Oakland Athletics sign deal for land in Las Vegas

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Oakland is going to out of pro sports.

Seems to be unfortunate, but it seems that city isn't exactly the best city either. Haven't been to Oakland, but I haven't heard much good about them. Wonder if theyll change their name. Las Vegas Athletics doesn't sound right. I could see them going with the Las Vegas Lions as a tribute to Siegfried and Roy. Or, they could be the Vegas Pyros with the pyrotechnics on display frequently in Vegas. Or, I could also see a snake being used given their desert location.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
What is it about Oakland teams that they seem to act like pinball games as regards location?
I suppose the city? It seems to me that it's either A. They are overshadowed by nearby SFO, B. The city sucks, or C. A combo of the two.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Seems to be unfortunate, but it seems that city isn't exactly the best city either. Haven't been to Oakland, but I haven't heard much good about them. Wonder if theyll change their name. Las Vegas Athletics doesn't sound right. I could see them going with the Las Vegas Lions as a tribute to Siegfried and Roy. Or, they could be the Vegas Pyros with the pyrotechnics on display frequently in Vegas. Or, I could also see a snake being used given their desert location.
:muttley:

stumpfoot

Reaction score
Having been born in The Bay I can tell you Oakland has always been a town with a rough edge to it. Nothing new. The Colosseum has been a dump for as long as I can remember. That's another problem. But the biggest problem for the A's is ownership. John Fisher has systematically sabotaged this team since he became involved in the ownership back in 2005. At this point, they have the lowest payroll in baseball and have traded or let walk every decent player we've had. He raised ticket prices and now blames fans for not coming to the games as part of the reason he wants to leave Oakland. But that's how any professional franchise that wants to relocate plays the game. Get rid of the stars, let the facilities rot, raise prices, and then blame the fans for not showing up as to why you need to move. Another sad aspect is MLB is not only allowing it but they cheered it on.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Having been born in The Bay I can tell you Oakland has always been a town with a rough edge to it. Nothing new. The Colosseum has been a dump for as long as I can remember. That's another problem. But the biggest problem for the A's is ownership. John Fisher has systematically sabotaged this team since he became involved in the ownership back in 2005. At this point, they have the lowest payroll in baseball and have traded or let walk every decent player we've had. He raised ticket prices and now blames fans for not coming to the games as part of the reason he wants to leave Oakland. But that's how any professional franchise that wants to relocate plays the game. Get rid of the stars, let the facilities rot, raise prices, and then blame the fans for not showing up as to why you need to move. Another sad aspect is MLB is not only allowing it but they cheered it on.

That is true. The As ownership is notoriously cheap and seems to not have much interest in winning.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Its a pattern that has been used before. As regards all professional leagues, its all about money.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
What is it about Oakland teams that they seem to act like pinball games as regards location?
City doesn't have the money. They won't build new stadiums/arenas and the city citizens won't vote it through. Though, to be fair, I did read the A's team are willing to finance most of a new stadium, but they are unsatisfied with the land that the current stadium sits on. They want a better location (it's currently in a rough area of Oakland). The biggest one though is the attendance is absolutely dismal for the team.

I figured they would just move a little south down to San Jose. San Jose A's sounds fine. It's the 10th largest city in the nation and the team could stay in the same market.

Edit: Nevermind. Just looked it up. I guess that has actually been discussed, but the San Francisco Giants have blocked a move to San Jose. They claim territorial rights to the whole region — including San Jose. Crazy.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
City doesn't have the money. They won't build new stadiums/arenas and the city citizens won't vote it through. Though, to be fair, I did read the A's team are willing to finance most of a new stadium, but they are unsatisfied with the land that the current stadium sits on. They want a better location (it's currently in a rough area of Oakland). The biggest one though is the attendance is absolutely dismal for the team.

I figured they would just move a little south down to San Jose. San Jose A's sounds fine. It's the 10th largest city in the nation and the team could stay in the same market.

Edit: Nevermind. Just looked it up. I guess that has actually been discussed, but the San Francisco Giants have blocked a move to San Jose. They claim territorial rights to the whole region — including San Jose. Crazy.

Makes sense, considering that the 49ers play very close to San Jose.