Not winning a single game will come back to haunt us

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I think not winning 2 games is going to come back to haunt us. I think the minute we knew Romo was going to miss 7 games the coaching staff should have devised an approach that took a "long range" view of the 7 games. Taking a "we have nothing to lose" approach. With the understanding that we needed to win 2 or 3. Instead, they looked at each game in a vacum....which led to us hoping the other team would LOSE the game. It is who Jason is. He was like this even when he had a healthy Romo. I will give you a specific example. When we blocked the FG against Seattle. We ran the ball 3 straight times in the middle of the line in punted. That was a CHANCE to try and win the game with a couple of first downs. Instead, we were content to see if Seattle would lose it. It was not until the last game....did he actually play to win. For example, the 3rd and short pass that Dez dropped against Tampa Bay. That first down...and probably one more would have sealed that game. But my point was....he waited until he felt like he had "nothing to lose"...because this was the last chance to win a game without Romo, to actually try to win it! The fact that Dez dropped it is unfortunate....but Garretts attitude from the start of this 7 game journey should have been "we have nothing to lose"....but he played each game like he was protecting a 1 game lead in the division....and it completely disgusts me that he has once again put everything on Romos back...and is going to ask him to win 7 straight.

Garrett is not a difference maker at all!

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
It should definitely fall on Garrett. There's absolutely no excuse for 7 in a row. We all thought our defense would be much better, but it really doesn't seem like it. People point out we kept teams to 13 points (or whatever), but the Seahawks offense was terrible, and they kept dropping passes. The defense was good, but I'm not giving them all the credit for that. We still can't make a stop when it matters most.

I want to say the defense is good......but I dont think they are.

Some of those point totals, is the other team knowing they dont have to take a bunch of chances to win the game. Play conservative, let the Cowboys fumble and bumble around on offense...

When this defense gets into a situation where the oppposing offenses takes any chance what so ever, they fold. easily.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not the point at all. Expecting this team to win out and everyone else to just collapse and lose seven or more is patently unrealistic. At most Dallas has a single loss to play with.

If you go strictly by the numbers, the Giants are 5-5 right now so based on their season pattern, they would end the season at 8-8. Given that two of the losses the Giants had were last minute losses (Cowboys/Patriots), you could argue that means they are more likely to go 4-2 in the last 6 games than 3-3.

As for the Cowboys, of course you could say 2-7 would mean their pattern would have them go 4-12. However, Romo has been out and despite the haters view of it won't matter and the homers view of that being the only thing wrong with the team, the record over the last 7 games should be better percentage wise than the first 9 games. 7-0? Maybe, but even with how awesome Romo was last year, we still went 12-3 with him as a starter in the regular season. Meaning, for every 4 games they won with Romo, they lost 1 game with him.

So, that means even if we had last year's team and Romo was playing the best of his career, it would be more realistic to expect 6-1 or 5-2 at best over the last 7 games. At 6-1, the Cowboys would end at 8-8 and would likely lose division and/or conference tie-breakers to the Giants.

Of course I will never give up on a season until the team is mathematically eliminated. I am an eternal optimist and will always hold out hope. That said, the realistic side of me knows that the Cowboys making the playoffs is a long shot and like Alexander said, it's one thing to think the Cowboys can go 7-0 over the last 7 games, but it's another to think the THREE teams ahead of us will all collapse. Can it happen? Sure. Is it likely? Maybe. Should you count on it? Nope.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
The sad part is while there is continuity, there is no consistency with this team or staff.

The backers of JG always speak of continuity, but his records speak for itself, average. People also want to compare him to Marvin Lewis and how Cincy stuck with him all these years, yet his teams make the playoffs every year. They may be one and done, but they make it which is what we all want. In fact Cincy is what we should be. A consistent football program that has a chance every year.

This team is just inconsistent, and JG will never build that here IMO.

Well, the results speak for themselves......

in my book JG has one more year. We get that same 8-8 9-7 team. Then he should be asked to leave. I dont want to hear about injuries, or salary caps. or losing this player in FA, or anything else.

