Notre Dame WR Signs With Chicago Cubs

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BigWillie said:
Who here would know how the NCAA allows this?

Taking a team bus would equal paid transportation by a pro club. That is a violation.

Paid meals by a pro club, violation.

Taking money from a contract or signing bonus, violation.

Heck, I can remember when Eric Crouch had a sandwich (yes, an *****' sandwich) bought for him by a booster and had to pay back the amount of the sandwich before he could continue playing football.

It seems to me the NCAA plays alot of hit and miss when it comes to how they enforce their own rules.

Hell, I found out a rule just the other day that makes zero sense to me. If you attend two JUCO's, you lose your eligibility to become a D1 athlete.

Some of this junk just makes no sense to me.
Link (see pages 24 - 25)

Chapter 5
Do’s and Don’ts During Your Collegiate Eligibility

Undoubtedly, you have many questions regarding a career in professional sports. Some issues you should consider include contact with professional sports teams, agents, attorneys and/or financial advisors. Hopefully, the following information will assist you in gathering answers. If you have further questions, please contact your institution’s compliance office representative.

You may:

• Seek counseling about a future professional athletics career through your institution’s professional sports counseling panel. The sports counseling panel can help negotiate a contract, set up an agent interview program, obtain disability insurance and help you understand NCAA rules.

• Request information from a professional team or organization concerning your professional market value.

• Be permitted to use your institution’s sports counseling panel or your head coach to contact agents, professional sports teams or professional sports organizations on your behalf. (Panel members or the head coach are not permitted to receive any compensation for such services.)

• Personally, or through your parents or legal guardians, or your institution’s professional sports counseling panel, negotiate with a professional team.

• Secure advice from an attorney or third party concerning a proposed professional contract, provided the attorney or third party does not represent you in negotiations for that contract.

• Compete professionally in one sport and be an amateur in another. (For example, you may sign a professional baseball scholarship and still compete in college basketball).

• Retain an agent whose duties are specifically limited in writing to representing you only in the sport(s) in which you compete as a professional. You may still retain your eligibility in the other sport.

• Have an “entertainment” agent for purposes of pursuing appearances on radio, television and theatre, provided your status as an athlete is not used to secure such an opportunity.

• Play in an individual all-star game after signing with an agent, provided team competition has concluded and you have completed your seasons of competition.

• Try out with a professional organization in a sport during the summer or the academic year while not a full-time student-athlete, provided you do not receive any form of expenses or other compensation from the professional organization.

• Permit yourself to receive one on-campus medical examination during the academic year by a professional league’s scouting bureau.

• In the sport of basketball, enter a professional league’s draft without jeopardizing eligibility in that sport, provided you are not drafted and you declare in writing to your institution’s director of athletics your intention to resume intercollegiate basketball participation within 30 days after the draft.

• Borrow against future earnings potential from an established and accredited commercial lending institution for the purpose of purchasing insurance against a disabling injury/illness, provided a third party is not involved in arranging for the loan.

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
Angus said:
Mel Kiper’s 2007 board?

3. Reggie Bush Jr. RB USC
Bush can score from anywhere on the field

I KNEW IT!!!!

thats why he seemes so frickin good, there are 2 of them!!!! LOL!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Thanks DE. I understand it a little better now. It still seems like a very thin line that Samardzija could accidently cross and hurt ND.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Thanks DE. I understand it a little better now. It still seems like a very thin line that Samardzija could accidently cross and hurt ND.

yeah, I remember Ced Benson played minor league baseball, and still was allowed to attend and play for UT, that was one of his knocks before his Senior year in fact, scouts wanted him to concentrate strictly on football

BigWillie

Reaction score
So explain to me how Jeremy Bloom was not allowed to play football at Colorado if he continued skiing? The NCAA ruled if he had taken sponsorship money, he was not allowed to be an NCAA athlete anymore. The last time I check skiing and football were two different things.

How is it different for a baseball player like Sarmadijzia (yes, I probably butchered the spelling) to take money or even benefits from a professional baseball team, but not okay for Bloom to do it?

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
man this kids future went down the drain when he signed with the cubs....

Marty R

Reaction score
BigWillie said:
So explain to me how Jeremy Bloom was not allowed to play football at Colorado if he continued skiing? The NCAA ruled if he had taken sponsorship money, he was not allowed to be an NCAA athlete anymore. The last time I check skiing and football were two different things.

How is it different for a baseball player like Sarmadijzia (yes, I probably butchered the spelling) to take money or even benefits from a professional baseball team, but not okay for Bloom to do it?

Collegite atheletes are not allowed to do endorsments....Bloom could have skied professionally as long as he didn't do an endorsment, but he did, therefore losing ALL collegite eligibility... fwiw

sago1

Reaction score
I think his signing baseball contract will drive his value down in draft. Any team that drafts him would want him to attend their minicamps and TC & this kid would be too busy fulfilling his basebase contract; also there is the risk of injury even in baseball. Unless of course he intends to stop playing baseball (but collecting all the money he can until drafted by an NFL team) once he is drafted and sees what kind of money he can get in comparison with baseball.

BlueWave

Reaction score
Great player here. Jeff will certainly make a big impact in the NFL with whatever team he ends up. Big target, great hands, uses his body well. Actually reminds me of Keyshawn, with more speed and a little more agile. Would be a great addition to our team and a top receiver for many years.

The good thing about Jeff (an his dual sport) is, he will be a pitcher if he sticks with MLB, and an NFL receiver. A team would not have to worry about wear and tear on his arm (that a QB/Pitcher might run into). He will not have to worry about injuries in the field like an infielder or outfielder would.

Basically, he is more of a risk on the baseball end than he would be on the football end.

joseephuss

Reaction score
SALADIN said:
It's fairly common.

Ricky Williams and Deion Sanders played pro b-ball and football. However, in doing so they do give up their eligibility to play b-ball at the collegiant level.

That list is pretty long, every fall I hear of 4-5 players who play pro b-ball during the spring/summer.

I know in Ricky Williams case that he was not a scholarship football player his last season at UT, maybe his last couple of seasons. I don't know if it was unique to his situation or the way it goes for others who get paid to play another sport, but he forfiet his scholarship. They joked that he was a walk on player.