LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Law in order for Jets' 'D'

Step up pursuit of Ty

By RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Ty Law

The Jets' pursuit of free agent Ty Law is getting serious.
Law's Houston-based agent, Carl Poston, is scheduled to arrive in New York today to meet with Jets assistant general manager Mike Tannenbaum, Poston told the Daily News yesterday.

The face-to-face negotiating session is an indication the Jets could be getting close to a deal with the former All-Pro cornerback, who would be the biggest free-agent acquisition of the Terry Bradway/Herm Edwards era.

Law, who has worked out for the Lions, Chiefs and Jaguars, will not accompany Poston on the trip, the agent said.

The Jets are believed to be the frontrunners for Law, who has offers from the Jaguars and Chiefs. The Rams also placed an inquiry yesterday, a source said.

Asked if his trip to New York should be interpreted as a sign discussions are heating up, Poston said, "It's a good sign. I don't know if I'd use the words 'heating up.'

"The Jets have always shown some interest," he continued. "I told them that if they were serious, I'd come on up. It's always positive that we're talking, and it's better to meet face to face."

Poston said he doesn't expect to finalize a deal today, but he quickly added, "You never know if you're on the 5-yard line or the 50." He's scheduled to have dinner with Tannenbaum, the Jets' contract negotiator.

That the Jets didn't invite Law for a workout is somewhat curious. Law suffered a season-ending foot injury last October, a complicated fracture that required surgery.

Some league officials believe Law still isn't 100%, although the former Patriots star has said recently he's healthy.

It's possible the Jets will bring in Law at a later date. A deal would be contingent upon him passing the team's physical.

"Obviously, they're going to take a look at him at some point," Poston said. "I just want to make sure we get the numbers squared away first."

Law, a four-time Pro Bowl selection and a three-time Super Bowl champion, is believed to be seeking about $14 million in a signing bonus. That would be the second biggest bonus in Jets history, behind Chad Pennington ($18 million).

The Jets aren't going to pay him nearly that much, but their need for a cornerback and Law's desire to play for a contender could create enough incentive for both sides to meet in the middle. The Jets have been careful not to get into a situation where they're bidding against themselves.

"I'd like to think we're in the same (financial) ballpark," Poston said, adding, "but one side might be in left field and the other side might be in right."

The Jets' interest in Law intensified last month when left cornerback Donnie Abraham announced his retirement. Ray Mickens and recently acquired Pete Hunter, both of whom had major knee surgery last September, are atop the current depth chart. Rookie Justin Miller also is in the mix.

The Jets have sustained some minor injuries at cornerback, prompting them to sign two unheralded players yesterday. Law, of course, is in a different league - if healthy.

Herm Edwards believes Law is a future Hall of Famer, and some in the organization believe he could be the missing piece on an already-strong defense.

Law wants to play for the Jets, according to a person familiar with the talks. Law, who speaks with former teammate Curtis Martin on a regular basis, has made his feelings known through various back channels. Law has a 5-year-old daughter who lives in New York.

"You'd love to have a great player like that, but the problem is his price - and we're probably one of seven teams that's saying the same thing," defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson said. "If he brings down his price, you can afford him."

Originally published on August 3, 2005

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/333876p-285266c.html

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Law in order for Jets' 'D'

Step up pursuit of Ty

By RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Ty Law

The Jets' pursuit of free agent Ty Law is getting serious.
Law's Houston-based agent, Carl Poston, is scheduled to arrive in New York today to meet with Jets assistant general manager Mike Tannenbaum, Poston told the Daily News yesterday.

The face-to-face negotiating session is an indication the Jets could be getting close to a deal with the former All-Pro cornerback, who would be the biggest free-agent acquisition of the Terry Bradway/Herm Edwards era.

Law, who has worked out for the Lions, Chiefs and Jaguars, will not accompany Poston on the trip, the agent said.

The Jets are believed to be the frontrunners for Law, who has offers from the Jaguars and Chiefs. The Rams also placed an inquiry yesterday, a source said.

