Now THIS, is an offseason plan!

Avenging Hayseed

Interwebs fooseball expert
Reaction score
My whole thing is you just dont trade away guys like Barber. Not IMO anyway. Like I posted earlier, I really believe the 07 Cowboys were alot like those 90's Bills teams. Supremely talented, but lacking tuffness and FIRE in certain spots. THAT more than anything is what Barber brings to the table along with his skill set. Were soooooo close its not even funny. Cant blow this thing now. The tuffness issue is another reason why I advocate bringing in another inside backer to take Akins place. Akin is kind of a pretty boy in my book, a jag that is unwilling to get down and dirty in the mud and the blood and the beer! Every great defense has that LEADER type at inside backer. The Pats have it with Bruschi, the Ravens have it with Lewis, ther Bears had it with Singeltary. WHERE IS OURS?? Where is our inside guy that can be seen barking out assignments and running the defense? IMO we really need that type of guy on our D, whether it be Lewis or someone else, we have to have that to take the D to the next Level. You look at the Pats for example. They have FOUR OF THEM!:eek: I mean REALLY, is there anything an offense can bring that Vrabel, Brushi, Thomas, and Seau HAVENT seen?? NOPE. That kind of experience and fire wins games DEEP IN THE PLAYOFFS.

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
Having said all this I really dont believe Jerry makes that trade for the right to draft D Mac. Tell ya why,......because if I, a little ole stonemason from Wisconsin "Home of Romo btw" :) , KNOW its the wrong thing to do then im sure Jerry and staff must also know. And if not??........then they SHOULD!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Trade Crayton?

So when was the last time a team paid out a huge SB then turned around and moved the player?

Never?

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
abersonc;1929776 said:
Trade Crayton?

So when was the last time a team paid out a huge SB then turned around and moved the player?

Never?
.....Well, theres always a 1st time for everything. I included Crayton in the trade scenario thinking it would be an enticement for det to let Williams go for a 2nd. Actually I think Crayton would fit in nicely on det considering they have CJ as their other starter. Myself, I think we have a number of candidates who could fill the 3rd wr role for us. Hurd, Possibly Stanback or the rookie I mentioned drafting in an earlier post.

sacase

Reaction score
Why do fans look down on Akin? Hell, so many posters lately seem to want an explosive player at every position. We are not going to have a team made up of 22 All Pro's. Flo is a legitimate Pro-Bowl LT and people want to get rid of him.....makes no sense at all.

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
sacase;1929789 said:
Why do fans look down on Akin? Hell, so many posters lately seem to want an explosive player at every position. We are not going to have a team made up of 22 All Pro's. Flo is a legitimate Pro-Bowl LT and people want to get rid of him.....makes no sense at all.
.......................Its not so much that I look down on Akin so to speak. He's a solid L.B IMO. Thing is, you should always try to get better if possible. At every position on the team. Never let good enuff be good enuff like Parcells used to say. The minute you get content in your situation your a dead duck, thats what happened to us late in the season. Exploring options doesnt cost a thing, every team AT LEAST needs to do that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Couple of things here. To be honest, I don't really think you could trade Crayton to Detroit because they wouldn't want him. Detroit has Calvin Johnson, Mike Furrey and Shaun McDonald all signed and all under contract. They are not using Martz's offense anymore, which means that they probably don't need 4 starting quality WRs. Probably three would do and they have those already signed. Why bring in another big contract? To be honest, I honestly expect Detroit to look at going with more of a running game under Colleto. I don't see them being very interested in Crayton.

To me, the better move there would be to trade our 28 for Williams and there 2nd. If we coudl do that, then I think that's the way to go.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Avenging Hayseed;1929476 said:
You only get a certain window of opportunity. Ours is NOW! Having said that you also have to keep an eye toward the future concerning salary cap considerations among other things.

Pagano to coach Linebackers, Dennis Thurman to coach the d.bs. Everywhere Thurman has went that team picks off alot of passes, expect the same in Dallas with the type of passrush we can field in 08. The return of THURMANS THIEVES.

Freeagency........Karlos Dansby and Randall Gay. Yes I believe Dansby can play inside in the Phillips 3-4. Think he adds POP and big play ability to the defense, along with the ability to bring another passrusher. Akin is a JAG at this point. Needs to be cut. Gay comes at a modest price and also brings with him 3-4 background from a topnotch organization with a commitment to winning. BIG upgrade to Reeves.

I also tender Barber and Canty. Those are base type players, core guys you can build a team around. I resign Hamlin as soon as possible. Now Flo, he is the big question mark IMO. Sure, Id LOVE to keep the guy. Imo you ask him to play at a reasonable salary, if he wants to be a part of a superbowl contending team. If he does....GREAT. If he doesnt we move on and take our chances with Doug Free and sign a 2nd tier guy as a hedge .

Draft...........1A...C.B.Mckelvin, Talib, Cason, whoever is there at 22. 1b.......Felix Jones r.b. Perfect compliment to Barber. Brings much needed speed. 2nd round pick AND Patrick Crayton to Det for W.R Roy Williams. Round 3.........Guard...Heath Benedict "this guy is going to be a monster. Round 4....w.r Keenan Burton.

And Yeah yeah, I know, Madden and all. But I really do think all this is doable without blowing our cap. We have added much needed speed, 2 d.bs, and bigtime teeth to our defense in Dansby. Gay brings experience in the slot. To me anyway, this is far and away superior to blowing our draft on Mcfadden.
I could certainly live with this.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
I think it's a great and doable scenario as well, however, like the poster a couple of posts up said; Detroit wont make that trade with Crayton so now what? If we use our #28 then the scenario changes. Any alternatives. I like the first so much that I would love to see what other plans you have up your sleeve. Maybe we could petition for you to be on The Cowboys draft/talent acquisition team? :D

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
The other alternative would be to keep Crayton, offer det our 2nd rounder this year and a 4th rounder next year. The good news is then we may be able to use our 4th rounder THIS year on a position other than w.r like in my original scenario. Would give us options and flexibility, something that is at a PREMIUM come draft time.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Avenging Hayseed;1930290 said:
The other alternative would be to keep Crayton, offer det our 2nd rounder this year and a 4th rounder next year. The good news is then we may be able to use our 4th rounder THIS year on a position other than w.r like in my original scenario. Would give us options and flexibility, something that is at a PREMIUM come draft time.

I like your scenario. I just believe that Detroit values RWilly more than this thread is giving credit too and I don't believe they need another receiver enough or think highly enough of Crayton. Most people in the league aren't scared of him. They know he has good hands (allegedly) but he can be covered by a fast linebacker of 3rd corner. TIFWIW. :cool: I would rather package our latter round picks to move up into the 3rd round for another CB or BIG linebacker or dLineman. I'm of the belief that anything after the 3rd is either a project or camp fodder or a lottery pick. :D

ilovejerry

Reaction score
I would love to unload Crayton mouthpiece. with non tipper, I hope Det is stupid enough and desperate to do it, come on Millin you neanderthal do it !!!!