Numbers: Claiborne vs. Diggs

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I'm not sure why we expect scouts and others to be infallible - remember during the draft that Kiper and Mayock stated Claiborne had the best ball skills of any CB he'd seen in the past 10-12 years so it wasn't like we were up in the night. Many on this very forum were very excited about him.

Not like Diggs wasn't highly thought of as well and I'm glad we have him, but no team bats 1.000.

Last edited:

jsb357

Reaction score
“Our scouts graded him (Claiborne) the highest of any DB we’ve scouted.” — Jerry after trading up to draft Mo Claiborne 6th overall in the 2012 Draft

Claiborne
85 games (74 starts)
7 INTs
49 passes defensed

Diggs
31 games (30 starts)
15 INTs
41 passes defensed

Watt?

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I'm not sure why we expect scouts and others to be infallible - remember during the draft that Kiper stated Claiborne had the best ball skills of any CB he'd seen in the past 10-12 years so it wasn't like we were up in the night. Many on this very forum were very excited about him.

Not like Diggs wasn't highly thought of as well and I'm glad we have him, but no team bats 1.000.
Yes! If I remember correctly, he was the consensus best defensive player in the draft. We weren't the only ones that thought he was going to be great

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
To be fair hindsight is 20-20. Everybody thought Claiborne was a can't miss shutdown corner. He would have been a bust no matter who drafted him.

The fact the Cowboys could have kept their picks and gotten Michael Brockers and Bobby Wagner in the 1st and 2nd rounds instead of trading up is what really stings.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Not sure why the quote from Jerry was necessary…it’s not an indictment on him or the scouts that Claiborne didn’t pan out. This thing isn’t an exact science and there are busts all over the first round and the league and one of the cowboys strengths is first round picks.

diggs has been much better than Claiborne.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
To be fair hindsight is 20-20. Everybody thought Claiborne was a can't miss shutdown corner. He would have been a bust no matter who drafted him.

The fact the Cowboys could have kept their picks and gotten Michael Brockers and Bobby Wagner in the 1st and 2nd rounds instead of trading up is what really stings.
Yeah I’ll never knock for that. They signed the best corner in free agency and he best corner in the draft. That should’ve showed up our secondary….it didn’t sadly.

People have revisionist history on Mo but Mo’s first couple of years didn’t have a training camp. Rookies need that and preseason. Then he battled injuries.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
I'm not blaming our FO for wiffing on Claiborne, the whole league did.

I'm too lazy to back up with stats but it seems the no1 consensus CB drafted for years hasn't worked out (2016 Ramsay being the exception).

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Claiborne was viewed as a top pick by several teams, they were wrong including Jerry and the Cowboys. Diggs on other 15 ints, which is more than every CB selected before him combined. Jeff Okudah 0 3rd overall pick in the draft, Henderson 1, Terrell 4, Arnette 0, Igbinoghene 0 Gladney 0, Jaylone Johnson 1. I think Cowboys and Jerry made the right pick with Diggs

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Claiborne, regardless of merited or not, also has something else that the rest of this team doesn't:

A Super Bowl ring.

Big_D

Reaction score
Yeah I’ll never knock for that. They signed the best corner in free agency and he best corner in the draft. That should’ve showed up our secondary….it didn’t sadly.

People have revisionist history on Mo but Mo’s first couple of years didn’t have a training camp. Rookies need that and preseason. Then he battled injuries.

It’s not revisionist history. A trade up is ridiculously stupid when you have many needs and are dealing with 4 year contracts. It was fools gold then and that hasn’t changed 12 years later.

John813

Reaction score
The worst move the FO did was give Rob Ryan two man corners and give up a lot in doing so, then fire Rob Ryan to then hire Kiffin, who was an outdated Cover 2 coordinator.

Yes, that doesn't mean they never ran man coverage under Monte/Rod the year after but I didn't like that they spent money and picks on corners specifically for man then blew up the defense the following year. The only corner that didn't struggle with zone was Scandrick.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
“Our scouts graded him (Claiborne) the highest of any DB we’ve scouted.” — Jerry after trading up to draft Mo Claiborne 6th overall in the 2012 Draft

Claiborne
85 games (74 starts)
7 INTs
49 passes defensed

Diggs
31 games (30 starts)
15 INTs
41 passes defensed
Claiborne was not a bad player, but he needed to be great to justify the draft capital used to obtain him.
Could not stay healthy either.