Not race baiting. A serious thread

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
I realize the mere mention of race shoves panties up some peoples azzes, but this is a serious question.

I mentioned it in another thread, and no one had enough guts to seriously address the question.

I've come to notice that the majority of sports writers, whether ESPN, TSN, CNNSI, or local Dallas papers all acknowledge that Quincy just isn't the answer at QB. He hasn't shown anything to suggest he could be.

However, the majority of his supporters in the media are all african american writers/talking-heads.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I have no idea what the races of the writers are. I don't care. It doesn't or shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Now, having said that. Be careful where this goes. It will be watched closely.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
It's crossed my mind. There is no doubt whatsoever that that racism cuts both ways. However, I believe that a person's argument (in this case pro or con on QC) should be taken for the words spoken without looking for hidden meaning between the lines. In other words, give the speaker/writer the benefit of the doubt.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Americas_Poster said:
I realize the mere mention of race shoves panties up some peoples azzes, but this is a serious question.

I mentioned it in another thread, and no one had enough guts to seriously address the question.

I've come to notice that the majority of sports writers, whether ESPN, TSN, CNNSI, or local Dallas papers all acknowledge that Quincy just isn't the answer at QB. He hasn't shown anything to suggest he could be.

However, the majority of his supporters in the media are all african american writers/talking-heads.

Has anyone else noticed this?

The only black writer that I know of who writes for the Cowboys is JJT. He is not a big-time Quincy supporter.

AJM1613

Reaction score
I'm not black and I like the guy. I really don't see what that has anything to do with it. Sure guys like Stephen A. Smith would like him because he is black but the average writer just writes because he likes the guy.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
LeonDixson said:
It's crossed my mind. There is no doubt whatsoever that that racism cuts both ways. However, I believe that a person's argument (in this case pro or con on QC) should be taken for the words spoken without looking for hidden meaning between the lines. In other words, give the speaker/writer the benefit of the doubt.

Well...I'm not suggesting racism. Moreso somewhat of a natural tendency to see your own succeed.

And I do give writers the benefit of the doubt (save for profootballtalk.com, Spags, and Clayton).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Americas_Poster said:
Don't be so sensitive. Can't adults discuss race?
Does race have anything to do with football? No.

This is a football forum. Like I said, it will be watched. If that bothers you, oh well...

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
I'm not black and I like the guy.

Well of course you like him. You're an Eagles fan.

I'd love Quincy if he started for the Eagles.

But JJT, Newy Scrugs, Wilbon, and Stephen A Smith have all argued how Quincy is still the man. And they are pretty adament about it as well.

Just an observation.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
I'm not black and I think he's a better QB than most people in Dallas give him credit for. Randy Galloway, aka Jake Dellhome Nut Licker, had a segment for "Q Apologists" to call in several weeks ago and give their take on the QB situation. The callers SOUNDED very diverse, a mixture of white & black callers. Of course, we all know voices can be decieving. :D

AJM1613

Reaction score
Americas_Poster said:

But JJT, Newy Scrugs, Wilbon, and Stephen A Smith have all argued how Quincy is still the man. And they are pretty adament about it as well.

Just an observation.
I have said repeatedly that I like the guy. It has nothing to do with him being a below average QB.

Stephen A is a racist. Wilbon isn't and I never heard of the other two.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Americas_Poster said:

Just an observation.

For JJT, he is stating Quincy is the man due to a lack of alternatives. I don't think it is meant as a ringing endorsement for Q. He has been quite critical of Quincy, his mistakes and his limitations in the past. I don't know about the others.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
I have said repeatedly that I like the guy. It has nothing to do with him being a below average QB.

Stephen A is a racist. Wilbon isn't and I never heard of the other two.

I like Quincy for his work-ethic. But thats about it. I really rooted for him in the past, but he's too inconsistant and erratic for my liking. I think its time to move on.

And it has nothing to do with race. I was pissed we didn't get Leftwhich when we had the chance.

And I agree about Stephen A. His act grates on you after a while.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'm black, and I'm not necessarily a Quincy Carter supporter. I do want him to succeed because he's the current Cowboys starting QB. But I just don't think he has it to take it to the next level. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm willing to give him another shot to develop this year. But I want the best man behind center, PERIOD.

This gets back to the Rush Limbaugh comments about Donovan McNabb. It's not that they were all that outrageous, despite the overreaction, IMO. It's that they were out of step with time and reality. When blacks first became QBs in the NFL, of course black reporters cheered them on - whether silently or openly - because their success was a microcosm of success of blacks as a whole.

But with so many more black QBs now from Doug Williams to Warren Moon to McNabb to McNair to Culpepper to Leftwich to Rodney Peete to Jeff Blake to Aaron Brooks, that "cheering for your race" dynamic isn't as prevalent or prominent in the minds of blacks. I'll admit when Doug Williams was facing John Elway, I was rooting for Doug because he was a black quarterback and the first one to play in the Super Bowl, if my memory serves me correctly.
But when Warner squared off against McNair, I wasn't as enthralled in the black vs. white competition because it wasn't as much of a milestone as the Williams vs. Elway dual.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

supertitan17

Benched
Reaction score
I admit, if Quincy wasn't black, I wouldn't like him as much. Now I'm not black, but I love black people. I think race has a little to do with debate. On radio talk shows, most of the people that called and said Quincy would start over Hutchinson were black. Most of the people that said Quincy sucked and Chutch was the man were white. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I asked one of my hispanic friends at my school who he thought was better. He said he didn't care (I'm pretty sure he thought Quincy).

Rude

Reaction score
Im mexican american, so I guess im in between black and white :p j/k

Ok, I honestly dont know whether QC is hated becuase of his play or becuase of his race. Example, All though most people here think Carter sucks, they literly (sp) cant stand him, all most to the point of hate and the media doesnt really help the matter.

For example, Henson hasnt ever played in the NFL yet we here he is the next Aikman???? Why??? Why is he Aikman??? I even here posters say, wow he looks just like Aikman and I think who cares, does that really make him a great football player?

Im sure their are some people in general that dont like Carter because of his race but I am 100% sure a lot of people dont like Carter becuase of his play, the hatred is what makes me think though

Brokejumper

Reaction score
Americas_Poster said:
Well...I'm not suggesting racism. Moreso somewhat of a natural tendency to see your own succeed.

And I do give writers the benefit of the doubt (save for profootballtalk.com, Spags, and Clayton).
Here, "my own" is the Dallas Cowboys... anything else you want to bring to the table is racism.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Brokejumper said:
Here, "my own" is the Dallas Cowboys... anything else you want to bring to the table is racism.
That was perfectly said. Much admiration.

Nav22

Reaction score
I don't think it's a racist thing when blacks root for black athletes and whites root for white athletes. I know there's a big double-standard for that kind of thing, but it's BS. It's a pretty natural thing. I'm Persian, and I was rooting for the only Persian player in the NFL (Shar Pourdanesh, OT)...yes, even though he was on the Skins for a while. :mad:

And it's just like a few Asian friends of mine have asked me about and shown an interest in Dat Nguyen, and when we had the Mexican WR (back in '96 or so?) on the squad for preseason, and the crowd in Mexico City was going insane when he caught a pass.

Am I a racist for rooting for a Persian player? Were all the Mexicans at that preseason game racists? Are my Asian friends interested in Dat racists? Are all the Chinese people with Yao Ming jerseys racists?

It's one thing to root for someone because he's the same race as you are, but it's another thing to dislike someone else because he isn't that race. Do I think the majority of Quincy Carter's haters are racists? No. But there are some. Just like with any situation regarding a player of any race.