Nothing new but Strahan did nail it on Fox Show

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
cowboyed;2420163 said:
How about the 2007 Cowboys. How could the juggernaut Giants allow themselves to be beaten by the wussie Cowboys in two regular season games and barely beat us in the playoffs. I tell you that Giants team is absolutely spineless and jelly legged.
Exactly.. Why did Strahan say we were the most physical team they played last year? I don't know of too many teams described as physical that also don't have heart.

And why did Strahan pick us to win the Superbowl this year if we didn't have "heart"?

I'd like to know if the Jags, Colts, Chargers, and Seahawks also lack heart. Or maybe in the NFL teams just have down years sometimes?

Not that this year is finished yet. I have a feeling some of our "heart" will come back now that Brad Johnson isn't our QB.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Strahan should just shut up about heart. The Giants played well at the end of the year, but were on the end of a lot of breaks, and essentially karma due to the Pats cheating. They were "a barely out of the grips sack on 3rd and a prayer long throw up pass in the SB" away from losing the SB.

BHendri5

Reaction score
That is very funny, really, because I remember strahan saying that the Cowboys were the only team that they were afraid of in the playoffs last season.

He said that this season in an interview.

SkinsFan28

Reaction score
cowboys#1;2420145 said:
they have no heart.... been saying that all year already. nothing new.

today the season turns around!

my boy romo is back and now its a new beginning. we have nothing to lose. everybody is already counting us out.

lets go cowboys!:star:

fyi, as a Skins fan, I am not counting the Boys out. I am extremely nervous that they will come in and just air it out to Williams/Witten. Having said that if you don't win tonight I think your team is in serious problems.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2420099 said:
Yeah Ok, like BP's team didn't lay down for the worst team in NFL in 2006, getting beat like a drum at the end of season.:rolleyes:

So that makes it ok that Wade's team is doing it now? Or are you just spewing unneccesary BP hate?

yimyammer

Reaction score
Temo;2420122 said:
That's funny, because "heart" never seemed to trouble Strahan when he picked the Cowboys to win the Super Bowl this year.

"Hey this talented team is underperforming, what will we comment on?"

"You know, the usual... question their leadership, their 'heart', their 'moxie', all the good stuff"

"Sounds good... I'm getting paid for this mail-in job, right?"

"Yep."

I thought he predicted the Cowboys to win the division and the Giants to win the Super Bowl

ndanger

Reaction score
RW Hitman;2420177 said:
I liked last year's team and think this year's team "is" even better, but you have to admit that our defense last year was soft as well. Our offense just made winning easy because we could counter and offset our defensive weakness. This year is a different story.

That's the beauty of football. Every year is a different story. Every game is a different story, unless you drag the last one along with it. Not once have I ever assumed the Cowboys would not win a Super Bowl they were in just because they lost before. Not once did I ever assume they would win just because they had before. Why? Because I love my team and enjoy that truly on any given Sunday. People have let the internets just lead 'em around like little puppies. And here I am like a little puppy, only because my treat won't be there for me untill this evening...........BUUURP...scuse me....:eek::

ndanger

Reaction score
SkinsFan28;2420207 said:
fyi, as a Skins fan, I am not counting the Boys out. I am extremely nervous that they will come in and just air it out to Williams/Witten. Having said that if you don't win tonight I think your team is in serious problems.

Are we to assume then, if the skins don't win tonight you think they have serious problems?

odog422

Reaction score
I wouldn't say heart, I'd say they lack intensity. And that stems from lack of confidence. Particularly and mostly on the defensive side of the ball.

If you don't know what you're doing or are unsure, you cannot play aggressively. Seems the common theme is, and has been, even before the published reports, instances of our D getting gashed. In other words, people not where they are supposed to be.

Unsure of your assignment leads to timid play leads to an inability to play with intensity. Add to it if an offense has success and we see the reason the D appears to lay down. No confidence to begin with and then worst fears realized and then comes deflation.

Offensively, the OL has been the problem. Remove Kosier and you remove cohesiveness and the breakdown is systemic and again, inability to play with intensity because unsure if the "other guy" is going to do his job. Of course, playing a one-armed Flo doesn't help either.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Its 2 things basically;

First, parcells built the cowboys into a touch physical team, but most of the time they played without heart and fire. You have to play with heart, want to.

