O-line's effectiveness tied to Romo

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
When Bledsoe was our QB, our O-line was thought to be horrid. Insert a very mobile Tony Romo, and all of a sudden our O-line had Probowlers galore.

Then, this year, Tony makes an effort to try and stay in the pocket more and be like Brady. Our O-line starts cracking again and looking anything but like an O-line with multiple Probowlers. Sure, injuries to Kosier and Flobee's injury have been factors, but the biggest factor IMO is a less mobile Romo, more unwilling to use his legs as much to escape the pocket. Then of course ole Brad "egad" Johnson fills in and makes Bledsoe look like Houdini in comparison.

I agree with a posting awhile back and sure hope we get the real Romo back and not the Brady wannabe. I believe that would do our O-line a world of good and I bet they'd look like Probowlers once again.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Brady wanna be? Is that a joke? If he's trying to improve his game by looking at one of the top QB's in the league then I don't see the problem. He's far from a Brady want to be. That's just asinine. Romo is still one of the best QB's in the league and when he comes back he will still through for 30+ TD's by the end of the season.

If you want to blame someone blame Garrett for not leaving TE's and RB to help chip on DE's or for keeping Proctor in after we trade for Holland....or the consistent deep routes he tries to force.....but w.e. makes you feel better.....:rolleyes:

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I agree with this thread......ROMO with is quick release....makes lines look better then they are.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
explain then why they can't run block either.

We put so much focus into having an overpowering offensive line, but they are slow as malasses. And with Columbo and Adams struggling to effectively pass block edge rushers, we're completely unable to do anything offensively.

I don't think its time to rebuild, but its definitely time to retool a lot of things on the personnel coaches, and players.

tunahelper

Reaction score
I see a less mobile Romo as a part of the problem. His skill set of moving and throwing on the run also allows TO to find open areas in a defense. This is what I believe to be the cog in the offensive machine and the lack of motion by TO, which creates open spaces through movement.

Secondary effect when Romo makes efforts to be more of a pocket passer is less throwing lanes available. His lack of height creates issues when trying to see the field over the OL.

Lastly, I see alot of stunts, blitzes to 1 & 3 holes and pressuring up the middle while abusing Proctor.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
tunahelper;2410588 said:
I see a less mobile Romo as a part of the problem. His skill set of moving and throwing on the run also allows TO to find open areas in a defense. This is what I believe to be the cog in the offensive machine and the lack of motion by TO, which creates open spaces through movement.

Secondary effect when Romo makes efforts to be more of a pocket passer is less throwing lanes available. His lack of height creates issues when trying to see the field over the OL.

Lastly, I see alot of stunts, blitzes to 1 & 3 holes and pressuring up the middle while abusing Proctor.

Same it's like Proctor couldn't handle a stunt to save his life.....I'm pretty sure I could send my grandmother on a stunt and she could be Proctor.

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
I agree with the OP. Romo has WAY more mobility than the two nitwits we have as backups. A mobile quarterback works the pocket and the line to his advantage. They don't stand in the pocket, and say "Hey, I'm gonna wait right here, and you keep pushing them away"....

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Romo should not have to run for his life to make this oline look good.

As was already mentioned, the oline is not run blocking either, and are committing too many penalties. Its just playing bad all around, injury excuses or not.

Our blocking scheme is being exploited by every team we face. We try and run....stuffed repeatedly. Too much contact behind the line on our running backs. Try and pass, its like a jail break most of the time with QBs getting hurt.

The scheme, and some of the players need to be changed in the offseason.

Jake0

Reaction score
Dhragon;2410502 said:
When Bledsoe was our QB, our O-line was thought to be horrid. Insert a very mobile Tony Romo, and all of a sudden our O-line had Probowlers galore.

Then, this year, Tony makes an effort to try and stay in the pocket more and be like Brady. Our O-line starts cracking again and looking anything but like an O-line with multiple Probowlers. Sure, injuries to Kosier and Flobee's injury have been factors, but the biggest factor IMO is a less mobile Romo, more unwilling to use his legs as much to escape the pocket. Then of course ole Brad "egad" Johnson fills in and makes Bledsoe look like Houdini in comparison.

I agree with a posting awhile back and sure hope we get the real Romo back and not the Brady wannabe. I believe that would do our O-line a world of good and I bet they'd look like Probowlers once again.

Explain our 1st 3 games of the season then buddy? 10 hours for Romo to stand back there like Brady and do whatever the hell he wants. The problem is Flo's stupid left arm and Proctor being putrid.

links18

Reaction score
Jake0;2411190 said:
Explain our 1st 3 games of the season then buddy? 10 hours for Romo to stand back there like Brady and do whatever the hell he wants. The problem is Flo's stupid left arm and Proctor being putrid.

Why play an injured Flozell if he is a liability and why play Procter when you traded a 5th for Holland? If the answer is Flozell's back-up is worse than he is with one arm and Holland just can't beat out Procter, well than that makes it only than much worse......

Jake0

Reaction score
links18;2411203 said:
Why play an injured Flozell if he is a liability and why play Procter when you traded a 5th for Holland? If the answer is Flozell's back-up is worse than he is with one arm and Holland just can't beat out Procter, well than that makes it only than much worse......

That question has been asked repeatedly over the past 5-6 weeks, nobody knows, one thing's for sure, Wade's ******* doesn't have the balls to bench anybody.

