O-Line heavy draft?

Tristan

Reaction score
I can't even count the number of times in the last few years that I've been watching a game and said, until we get this O-Line fixed, we simply won't win! no matter who we have every where else. It just seems our O-Line has been holding us hostage.

That being said, maybe it's time to do to the O-Line what we did to the D-Line last year, and dig deep and come up heavy. If the best player available is at a couple positions including O-Line, we could make a serious investment, and solidify the O-line for now, and the future.

What if we traded down a little to add a first day pick (2/3) and did something like this?

pick one (trade down).. Eric Winston/Marcus Mcneil
pick two....David Joseph
Pick three..Charles Spencer

With the extra pick we could add the best DB available to address our other achilies heel, like Watkins/Griffin

I'll admit I would love to add a guy like Carpenter or Cromarte, but It just seems that if we had a dominating O-line that our Offense and Defense as it is could be dominant IMO, while the O-Line has just kept us from winning for to long.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Tristan said:
I can't even count the number of times in the last few years that I've been watching a game and said, until we get this O-Line fixed, we simply won't win! no matter who we have every where else. It just seems our O-Line has been holding us hostage.

That being said, maybe it's time to do to the O-Line what we did to the D-Line last year, and dig deep and come up heavy. If the best player available is at a couple positions including O-Line, we could make a serious investment, and solidify the O-line for now, and the future.

What if we traded down a little to add a first day pick (2/3) and did something like this?

pick two....David Joseph

With the extra pick we could add the best DB available to address our other achilies heel, like Watkins/Griffin

I'll admit I would love to add a guy like Carpenter or Cromarte, but It just seems that if we had a dominating O-line that our Offense and Defense as it is could be dominant IMO, while the O-Line has just kept us from winning for to long.

It will never happen because it isn't flashy enough. I like your thoughts on it though, and agree that the OLine play this next year will, IMO, be the determining factor as to whether the Cowboys can make it to the SB.

fortdick

Reaction score
Tristan said:
It just seems our O-Line has been holding us hostage.

Hey, can we get that kid, Jacob Rogers, from SC? He has the size and has played in a pro style offense. The voices are saying that he is a sure thing.

What did I do with that medication?

david_jackson

Reaction score
Tristan said:

pick two....David Joseph

If you daft 3 OL which OL are you going to release? We have only so many spots for OL.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
david_jackson said:
If you daft 3 OL which OL are you going to release? We have only so many spots for OL.

That is a dilemma I'm more than willing to face, given the poor showing by the line of the last few years.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
We don't have room on the roster for three new OL guys. Probably one. We will only have roster room for 10 guys max (9 is even possible if we keep 2 kickers) on the OL and only 8 of those will dress.

OT
Adams
Fabini
Petitti

OG
Kozier
Rivera

C
Johnson
Gurode

Likely to be kept: Peterman, Columbo (or one of them)

That's nine. Ideally we snag Joseph or Spencer or maybe Colledge- guys that could compete for a starting job or at worst give us depth at both guard and tackle.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Peterman and Columbo are quite possibly both busts. Only Bill knows. He was quoted once as learning from Laundry that if you don't see something within 3 years, cut ties, because the football life is too short.

If they cut both, then you have 7 and 3 draft picks that could all possibly become starters puts you where they should be. They can run short at another position than OL, like TE or FB if they need a place for the extra K.

Not saying they will, but saying that the possibility is still there because no one has been happy with the OLine for a few years. 2 of the three draft picks might be taking the place of Fabini and Rivera next year (due to age), and for Flozell in the next 3-4 years (due to age). I'm not sold on Kozier (yet), but they gave him too much of a bonus to cut this year.

I am of the opinion that 2 drafted OL would be perfect, but I can see where 3 might possibly make the team.

Woods

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
We don't have room on the roster for three new OL guys. Probably one. We will only have roster room for 10 guys max (9 is even possible if we keep 2 kickers) on the OL and only 8 of those will dress.

OT
Adams
Fabini
Petitti

OG
Kozier
Rivera

C
Johnson
Gurode

Likely to be kept: Peterman, Columbo (or one of them)

That's nine. Ideally we snag Joseph or Spencer or maybe Colledge- guys that could compete for a starting job or at worst give us depth at both guard and tackle.

I've said it in another post, but I'll say it again . . . . I wish we had more concrete information on Colombo's health - other than he's playing racquetball.

Maybe letting Tucker go was a sign of Colombo's knee improving?

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think that letting Tucker go was BP figuring that Columbo was going to be able to compete for a roster slot. That would give us 4 tackles and BP ain't going to keep any more. Now we really only have 3 guards since Gurode is penciled in as either competing for center or the backup. Considering Peterman is a real quesion mark about even making the roster, I think an OG is a given in this draft. that would still only give us 4- which is the limit I think for BP. Now on game days one tackle and one guard will be left inactive. Since Kosier can play 4 positions and Gurode can play both guard and center they are probably there along with Adams, Fabini, RIvera and Johnson. That is if Kosier is not the starter. If he is, then probably they have iether Petitti or Columbo as the backup tackle. Bp would LOVE to only have to dress 7 O linemen- that would allow him to add DL and LB to the active list.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Woods said:
I've said it in another post, but I'll say it again . . . . I wish we had more concrete information on Colombo's health - other than he's playing racquetball.

Maybe letting Tucker go was a sign of Colombo's knee improving?

More likely it's evidence somebody watched the game film from the 2nd skins game before burning it.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
More likely it's evidence somebody watched the game film from the 2nd skins game before burning it.

I think that's a very good assumption. :)

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
fortdick said:
Hey, can we get that kid, Jacob Rogers, from SC? He has the size and has played in a pro style offense. The voices are saying that he is a sure thing.

What did I do with that medication?

Only posters here thought it was a sure thing. Rogers had always been injured and we knew it when we drafted him. Shoulder injuries to Olineman spells trouble like in Tony Boselli's case.

I really would like to see us draft two Olineman on the first day but at least I know we will get one. Now a draft with McNeil, Joseph and Spencer/FS/OLB and I will be crying tears of joy. Nothing wrong with drafting Olineman in my book.