When the cowboys played the giants last year, the cowboys were coming off of tough camps with parcells and being in shape.

2nd, wade tore down that tough physical camp with camp cupcake and camp marshmellow, eventually the coditioning of the cowboys wore down, and physically they got smacked in the mouth by 2nd half of the giants cowboys playoffs.

You cant go into training camp and not hit and get the players ready to be hit and used to that tempo of smash mouth football.

When players say they want to be treated like professionals like most of the players say, but they dont want to put in the extra work that it takes to get there, or the coach doesnt fine tune their bodies to stay in shape and be focused, you get what you see, a SLOPPY SLOPPY FOOTBALL TEAM.

when no one is held accountable, and players that mess up, just like coaches that mess up like special teams coach read, and nothing done about it, it shows up the way you play, sloppy, lacking heart, and desire.

Till jerry jones does what he says he will do by finding out what coaches and players havent been doing their job, then nothing will change, you need a head coach in here, that will cut or trade players that arent giving all out.

You have to send messages to the team, players and coaches you arent going to put up with sloppy football. There are way too many talented players on this team, but they arent being held accountable, till that happens this team will never go far.

khiladi

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2420119 said:
Dude, its been about 14, years now, that that Mantra has been repeated by fans of Cowboys. First it was Campo and then Zimmer, and now Wade Phillips.

At some point, its no longer coaching. Coaching is overrated. At some point, it all come down to players. Without Players, no matter the coaching, it will fail. Coaching only works when you have players who can play.

Cowboys players are overrated, especially when it comes to heart and toughness, especially Mental Toughness. We can keep beating this drum about coaches on and on.... though just to fool ourselves and hope somehow to keep making coaches....

Yeah, it has been 14 years now, but the majority of those 14 years of horrid play can be attributed to lack of talent, not lack of coaching, despite coaching sucking. These last few years are clearly different, especially from the skill positions.

The fact is, we aren't much different now than we were with Parcells in terms of how the the coaches play personnel and defend read-and-react. While they may be different in terms of personality, overall they possess some qualities that don't allow this team to carry swaggar. How can a player develop mental toughness when the leadership keeps telling them they aren't ready to play press-coverage orr blitz. This team fails to even attack on 3rd AND LONG...

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
khiladi;2420319 said:
Yeah, it has been 14 years now, but the majority of those 14 years of horrid play can be attributed to lack of talent, not lack of coaching, despite coaching sucking. These last few years are clearly different, especially from the skill positions.

The fact is, we aren't much different now than we were with Parcells in terms of how the the coaches play personnel and defend read-and-react. While they may be different in terms of personality, overall they possess some qualities that don't allow this team to carry swaggar. How can a player develop mental toughness when the leadership keeps telling them they aren't ready to play press-coverage orr blitz. This team fails to even attack on 3rd AND LONG...

very well said....

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Lets look at the history of the team since bill parcells got here
2003, Parcells let players go, got some of his old players and took the cowboys to the playoffs, but in december no heart, no fire, why?

2004, the opposing teams had film of parcells and the team, losing year
2005, cowboys go back to the playoffs, but lose in seattle,
again, sloppy playing, like fumble for field goal, why?
2006, parcells gives up, why? Again, players dont show up in late november and december, parcells was noted as a task master, but players dont show up late, why?
2007, wade comes in, first year a success somewhat, with 13-3 but lose in last november, december again, why?
camp cupcake shows its head lightly, are the players starting to get soft, ?
2008, now its camp marshmellow, team now is really showing sloppy football.
1. the special teams shows its head,in late 2007, but nothing addressed, hwy?
2. again, special teams lose in arizona, now we have to have 4 extra coaches to coach special teams with read, why?
3, Hestitation, overconfident team in rams game, why?
4. after jerry jones blows his top, and no coach doing that, wade has to take over somewhat for defense, shows up in tampa bay, somewhat, but wade says im not the defensive cooordinator, the cowboys go to giants after wade turns defense back over to stewart, players say wade has never been in defensive meetings, why?
5. in giant game hestitation to put in bollinger, why, confused play calling to brad johnson, and no proven backup QB, why? the hestiation rears its ugly head in the giant game with defensive players yelling at each other like in the arizona game, Commander game, and giant game, even burnett admits this, why?

add all of this up and you will see how this team has slowly detoriated,
if you dont hit in practice and training camp, how do you expect your team to be ready when someone pops you in the mouth, watch the cowboys players when they get popped in the mouth, they look stunned and taken back, instead of the cowboys delivering blows, they are asorbing blows, and being taken aback, this reflects to a degree back to your head coach and coaches,

slowly the coaching has recessed, all facets, offense, defense and special teams, and that just means slopply football, why?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
randy white said the same thing this morning.

