Obvious that Jerry's "All-In" Meant Something Different

T-RO

Reaction score
It's 100% obvious at this point that Mr. Jones "All-In" comments last spring meant something very different than what fans thought it did. Jerry had a hidden meaning, I think we can be patently sure.

The Cowboys never intended to burn their cap credit cards for free agents, like some here would have loved to see.
The Cowboys have no interest in quick-burn trades that would mortgage their future, as some here would relish.

Which leads us to the central question: What was Jones' actual meaning when he uttered those words?
-Was he just drunk? That's always an option to consider. He's usually on a continuum from a little drunk...to very much so.
-Was he just marketing? Again, we can't ever discount that. On his death bed Jerry will still be pitching his product.

But despite these two considerations...once again...it seems overwhelmingly likely that Jerry had other thoughts in that increasingly addled head of his. And it's indeed possible that the front office had at least some "aggressive" plan in mind.

"Aggressive" can mean a lot of things when it comes to team building--even if it isn't loading up for an immediate big run. Aggressively burn it down? Aggressively go in a different direction with vital players? Aggressively pursue a change of philosophy or coaching...whether immediate or delayed?

I've got more thoughts here...and more questions...but I'd first like to hear from some of you. Since we now know what Jones didn't mean by "All-in"...what did he mean?

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Well yeah, he explained it at the time. It wasn't hidden. Idiots just assumed and didn't listen to what he actually said.

ICP

Reaction score
As somebody else on this board said 'All in due time.'

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It meant they would keep three core players ( Dak, Lamb, and Parsons ) even as the highest paid at their position. Looking back, I think the decision was made knowing exactly what it would take to keep all three. Notice Dak and Lamb are signed and Jerry made it clear last week that Parsons's deal will get done....probably after this season. The "all in" meant we believe these three players give us our best shot at a Super Bowl over the next 3-4 years.

This IMO is why MM has no chance of getting an extension w/o a major postseason advance.

Last edited:

MyFairLady

Reaction score
:facepalm: We’ve known ever since he made the comment and then clarified it the next day but saying all in meant signing Lamb and Dak.
Agree 100%. I knew the moment he said it that this is what he meant. I believe that deep down inside everyone else here knew it as well but did not want to admit it.

Like it or not we are already all in. Have a look at some of the future salary caps. We have been all in for a while.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Listening to everything he said around it, I think the early plan was to convince Dak to take a discount, and with that savings they would have been more aggressive in trying to retain guys like Armstrong and Biadasz.

Once France told them to pound sand, Jerry got upset and said screw it then….let’s see you do more with no help. When that bluff didn’t work they made the choice bewteen two scenarios….one bad and one not great…and caved yet again.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's 100% obvious at this point that Mr. Jones "All-In" comments last spring meant something very different than what fans thought it did. Jerry had a hidden meaning, I think we can be patently sure.

The Cowboys never intended to burn their cap credit cards for free agents, like some here would have loved to see.
The Cowboys have no interest in quick-burn trades that would mortgage their future, as some here would relish.

Which leads us to the central question: What was Jones' actual meaning when he uttered those words?
-Was he just drunk? That's always an option to consider. He's usually on a continuum from a little drunk...to very much so.
-Was he just marketing? Again, we can't ever discount that. On his death bed Jerry will still be pitching his product.

But despite these two considerations...once again...it seems overwhelmingly likely that Jerry had other thoughts in that increasingly addled head of his. And it's indeed possible that the front office had at least some "aggressive" plan in mind.

"Aggressive" can mean a lot of things when it comes to team building--even if it isn't loading up for an immediate big run. Aggressively burn it down? Aggressively go in a different direction with vital players? Aggressively pursue a change of philosophy or coaching...whether immediate or delayed?

I've got more thoughts here...and more questions...but I'd first like to hear from some of you. Since we now know what Jones didn't mean by "All-in"...what did he mean?
he did mean all in.

all into his pocket that is...cha ching.

just follow the money and it will all make sense. we are not a football team. we are a business franchise focused on maximizing profits at any cost.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By01Y8c.png

Sydla

Reaction score
Nah, I absolutely think that in the heat of that moment, Jerry was thinking he was going all in and gonna buy players, etc. Jerry has never been one to guard his emotions. So in that moment, I think he very much thought, yeah, I am gonna go hog wild here in transforming the roster. But like always, once he huddles with his dipwad of a son and other "advisors" he backs off his comment.

The exact same thing happened when he was pissed about the GB game and said there will be accountability. In that moment, he wanted to blow torch people. But then he goes home, realizes what he said will cost him money and literally holds no one accountable.

I always believe the first thing out of Jerry's mouth likely has the greatest likelihood that it is true. Everything after that is Jerry and his son trying to spin that first comment away.

foofighters

Reaction score

He and Stephen backpedaled on that all Spring. Didn't you see the interviews? Jerry even snipped back a little.