The depth of our OLine is and always was a major concern.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Jake0;2411190 said:

That's an easy one - Cleveland sucks for one. And it took some time for defensive coordinators to see that Romo was staying put all the time. Once they caught on, it became much easier to disrupt and get to Romo.

Again - injuries certainly play a big part. But I think so does less mobility in the QB, which whether you want to believe it or not, Romo had gotten away from this year. Last year, he made defenses pay for collapsing the pocket by moving outside it and scrambling. Now, he just shifts more, ala Brady. Our O-line can't seem to block very well in these cases ( when opponents KNOW where the QB will be ) and so their play has reverted back to Bledsoe days.

With Romo, they will look a ton better than with Brad, but I doubt they'll look quite as good as last year until Romo starts being Romo again.

Jake0

Reaction score
Dhragon;2411316 said:
That's an easy one - Cleveland sucks for one. And it took some time for defensive coordinators to see that Romo was staying put all the time. Once they caught on, it became much easier to disrupt and get to Romo.

Again - injuries certainly play a big part. But I think so does less mobility in the QB, which whether you want to believe it or not, Romo had gotten away from this year. Last year, he made defenses pay for collapsing the pocket by moving outside it and scrambling. Now, he just shifts more, ala Brady. Our O-line can't seem to block very well in these cases ( when opponents KNOW where the QB will be ) and so their play has reverted back to Bledsoe days.

With Romo, they will look a ton better than with Brad, but I doubt they'll look quite as good as last year until Romo starts being Romo again.

Cleveland sucks.. ok... well I'd consider them a mediocre front. Philly? Green Bay pre-Cullen Jenkins injury? I think you're reaching here pal. The problem is scrubs like Travis LaBoy beating Flo when a normal Flo would absolutely maul that scrub 9.5 out of 10 plays and the .5 play he doesn't, Romo would avoid.

Givincer

Reaction score
Dhragon;2410502 said:

I agree with you completely.

Flat out, our offensive line is overrated. And Tony Romo is the reason it is overrated. Because he throws for 36 touchdowns and 4200 yards, and then the offensive line happened to run block well against a dead defense toward the end of games. Your comment about Bledsoe is completely true. How bad did we think our line was when Bledsoe was here? I know I thought it was embarrassing, and was the reason we were not as good as we could've been. Our offense was not being held back by Bledsoe's ability to throw the football, that's for sure...

The only thing I'll take exception with is your point about Romo not being his old self this year. He was doing just fine this year before injury; in fact, I think he's been better than his previous two years. If he has to escape pressure, he will do it. It's obvious having watched him in his first 2 years starting that escaping pressure is a natural thing for him. So many of our big plays come on the heels of him escaping some idiotic amount of pressure that no one should have to escape.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Jake0;2411453 said:
Cleveland sucks.. ok... well I'd consider them a mediocre front. Philly? Green Bay pre-Cullen Jenkins injury? I think you're reaching here pal. The problem is scrubs like Travis LaBoy beating Flo when a normal Flo would absolutely maul that scrub 9.5 out of 10 plays and the .5 play he doesn't, Romo would avoid.

Romo sure was avoiding the Cardinals now wasn't he? Sorry, but last year, he would have avoided most of that pressure Arizona put on him and made them pay for it. Teams knew that and were then more cautious about when and what type pressure to give. Now, they know Romo will stay put and are more encouraged to blitz. Our O-line has once again been outed as mediocre at best.

We need Romo to be more like Staubach than like Aikman with our line. It's that simple. Even if you just think injuries are the only cause of the problem, don't you agree a little more scrambling would be better until our line is healed up at least?

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Givincer;2411489 said:
I agree with you completely.

Flat out, our offensive line is overrated. And Tony Romo is the reason it is overrated. Because he throws for 36 touchdowns and 4200 yards, and then the offensive line happened to run block well against a dead defense toward the end of games. Your comment about Bledsoe is completely true. How bad did we think our line was when Bledsoe was here? I know I thought it was embarrassing, and was the reason we were not as good as we could've been. Our offense was not being held back by Bledsoe's ability to throw the football, that's for sure...

The only thing I'll take exception with is your point about Romo not being his old self this year. He was doing just fine this year before injury; in fact, better than his previous two years. If he has to escape pressure, he will do it. It's obvious having watched him in his first 2 years starting that escaping pressure is a natural thing for him. So many of our big plays come on the heels of him escaping some idiotic amount of pressure that no one should have to escape.

Thanks.

I'm just going by my own perception, no cold hard stats to back it up, but to me it seems along with copying Brady's footwork he has also tried to shift instead of escape.

Now, he HAS looked smoother in his delivery, but to me he is hanging in the pocket more than he ever has before and that is hurting him and letting the defense get to him much more.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2410605 said:
Same it's like Proctor couldn't handle a stunt to save his life.....I'm pretty sure I could send my grandmother on a stunt and she could be Proctor.

Im tired of people pickin' on grannies.

Let me just say I've seen plenty pissed off. Not exactly someone I'd wanna mess with! :eek:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think the o-line is pretty good. It just makes it difficult when opposing teams have no fear in your throwing game and they just prepare to stop the run. They'll look better with Romo behind center and Kosier taking his spot back. If you guys think the Cowboys o-line is bad just look at the Steelers who are a contender. Then Mendenhall and Parker get hurt. Not to mention Roethlisberger has the tendency to hold the ball too long.