Asked if his trip to New York should be interpreted as a sign discussions are heating up, Poston said, "It's a good sign. I don't know if I'd use the words 'heating up.'

"The Jets have always shown some interest," he continued. "I told them that if they were serious, I'd come on up. It's always positive that we're talking, and it's better to meet face to face."

Poston said he doesn't expect to finalize a deal today, but he quickly added, "You never know if you're on the 5-yard line or the 50." He's scheduled to have dinner with Tannenbaum, the Jets' contract negotiator.

That the Jets didn't invite Law for a workout is somewhat curious. Law suffered a season-ending foot injury last October, a complicated fracture that required surgery.

Some league officials believe Law still isn't 100%, although the former Patriots star has said recently he's healthy.

It's possible the Jets will bring in Law at a later date. A deal would be contingent upon him passing the team's physical.

"Obviously, they're going to take a look at him at some point," Poston said. "I just want to make sure we get the numbers squared away first."

Law, a four-time Pro Bowl selection and a three-time Super Bowl champion, is believed to be seeking about $14 million in a signing bonus. That would be the second biggest bonus in Jets history, behind Chad Pennington ($18 million).

The Jets aren't going to pay him nearly that much, but their need for a cornerback and Law's desire to play for a contender could create enough incentive for both sides to meet in the middle. The Jets have been careful not to get into a situation where they're bidding against themselves.

"I'd like to think we're in the same (financial) ballpark," Poston said, adding, "but one side might be in left field and the other side might be in right."

The Jets' interest in Law intensified last month when left cornerback Donnie Abraham announced his retirement. Ray Mickens and recently acquired Pete Hunter, both of whom had major knee surgery last September, are atop the current depth chart. Rookie Justin Miller also is in the mix.

The Jets have sustained some minor injuries at cornerback, prompting them to sign two unheralded players yesterday. Law, of course, is in a different league - if healthy.

Herm Edwards believes Law is a future Hall of Famer, and some in the organization believe he could be the missing piece on an already-strong defense.

Law wants to play for the Jets, according to a person familiar with the talks. Law, who speaks with former teammate Curtis Martin on a regular basis, has made his feelings known through various back channels. Law has a 5-year-old daughter who lives in New York.

"You'd love to have a great player like that, but the problem is his price - and we're probably one of seven teams that's saying the same thing," defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson said. "If he brings down his price, you can afford him."

Originally published on August 3, 2005

I read that on Redzone this morning. I see nothing in that article that says he's a Jet......

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Nors said:
I read that on Redzone this morning. I see nothing in that article that says he's a Jet......
If there are swiss cheese holes in this, there are black holes big enough to swallow two universes in your Law to Dallas fantasies.

He's aging and he's gonna kill a cap wherever he goes.

I hope it's Kansas City

or better yet, Tampa Bay. :D

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
You said he was a Jet this week, not I. That article notes "issues" more than he's "signing!" with Jets...

In fact I stick to a remote shot he's a Cowboy. At his salary demands he might not play this year.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
LTN SAID -

Nors, I put it on the NFL Zone because

1) this is not a Jets board, and

2) Law will be a Jet.

very very soon

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
If there are swiss cheese holes in this, there are black holes big enough to swallow two universes in your Law to Dallas fantasies.

He's aging and he's gonna kill a cap wherever he goes.

I hope it's Kansas City

or better yet, Tampa Bay. :D

I'd love to see him in Tampa Bay. One of the NFL teams I abhor.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Nors said:
LTN SAID -

Nors, I put it on the NFL Zone because

1) this is not a Jets board, and

2) Law will be a Jet.

very very soon
I said that to bust your chops, Nors.

Not to make a prediction.

But I fear it is happening...Law met with Bradway and Tannenbaum...the cap guru...and if it does, I will be ticked.

If coming off an injury retread Law gets 6 mil a year while Johnny Abe sits home waiting for a long term extension...nah, one of the top pass rushers in the league....and YOUNG, and a drafted Jet... it ain't right.

Go to Kansas City, Ty, and let Vermeil weep tears of joy over you.