute must win game, and stretch of games. Yes, I am saying this in October. In fact, even though our December schedule is grueling, we play 2 non-conference games. Thus, this next stretch of conference games are every bit as crucial.

Looking at this game from a "trying to get in as a wild-card scenerio", this game against Tampa may be the deciding game come the end of the season due to head-to-head.

I am usually very optimistic but, if you take a look below at conference wins, head-to-head, common opponents etc. we are ranking pretty much dead last in all tie-breaking scenerios.

It would be nice to just win the division, but I do not want the Cowboys to be the NFC version of last years 10-6 Browns who missed the playoffs. So, as of now, I'm looking at this from a "just hoping to get in the playoffs". It has to start this week with a head-to-head/conference/tie-breaking win.

There are 8 teams with a better or equal winning pct as us, and 3 which cannot be discounted (Eagles 3-3, Saints 3-4, Minnesota 3-4). That's 11 true contenders - 4 will be division winners - Leaving us with, *gulp*, 7 teams vying for 2 spots. And we are at the bottom of those 7 teams when it comes to virtually every tie-breaker as it stands now.

Go ahead and have a look at the W-L and then the conference W-L column and follow it up by looking at the tie breakers and you'll see where I'm coming from.

Bold is for teams which most likely will be in the running come December (pretty much the entire conference.) Also, note the tie-breaker rules...

Note: Looking at this, along with our current situation, it may sting a bit.....

Current NFL Standings - 2008

NFC EAST-----W L DIV CONF

NY Giants.....5 1 1-0 4-0
Washington..5 2 2-1 4-2
Dallas...........4 3 1-1 2-3<---Currently tied for last among playoff contenders
Philadelphia..3 3 0-2 2-3

NFC NORTH W L DIV CONF

Green Bay 4 3 2-0 3-3
Chicago ....4 3 2-0 3-3
Minnesota..3 4 1-2 3-2
Detroit ......0 6 0-3 0-5

NFC SOUTH W L DIV CONF

Tampa Bay ..5 2 2-1 5-1<---Head-to-head would be tie-breaker in wild-card scenerio - Or even for playoff seed if we can get things turned around for a division win
Carolina .......5 2 2-1 3-2
Atlanta ........4 2 0-2 3-2
New Orleans 3 4 1-1 2-3

NFC WEST W L DIV CONF

Arizona..4 2 1-0 2-1
St. Louis 2 4 0-1 2-3
San Francisco 2 5 1-1 2-4
Seattle 1 5 1-1 1-4

Tie Breakers

The six postseason participants from each conference will be seeded as follows:

1. The division champion with the best record.
2. The division champion with the second-best record.
3. The division champion with the third-best record.
4. The division champion with the fourth-best record.
5. The Wild Card club with the best record.
6. The Wild Card club with the second-best record.

The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM OR AMONG DIVISION WINNERS

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.
1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs
1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4. Strength of victory.
5. Strength of schedule.
6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best net points in conference games.
9. Best net points in all games.
10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
11. Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
9. Best net points in conference games.
12. Coin toss

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Nice thread. We really have a tough road ahead of us, but with Romo back at the healm we have been in every ball game - regardless of how poorly our defense and special teams played. Also remember that Romo, Felix, and Roy have yet to be on the field together at the same time.

I'm just starting to realize how much a great QB can hide a lot of the warts on a good team with a below average defense and terrible special teams.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same story as usual. We need to take care of our own business and we will be alright. The next three games will prove one way or another if we even deserve to be in the playoffs. I can't believe I just said that.

arync

Reaction score
We need to win games and not rely on other teams to struggle, but the reality of the situation is, NFC teams will beat each other up and in the end we should be in the hunt. However, this game is the most important of the season, because there is a great chance that NYG will go into Pittsburgh and get beat up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think this is a must win from a mental stand point for this team. Dropping 3 in a row could cause some major fallout. As for the playoffs this game will not determine that. No one knows what other teams will hit the preverbal bump in the road that almost every team hit at some point in the season. As far as I&#8217;m concerned everything is still on the table to the Cowboys it is up to them to step up and start playing the way they are capable of

Silverstar

Reaction score
Thinking about the playoffs right now is what's wrong with this team IMO.

Just think about getting to win #5!

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
****!!!!!!! The birdies have a better shot at the playoffs than us!!!!

[youtube]Qwq7BYOnDrM[/youtube]

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Silverstar;2362156 said:

I would agree with you. Keep the focus on Tampa Bay and nothing else. It may be an old cliché but the truth is it is all about 1 game at a time and not looking down the road at possibilities.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Do not worry 2 weeks from now we will be close to out of the playoff picture at 4-5

aikemirv

Reaction score
Just looking at all those good records is actually a reason for hope. There is not a dominant team out there. There is going to be a lot of knocking each other down a few spots.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Yes, GREAT thread and a real eye opener. To quote Yogi Berra:"It gets late early out there."

rkas03

Reaction score
No sense worrying about playoffs right. All they need to do is worry bout the next game. I also see Minnesota and Atlanta falling back though.

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
Silverstar;2362156 said:

Unless the OP is a Cowboy player, I'm sure the players themselves are focusing on the Tampa Game and nothing else.

As fans, we can look as far ahead as we want.