Number changes (Fasano, Hoyte and Ratliff switch)

jay cee

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Great sig pic idea.

Howley in 54, White in 54, Hambrick in 54 with the red circle slash through his head, Carpenter in 54.

Title of pic..."Greatness can skip a Generation."

I know, I know, too early to presume he'll be great, but fun to think about.
I just hope Carpenter turns out to be better than Hambrick. I'm worried that he was moved inside and Ellis is supposedly starting at outside LB.

I don't understand that at all.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Erik Williams was a pretty good #79 too. You can argue that two hall of fame caliber players wore #22. The list goes on and on. You can'r retire every number. Heck, Jackie Harris wore #88 and that is one of the most hallowed numbers we have.

jay cee

Reaction score
jobberone said:
After watching Martin, all I wanted to do was grow to be 6'5 and terrorize qb's from the DE spot, like he did.:D

My old man is 6'4 and I was 5'10 by the time I was 14, so I thought I had a shot. Unfortunately I only grew another 2 inches.

And I was no where near as quick as Dwight Freeney.:bang2:

jay cee

Reaction score
lurkercowboy said:
Erik Williams was a pretty good #79 too. You can argue that two hall of fame caliber players wore #22. The list goes on and on. You can'r retire every number. Heck, Jackie Harris wore #88 and that is one of the most hallowed numbers we have.
I don't think he is saying retire the #'s. I think he is saying just don't give 'em to any old scrub.

The only problem is, you probably don't know for certain that they're a scrub until after you have already given them a number.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Fasano has switched to No. 80, Hoyte is now No. 53 and Jay Ratliff changed to No. 90.

Also, J'Vonne Parker got No. 79.

Players' Numbers is an interesting topic.

I'm glad Fasano is switching numbers. For some reason, a number in the 40s made him look a little undersized to me. I like #80.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:

I'm glad Fasano is switching numbers. For some reason, a number in the 40s made him look a little undersized to me. I like #80.

I kinda liked 47. If I'm not mistaken, that was Michael Irvin's old Miami number.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I kinda liked 47. If I'm not mistaken, that was Michael Irvin's old Miami number.

You're not mistaken.

B000E350VC.01-A3O8JTBPMT6HM3._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I liked it too, and yes it was Irvin's at UM.

I'm not even superstitious at all, but if I had a good training camp like these guys, I'd feel kind of strange with a brand new number after having the same one all of camp and preseason.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Petitti wore it last year. Since we don't retire numbers I tend to not quibble over it.

Carpenter has 54, the only # to be worn by 2 different Super Bowl MVPs in the whole NFL.

I have no problem with someone of a completely different position wearing a legend's number. A CB with 22, a sorry RT with 79, etc..., but not at the same position (or close).

Nav22

Reaction score
Our starting WRs/TEs #s are now 80, 81, 82, and 83. Cool, I guess.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:

The 47 really looked out of place to me, and it reminded me of Chris Cooley.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Fasano has switched to No. 80, Hoyte is now No. 53 and Jay Ratliff changed to No. 90.

Also, J'Vonne Parker got No. 79.

Goes to prove none of us had a clue as to what would happen.:laugh2:

stag hunter

Hater
Reaction score
In 1941 the Eagles had a system whereby all quarterbacks wore a number in the teens, fullbacks were 20's, left halfback 30's, tailback 40's, center 50's, guard 60's, tackle 70's, and end 80's. Made it easy to recognize which player/which position made each play.

silver

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
I think that numbers 23 and 17 should be removed from circulation. Hurd should be encouraged to change to another number.........maybe 18, so he can be opposite of his hero.
23 in honor of james jones or robert williams?

Dallas31

Reaction score
ZeroClub said:
The 47 really looked out of place to me, and it reminded me of Chris Cooley.

47 looked out of place to me too....

I like tight ends wearing numbers in the 80's....

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
stag hunter said:
In 1941 the Eagles had a system whereby all quarterbacks wore a number in the teens, fullbacks were 20's, left halfback 30's, tailback 40's, center 50's, guard 60's, tackle 70's, and end 80's. Made it easy to recognize which player/which position made each play.

We had the same system in high school (Ohio)

jay cee

Reaction score
stag hunter said:
What's the difference between a left halfback and a tailback?

I would put fullbacks in the 40's and tailbacks in the 20's. I really like the center, guard, tackle and end numbers they used, that's pretty cool.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
stag hunter said:
Our system in High School was similar to this. Our Halfbacks (tailbacks) wore 20's, Fullbacks 30's and Wingback (H-back) wore 40's...the rest were the same. Except the school Superintendents son was a QB and he wore #7.

Since a lot of players played both ways the defensive numbering system was a bit messed up but it was supposed to be tackles 60’s or 70’s, DE’s 70’s or 80’s (you used to see 80’s on some DE’s in the Pros too), LB’s 50’s, DB’s 20’s 30’s or 40’s (any of the RB numbers).

When I was a kid you almost never saw a player with a number in the 90’s.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
cowboys4life said:
i wasnt to fond of 47 but i got his autograph and he put #47 on there oh well its cool :)

Welp. Might as well throw that autograph away. Send it to me.....I'll do it for ya. ;)