NYP: Baker Mayfield sounds off on Browns return with Deshaun Watson’s future in doubt

DandyDon52

Reaction score
In the Adrian Peterson situation, they allowed him to accredit time served from the previous season while he was on the commissioner’s list. Watson’s team could try and make the same argument, especially since he gets paid whether he’s suspended or not.
thats what bugs me, if he is going to get paid, the nfl isnt penalizing watson, it is the team and the fans that suffer, and they had nothing to do
with the whole scandal !
They fined him 5 mil, but better to fine him 50 mil ! that would make him take notice and act right !

Flamma

Reaction score
thats what bugs me, if he is going to get paid, the nfl isnt penalizing watson, it is the team and the fans that suffer, and they had nothing to do
with the whole scandal !
They fined him 5 mil, but better to fine him 50 mil ! that would make him take notice and act right !

What do you mean he's still getting paid? As far as I know, he's losing 11 game checks. But of course it's only coming out of 1,000,000 dollars.

CB0711

Reaction score
What do you mean he's still getting paid? As far as I know, he's losing 11 game checks. But of course it's only coming out of 1,000,000 dollars.
Watson will lose about $690,000 in game checks, which is about 0.3% (1/3000 th) of his $230 million dollar contract. I don’t think he’s too worried about losing game checks. The Brown’s purposely made his 2022 salary as low as possible knowing he would be suspended for some part of this year. He’s a POS, and the Brown’s are his enablers.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
That could be but his salary is totally guaranteed also , so I think only a fine would affect him, he could miss the whole season and still get paid for
all the games.
I imagine he anticipated a suspension, so got a contract that would allow him to still get paid suspended or not.

I dont know, just speculating.

Flamma

Reaction score
That could be but his salary is totally guaranteed also , so I think only a fine would affect him, he could miss the whole season and still get paid for
all the games.
I imagine he anticipated a suspension, so got a contract that would allow him to still get paid suspended or not.

I dont know, just speculating.

He's not getting paid while he's suspended. But he's not really losing anything since his base pay is 1M. I just don't know why people are saying he's still getting paid. He's not. But he's still getting 99% of his contract. The Browns ownership must think he's a God! Lets see if that pans out.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He's not getting paid while he's suspended. But he's not really losing anything since his base pay is 1M. I just don't know why people are saying he's still getting paid. He's not. But he's still getting 99% of his contract. The Browns ownership must think he's a God! Lets see if that pans out.
Yes the browns should have waited, I dont think he was ever that good, hopkins made him look good at times, and with a looming suspension,
after a year of not playing, I would have passed on him.