He has failed big time, not winning one or two games in the last 7. He is the HC. The team isnt responding. I tend to think we arent as good as we/and the coaches thought we were. And, the decision to go with Weeden, was really really, bad;

DFWJC

Reaction score
bull crap...if the pats can go 9-0, we can go 7-0 or better.
Hey, it's not like I don't WANT it to happen. In fact I would like to see 7-0 (if it results in the playoffs) as much as I've EVER wanted anything football related.

5k bet any time you want though.

Just don't see it happening.
Maybe 8-8 will be good enough! Even then, 6-1 seems pretty unlikely too.

But again, I'll be out of my mind thrilled if we do it.

It starts this week.
Just win

What would make me most happy is to look back at this thread after 7 weeks and see that I was dead wrong about the 7 straight wins.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
If you go strictly by the numbers, the Giants are 5-5 right now so based on their season pattern, they would end the season at 8-8. Given that two of the losses the Giants had were last minute losses (Cowboys/Patriots), you could argue that means they are more likely to go 4-2 in the last 6 games than 3-3.

Not for me, I know...but thought I'd point of that 2 of the Giants WINS were also last minute.
They beat SF in the closing minutes and they had a 103 yard kickoff return to beat us at the end of the 4th

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I want to say the defense is good......but I dont think they are.

Some of those point totals, is the other team knowing they dont have to take a bunch of chances to win the game. Play conservative, let the Cowboys fumble and bumble around on offense...

When this defense gets into a situation where the oppposing offenses takes any chance what so ever, they fold. easily.

That's also why the defense doesn't have turnovers.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
That's also why the defense doesn't have turnovers.

I'm sure thats part of it. That , and maybe just the luck of a bounce.

But what cant be argued, is when this defense needs to step up and make a play to win the game, they cant do it.

Time and time again, over the last 7 games have shown us that. No player, or unit, or scheme has worked.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Not winning a single game with Romo out will come back to haunt this team. We could go 9-7 and still lose the division.

I think this defense played well enough to win at least 3 or 4 games. I think we should re-sign Hardy, but I'm starting to think the window is closing on our offense and our defense. The linebackers haven't panned out, the secondary is as bad as I feared, and the defensive line hasn't come on like I hoped they would.

I can only hope that Romo completely changes the dynamic for both the offense and defense.

We could have easily dominated the NFC this year, and at this rate even if we're perfect, it might not be enough. I feel that should fall on Garrett.

We can only learn from it and the biggest lesson is having a quality backup QB.

I would also suggest that if you have a strength like out running attack in 2014 don't make it a priority to ruin it on a hunch.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I'm sure thats part of it. That , and maybe just the luck of a bounce.

But what cant be argued, is when this defense needs to step up and make a play to win the game, they cant do it.

Time and time again, over the last 7 games have shown us that. No player, or unit, or scheme has worked.

Just like Romo our defense is a scapegoat. I have no idea how a defense can stop a team from scoring more than 13 points and still get blamed for the loss. When you're in 4 down territory, you can stretch the defense out. It's hard to stop that and it is the offense's job to score points. Ignoring that is pretty silly.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
We can only learn from it and the biggest lesson is having a quality backup QB.

I would also suggest that if you have a strength like out running attack in 2014 don't make it a priority to ruin it on a hunch.

They should have signed McCoy or Moore and they should have traded for Peterson. Winning a super bowl doesn't come along often.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
They should have signed McCoy or Moore and they should have traded for Peterson. Winning a super bowl doesn't come along often.

I am still beside myself they went with Randle...... Anybody with a little more pedigree. Heck, sign CJ......draft one....anything. It was irresponsibile of them and a disservice to me and others, as fans.

that was mistake 1.
Mistake 2. They didnt see Weeden in Training camp?? another big big mistake.

Take an otherwise decent team, that can win and possibly make a push, and make obvious crucial mistakes like that. Terrible. Grade = FAIL. Garret did nothing.... 7 straight Ls. Thats what happened.