He said this group of players does everything well except play football.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
RW Hitman;2420174 said:
does your philosophy not strike you as odd? Same can be said about players as it has coaching then. We have not had the same players as we did just a few years ago, but yet same attitude.
Is there some kind of entity living surrounding the Dallas orginization that comes and steals that "heart"? Do players come into town and say "Thank god I can leave my heart at home because I am a Cowboy now?

The one constant we have had over the years is poor coaches, and up until the last few years we also had poor players at key positions. So lets talk today, shall we?

Look at all we have read and heard from Wade. Tell me please how players would not take on the attitude of the coach. It has been said by the players themselves that Wade has never attended a defensive meeting, the defense has been confused in their assignments and displayed that on the field enough to where the opponent (such as Washington and NYG) has called it.
week after week analysts (and myself) have questioned why our cb's play 10 yards off the receiver and THEY STILL DO IT! This defense plays soft.

Heart does not come from a bunch of individuals, but rather a team as a whole and it is the coaches who are responsible for bringing that out IMO. Do you see Wade very inspiring?

Ironic thing is, you are arguing from both sides of your mouth. YOu are saying it must be coaches, because Cowboys have Talent now? Ok, how much talent infusion has been there from 2006 to 2007? Suddenly they had 13 pro-bowlers with almost same talent that Parcells worked with? So I guess Wade coached better than Bill Parcells?

I never liked Wade as coach, but, still, Wade had more wins with Dallas than Bill had. I don't see Either Dungy or Ried as inspiring. But yet, their teams seem to have success. But I guess, it must be just plain coaches.....

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Rack;2420215 said:
So that makes it ok that Wade's team is doing it now? Or are you just spewing unneccesary BP hate?

Talking about Spewing, we know you that you do it well dude. Because, I was as big of fan of BP as there was on this board. ANd for a fact, never like Wade hire either.

But then, continue with your arguments. Let Jerry keep hiring coaches..... Because when Cowboys find the right coach, they will win SB or play whole lot better consistantly or wont wilt when someone hits them back:cool:

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
theebs;2420434 said:
randy white said the same thing this morning.

He said this group of players does everything well except play football.

Yeah well, what does Randy White know. Its all coaching....

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2420473 said:
Ironic thing is, you are arguing from both sides of your mouth. YOu are saying it must be coaches, because Cowboys have Talent now? Ok, how much talent infusion has been there from 2006 to 2007? Suddenly they had 13 pro-bowlers with almost same talent that Parcells worked with? So I guess Wade coached better than Bill Parcells?

I never liked Wade as coach, but, still, Wade had more wins with Dallas than Bill had. I don't see Either Dungy or Ried as inspiring. But yet, their teams seem to have success. But I guess, it must be just plain coaches.....

Well I do believe this team will turn itself around and make a serious run for the superbowl and being capable of winning it, just revealing the obvious....

I predict new coach next year, but I will always root for whoever is on and on the sideline. I would be real careful to make a coaching change. If there is not a proven coach available, then maybe I would reconsider a change, but I would probably look.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
RW Hitman;2420504 said:
Well I do believe this team will turn itself around and make a serious run for the superbowl and being capable of winning it, just revealing the obvious....

I predict new coach next year, but I will always root for whoever is on and on the sideline. I would be real careful to make a coaching change. If there is not a proven coach available, then maybe I would reconsider a change, but I would probably look.

Well, I hope the same too. I don't take great pleasure in saying Team lacks heart. I really hope I am wrong and most of these analysts are wrong. But everytime saying its coaching, just don't cut it. Either Jerry is bad at selecting coaches or his gathering of talents is bad.

Again, I never liked Wade hiring, but I prefered him over Norv Turner though. And yeah, bottom line, till Cowboys make it to the playoffs and make a run in it, they continue to prove most analysts right about them.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Until proven otherwise... This is a pretty gutless team.

One hit in mouth is all it takes for it to assume the fetal position.