Notre Dame WR Signs With Chicago Cubs

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Link

Updated: June 18, 2006, 4:55 PM ET
Samardzija agrees with Cubs, will play for Irish in fall

ESPN.com news services

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs agreed to a contract Sunday with fifth-round draft pick Jeff Samardzija of Notre Dame, a star wide receiver for the Fighting Irish football team.

Samardzija's deal is for five years and worth up to $7.25 million, a source close to Samardzija told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Once the deal is approved by the commissioner's office, Samardzija will join the Boise Hawks, an advanced rookie club of the Northwest League.

Samardzija will be able to play at Notre Dame this fall. His plan is to play professional baseball and football after graduating Notre Dame and he is a possible first round draft choice in the next NFL draft.

The deal is backloaded and Samrdzija would have to continue to play baseball in order to approach the maximum value of the contract.

The Valparaiso, Ind., native caught a record 15 touchdown passes last fall. He then went 8-2 with a 4.33 ERA in 15 starts for the baseball team.

Joe Schad is ESPN's college football reporter. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Angus

Reaction score
Mel Kiper’s 2007 board?

1. Brady Quinn Sr. QB Notre Dame
2005: 3,919 passing yards, 32 TD-7 INT

2. Joe Thomas Sr. OT Wisconsin
2005: First Team All-Big Ten

3. Reggie Bush Jr. RB USC
Bush can score from anywhere on the field

4. Quentin Moses Sr. DE Georgia
2005: 11½ sacks, 20½ tackles for loss

5. Drew Stanton Sr. QB Michigan St.
2005: 3,077 yards, 22 TD-12 INT

6. Levi Brown Sr. OT Penn St.
2005: First Team All-Big Ten

7. Paul Posluszny Sr. QB Penn St.
2005: Team-high 116 tackles, 3 sacks

8. Jeff Samardzija Sr. WR Notre Dame
2005: 78 receptions, 1,274 yards, 15 TD

9. Michael Bush Sr. RB Louisville
2005: 1,143 rushing yards, 23 TD

10. Kenny Irons Sr. RB Auburn
2005: 1,293 rushing yards, 13 TD

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/index

MONT17

Reaction score
Henson and Hutchinson were/are negatives? this could be news to some people on this board!!!

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Link

ESPN.com news services

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs agreed to a contract Sunday with fifth-round draft pick Jeff Samardzija of Notre Dame, a star wide receiver for the Fighting Irish football team.

Samardzija's deal is for five years and worth up to $7.25 million, a source close to Samardzija told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Once the deal is approved by the commissioner's office, Samardzija will join the Boise Hawks, an advanced rookie club of the Northwest League.

Samardzija will be able to play at Notre Dame this fall. His plan is to play professional baseball and football after graduating Notre Dame and he is a possible first round draft choice in the next NFL draft.

The deal is backloaded and Samrdzija would have to continue to play baseball in order to approach the maximum value of the contract.

The Valparaiso, Ind., native caught a record 15 touchdown passes last fall. He then went 8-2 with a 4.33 ERA in 15 starts for the baseball team.

Joe Schad is ESPN's college football reporter. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Sweet! I always liked Samardzija, good to know he'll be the successor to Glenn some day.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Star Struck said:
You mean Henson and Hutchinson are negatives? :)
No, I don't think they are. Just like with Romo and golf, I admire anyone who can excel at sports and playing MLB and NFL is excelling. Maybe they won't be stars, but applaud them doing something unique.

Gibby!

Pom Pom Waving Shill
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Link

ESPN.com news services

How can he play NCAA ball and sign a contract? I don't understand how this works...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gibby! said:
How can he play NCAA ball and sign a contract? I don't understand how this works...
Nor do I. This is new to me and news to me.

Star Struck

Reaction score
Hostile said:
No, I don't think they are. Just like with Romo and golf, I admire anyone who can excel at sports and playing MLB and NFL is excelling. Maybe they won't be stars, but applaud them doing something unique.

I also admire them. I definitely can't do what they do. I wish him well in either MLB, NFL or both. I hope he can excel in one. I guess we can even throw Ricky Williams in this mix since he played minor league ball for a while!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Star Struck said:
I also admire them. I definitely can't do what they do. I wish him well in either MLB, NFL or both. I hope he can excel in one. I guess we can even throw Ricky Williams in this mix since he played minor league ball for a while!
Brian Jordan as well. Even Q.

I think it's remarkable, not something to scoff at.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Gibby! said:

It's fairly common.

Ricky Williams and Deion Sanders played pro b-ball and football. However, in doing so they do give up their eligibility to play b-ball at the collegiant level.

That list is pretty long, every fall I hear of 4-5 players who play pro b-ball during the spring/summer.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SALADIN said:
It's fairly common.

Ricky Williams and Deion Sanders played pro b-ball and football. However, in doing so they do give up their eligibility to play b-ball at the collegiant level.

That list is pretty long, every fall I hear of 4-5 players who play pro b-ball during the spring/summer.
Then Henson should have done the same. Bad mistake.

BigWillie

Reaction score
Who here would know how the NCAA allows this?

Taking a team bus would equal paid transportation by a pro club. That is a violation.

Paid meals by a pro club, violation.

Taking money from a contract or signing bonus, violation.

Heck, I can remember when Eric Crouch had a sandwich (yes, an *****' sandwich) bought for him by a booster and had to pay back the amount of the sandwich before he could continue playing football.

It seems to me the NCAA plays alot of hit and miss when it comes to how they enforce their own rules.

Hell, I found out a rule just the other day that makes zero sense to me. If you attend two JUCO's, you lose your eligibility to become a D1 athlete.

Some of this junk just makes no sense to me.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson...

You know, it doesn't always have to be a negative.

it does if that's what you want, or need, to see.