CFZ Not so silly prediction: The Swiss Army Knife UDFA that makes the 53-man

_sturt_

Reaction score
... will be... Princeton Fant.

Yeah, I know. All the buzz has been about Hunter Luepke. And I'm not pretending I'm smarter than Dane Brugler or any of the others who had touted Luepke as one of the 2 or 3 best UDFA signings for the Boys.

All I'm saying is what I said... it's not a silly prediction that Fant will actually turn out to be the preferred choice on cut down day.

I say that because physically, they're practically the same guy--eg, same height, wingspan within 1/2 inch, hand size within 1/8 inch--except Fant has about 10 pounds more girth.

If you're going to prefer a guy whose primary asset will be running the ball, Luepke has a clear advantage... 4.5-4.6 range speed as opposed to 4.7-4.8 range speed. Same reason, if you're going to prefer a guy whose primary asset will be special teams coverage.

If you're going to prefer a guy, though, whose primary asset will be blocking and catching passes, Fant is in that conversation. Again, his playing weight has been about 10 lbs thicker, and he has some athleticism that made him an attractive "athlete" recruit out of high school. They've both lined up at FB and TE, and to a lesser extent WR. I'm sure most of us also saw that Fant has a TD pass to his credit.

The key will be whether Fant can learn blocking technique and impress sufficiently over the preseason that was apparently lacking in Knoxville (... but you can learn technique, whereas you cannot learn athleticism, of course).

giphy.gif

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see Fant as a PS player until I see him in TC and PS games. Unless they keep 4 TE's, and they decide not to keep McKeon, or trade him (well it could be possible).

I will not say Leupke is a shoo in either. Need to see him as well.

It will come down to how well the other RB's do, and how many WR's / TE's they keep. If Fant is better than the 6th WR, then there is that possibility.
All comes down to numbers and who has the better TC, and if they are around the 51st to 53rd best players.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
We need a short yardage runner. Fant is not that. HE is being looked at as a TE.
Fant did it at Tennessee. This is as good as it gets, against Alabama.

They are not looking for another RB with Luepke and Fant (and to a lesser degree, Mckeown). They're looking for an H-back who can maybe give you a handful of short yardage runs over the course of the season. Fant is every bit as likely to make the roster as Luepke.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So why did Fant and Leupke go undrafted?
We get this every year On some players.

I really hope they hit on them. Hopefully it creates some really good competition for those last spots in each position group. That is always great to see.

shabazz

Reaction score
... will be... Princeton Fant.

Yeah, I know. All the buzz has been about Hunter Luepke. And I'm not pretending I'm smarter than Dane Brugler or any of the others who had touted Luepke as one of the 2 or 3 best UDFA signings for the Boys.

All I'm saying is what I said... it's not a silly prediction that Fant will actually turn out to be the preferred choice on cut down day.

I say that because physically, they're practically the same guy--eg, same height, wingspan within 1/2 inch, hand size within 1/8 inch--except Fant has about 10 pounds more girth.

If you're going to prefer a guy whose primary asset will be running the ball, Luepke has a clear advantage... 4.5-4.6 range speed as opposed to 4.7-4.8 range speed. Same reason, if you're going to prefer a guy whose primary asset will be special teams coverage.

If you're going to prefer a guy, though, whose primary asset will be blocking and catching passes, Fant is in that conversation. Again, his playing weight has been about 10 lbs thicker, and he has some athleticism that made him an attractive "athlete" recruit out of high school. They've both lined up at FB and TE, and to a lesser extent WR. I'm sure most of us also saw that Fant has a TD pass to his credit.

The key will be whether Fant can learn blocking technique and impress sufficiently over the preseason that was apparently lacking in Knoxville (... but you can learn technique, whereas you cannot learn athleticism, of course).

giphy.gif
Can't disagree. Additional girth is usually the difference maker in most things

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Fant is an interesting player. I'm still not sure how he fits though. Very unlikely he makes the team as a TE. Dallas would have to keep 4 TE's, and Fant would have to beat out McKeon. Zero chance he beats out Schoonmaker, Ferguson, and Hendershot.

Fant did play RB some in the past, but switched to TE. I suppose he could be a blocking back that could also be the dump off option.

Luepke just gives you more at RB/FB, and Fant is not making the team as a TE. Both face a tough path to the final roster.

It would take an injury or two for Fant to make the final 53. He's got PS written all over him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Fant is an interesting player. I'm still not sure how he fits though. Very unlikely he makes the team as a TE. Dallas would have to keep 4 TE's, and Fant would have to beat out McKeon. Zero chance he beats out Schoonmaker, Ferguson, and Hendershot.

Fant did play RB some in the past, but switched to TE. I suppose he could be a blocking back that could also be the dump off option.

Luepke just gives you more at RB/FB, and Fant is not making the team as a TE. Both face a tough path to the final roster.

It would take an injury or two for Fant to make the final 53. He's got PS written all over him.
Ferguson and Shoon to me are the only locks at tight end.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Swiss-army knife is actually the description of Hunter Luepke. As has been mentioned, Fant has been working as a TE.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I think both players will have a very hard time making the 53. Basically 3 players for 1 spot. I think either of the UDFA will have to severly outshine McKeon to take his spot as the H Back (#4 TE, FB, whatever you want to call that position). Afterall, the staff know him and he has game experience. But if either of them do take his spot, my money would be on Luepke, just more verstaile of a player than Fant.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think you're right. I've never been a big Hendershot fan. It's certainly possible Fant could beat him out. I'm revising my opinion.
Yeah I mean I liked what he did but yeah I didn’t see enough from Hendershot for him to win that 3rd spot. Gonna be tough.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Seems I need to repeat...

I'm not pretending I'm smarter than Dane Brugler or any of the others who had touted Luepke as one of the 2 or 3 best UDFA signings for the Boys.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Fant did it at Tennessee. This is as good as it gets, against Alabama.

They are not looking for another RB with Luepke and Fant (and to a lesser degree, Mckeown). They're looking for an H-back who can maybe give you a handful of short yardage runs over the course of the season. Fant is every bit as likely to make the roster as Luepke.

Sorry I missed all that with all the troll spam but you are correct. I figured with his body type he was TE but it is what it is. He is like the opposite of Deuce when it comes to RB.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I don't know if Fant will make the team. But I guarantee the Big Blue M&M is not going out of Arlington without a FB on his Jonesboys 2023 roster. Everywhere the big M&M has been he has had a FB from the Saints to the Pack. He has also had a QB that ran out of mistakes (literally). Dak will not be told to just stay in the pocket. If he does not dump it to the RB, FB, and TE, which has been missing since Parcells, he is going to run like Brooks, Farve, Rogers, and Smith. Even KC has a FB. I do not know what Garrett and Moore had against the FB? Simple math. FB gives you extra help near the QB and extra blocker in the running game.