Now THAT'S 3-4 defense!

Reaction score
I have been waiting ever since the implimentation of the "3-4" defense for the Cowboys to play it the "right" way. By that, I mean the way the Steelers & Ravens play it. I'm not the Lone Ranger. I agree with Merrill Hoge's opinion that Wade Phillips finally running the defense like he did a few years ago in San Diego--sending different players from all over the field in unpredictable situations, so forth. When you have guys flying all over the field, some rush 'backers covering the flat while corners, safeties, & ILBs come flying in from all angles and positions on the field. It made for a stifleling (sp?) defense that hasn't been seen in Texas Stadium since the mid '90s.

Actually, well, since never. According to Mickey Spagnola, the Cowboys have NEVER won a game when they gained a total of only 172 net yards. This really surprised & impressed me, considering the lower scoring team with the great defense of the '70s. What also really impressed me were the young DBs. I think it was a mixed blessing having Henry & Newman both out. It forced Phillips to play the younger players, & man did they step up. Jenkins, Scandrick, & Co. showed no fear, and played above their years. One player that impressed me, and made me kind of surprised that he hasn't played more was Alan Ball. When he was in, he was tighter on his man than any of the DBs, especially Henry. I'm sorry, but when you consistently have to play 10 yds. off of your man, it's time to move to a different position. It's like inviting the opposition to gain a free 5-8 yds. or more.

Other than that, I was SO happy they finally let the dogs out. Keep up the pressure Wade, it's the only way we're gonna win until Romo gets back. Come to think of it, it's the only way to play defense, period.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Let's see it two weeks in a row, then I'll pat Phillips on the back.
I'm still leery.

zack

Reaction score
Why not. Other teams are aggressive against us, bump our receivers at the line of scrimmage. What is different with NY? They can be beaten, but I guarantee you if you switch the D back to that passive crap, then they don't stand a chance against NY. We must, must, pressive Eli into mistakes. Not let him get comfortable and letting him get his rythm early.

khiladi

Reaction score
We still played soft-zone on second and long situations, allowing Tampa to grab some chunks of yardage, making for more manageable third downs. Both Johnston and Siragusa were pointing this out.

We still have a tendency to allow the QB to escape the rush up the middle. Siragusa also pointed this out, when he stated how our lineman were lining up against the side of the guards opposite the QB. This lack of holding the middle, or whatever it is, seems to be a trend of this defense that they need to squash. We allow QBs to escape pressure and the middle is open.