Number 1 reason to love Nolan

John813

Reaction score
Where in this link does it show that?
It doesn't.

It's right here
Nolan-D.png

Referencing off this link, it seems accurate for the few years I've verified.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...eStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&qualified=false

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He's had a few blips of good years but most of his defenses were not good. That's why he hasn't been a coordinator in 5 years. Looks like a better position coach than DC.

Agree.

he doesn’t need to be DC.

pray.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Agree.

he doesn’t need to be DC.

pray.

Not sure I see that. First you can remove the stats when he was the HC. He wasnt the DC so its kind of unfair to count those years since he wasnt just focusing on defense.

If you look at just the DC stats there was 5 years that I would consider bad and 12 years that were good or decent. Thats a pretty good track record. Just looking at his first year in Atlanta. 24 in yds but 5th in points allowed. That is not all bad.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I can live with the MM hiring. But Nolan is straight trash. Horrible signing.

Carson

Reaction score
Facts : Guy has been around forever, knows football, his dad has ties here. He’s going to be an upgrade

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
I thought Mike Nolan was known for being the 49er head coach that wore a suit on the sidelines years ago.....

Carter

Reaction score
I loved his work with the Saints LBs the last years. We have to see if he can improve as DC but if he just gets us a Big *** Run Plugger instead of the Twitch "Studs" that Rod drafted early and completely busted its already improvement

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't remember McCarthy's teams ever being noted for their defense and in fact, poor defenses really kept Green Bay from winning more championships with Aaron Rodgers.
A big part of that was just Thompson refusing to sign players. I can't think of another team that purposely rolled out so little talent on defense while actually trying to win.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Given his success with LBs at NO recently, I don't mind the hire. Our biggest issue this past season was our LB play - and not for lack of talent. Curious to see what he does with Jaylon and LVE.

bodi

Reaction score
I loved the year he wanted to wear a suit on the sidelines

i think he is good coach

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
last time he was a DC was in ATL... they weren't very good. However, his teams always create turnovers. Which is something i think this team has did one time in ten years.
Atlanta also had no defensive talent at that time. Go look at those rosters

blueblood70

Reaction score
I rather lose being aggressive then lose laying back in a bend dont break time eating defense that hurts our TOP on offense..i hear hes more aggressive ie in blitz and scheme packages and doesnt lay back and hide.. you can lose that way with the big lay but again I rather have that then long clock eating drives that wear out the defense and keeps our offense off the filed and they still score..

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
I am not liking the Mike Nolan hire actually. When I read up on him he never has any stability. He ends up leaving after 2 years everywhere. While the HC of the 49's he drafted Alex Smith and passed on Aaron Rodgers saying he didn't think AR attitude would get along with his. Sounds like he has a rather large ego also. Might not be good. As a DC in Miami, he lasted 2 years. Atlanta hired him as their DC and he was gone in 3 years.

In early 2009, Nolan was hired by the Denver Broncos as the defensive coordinator under head coach, Josh McDaniels. With a new 3-4 defense the Denver Broncos gave up the fewest points in the NFL (66) during the first six games of the season, and made their way to their first 6–0 start since the 1998 season in which they won Super Bowl XXXIII. The Broncos went 2 and 8 the rest of the way, and missed the playoffs. On January 18, 2010, Mike Nolan and Josh McDaniels mutually decided Nolan would resign as the defensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos

Something isn't right with this guy and now we will get to see why soon enough.

CWR

Reaction score
It's right here
Nolan-D.png

Referencing off this link, it seems accurate for the few years I've verified.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...eStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&qualified=false

It appears the majority of his bad years he was HC and not solely tasked with the defense or he was coaching a talent starved Atlanta defense. Id also point to how often his defenses were in the top half of the league. To state his defenses are consistently among the worst in the league is an exaggeration. Im not saying I love the hire, but going off his history its not a bad hire either.

John813

Reaction score
It appears the majority of his bad years he was HC and not solely tasked with the defense or he was coaching a talent starved Atlanta defense. Id also point to how often his defenses were in the top half of the league. To state his defenses are consistently among the worst in the league is an exaggeration. Im not saying I love the hire, but going off his history its not a bad hire either.

Yea, stats are just stats without context.

Were the teams void of talent? Was it an injury plagued year? Was there turmoil elsewhere that tanked the team?

Curious to see how some of the positional defensive spots get filled.