Obviously we start Johnson, ...

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
we have no other choice, no QB can come in and learn the offense in 3-4 days.

But since this is just for one game, and it is against the NYG, we can't match them straight up with all of our injuries.

So I say we start Johnson, and hope he plays turnover free again, ... BUT, I would prepare a certain package for Bollinger, and I would prepare a package for snapping directly to Barber.

Put together a set of plays that play to Bollingers strengths, that could catch the Giants off guard.

And a set for snapping directly to Barber in short yardage, etc.

I would look for the right situation to throw a fake punt in too.

It sounds crazy but we have to pull out all of the stops since we are so undermanned.

And then hope that our D can play like they did against the Bucs.

We can't hope to win playing the Giants straight up. IMO

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Brad Johnson should have been cut before training camp

Mansta54

Reaction score
Nors;2378963 said:
Brad Johnson should have been cut before training camp

But he wasn't and he's on the team and his arse should be on the bench. We've seen enough of his work..

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
lear the offense in 3-4 days? hasn't he been here for like a month now?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Look folks. Here's the deal. Bollinger sucks too. We just haven't SEEN him suck in a Dallas uniform. That doesn't make him a better option.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Rampage;2378983 said:
lear the offense in 3-4 days? hasn't he been here for like a month now?

I was talking about Culpepper, or some other QB out there.

Who are you talking about?

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
I disagree.

The problem with starting Johnson, BEYOND his minimal physical skills is, is that it's going to be that much easier for the Giants to stop the running game because they don't have to worry about even mid range throws. It would be one thing if Johnson could at least get the ball down the field and there was the chance for him to complete a 15 yard pass. He can't.

Also, vs the Giant pass rush, Johnson is a sitting duck.

I'd start Bollinger. Not because he's necessarily a better QB but because he won't allow the Giants to concentrate purely on the running game and rushing the QB.

It's about match ups. I think Johnson probably was the better choice vs the Bucs. He's not the better choice vs the Giants.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2378994 said:
I was talking about Culpepper, or some other QB out there.

Who are you talking about?
I thought you were talking about bollinger since were not gonna sign another qb till the offseason.

Mansta54

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2378992 said:
Look folks. Here's the deal. Bollinger sucks too. We just haven't SEEN him suck in a Dallas uniform. That doesn't make him a better option.

Are you kidding!!!! He at least deserves a shot in a Boyz uniform, we don't know hat he'll do but we do know what BJ will do. Absolutely nothing!!!

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Juke99;2379002 said:
I disagree.

I'd start Bollinger.

There is a reason Johnson is 2nd string and Bollinger is 3rd.

That being said, Johnson must give us the best chance to win, according to the coaches.

But I would like to see them throw a few wrinkles at the Giants with the packages I mentioned in my OP.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Mansta54;2379018 said:
Are you kidding!!!! He at least deserves a shot in a Boyz uniform, we don't know hat he'll do but we do know what BJ will do. Absolutely nothing!!!

There is a reason Johnson was employed and Bollinger looking for work week 1.

Mansta54

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2379022 said:

That being said, Johnson must give us the best chance to win, according to the coaches.

But I would like to see them throw a few wrinkles at the Giants with the packages I mentioned in my OP.

His experience and the fact that he's been in the O for 2yrs but he's proved that doesn't matter because he's incapable of playing at the NFL level anymore. You don't have to be a coach to see that.. He's awful!!!!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2378992 said:
If the guy hasn't even taken a snap with the 1s, I'm not sure how they could even determine how much he sucks.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Juke99;2379002 said:
I disagree.

The problem with starting Johnson, BEYOND his minimal physical skills is, is that it's going to be that much easier for the Giants to stop the running game because they don't have to worry about even mid range throws. It would be one thing if Johnson could at least get the ball down the field and there was the chance for him to complete a 15 yard pass. He can't.

Also, vs the Giant pass rush, Johnson is a sitting duck.

I'd start Bollinger. Not because he's necessarily a better QB but because he won't allow the Giants to concentrate purely on the running game and rushing the QB.

It's about match ups. I think Johnson probably was the better choice vs the Bucs. He's not the better choice vs the Giants.

Where have you and your brain been? Finally somebody who knows a lil X's n O's:starspin

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;2379039 said:
If the guy hasn't even taken a snap with the 1s, I'm not sure how they could even determine how much he sucks.

In this case, past performance is necessarily indicative of future results.

His signing was designed, at best, to give us someone who we could eventually coach up to a Brad Johnson-level for next year.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2379022 said:

There are no wrinkles to throw. He's too limited to allow for wrinkles.

And I don't agree with your logic here. You're saying coaches never make mistakes? I remember a guy named Parcells starting Brown over Simms. I remember a guy named Landry taking years to decide between Morton and Staubach.

Coaches make mistakes all the time.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2379057 said:
In this case, past performance is necessarily indicative of future results.

His signing was designed, at best, to give us someone who we could eventually coach up to a Brad Johnson-level for next year.
Garrett apparently likes the guy. We passed on some other players (Chris Simms) that have shown they can actually perform in the NFL for the guy, so obviously Garrett thinks the guy can be a competent backup. I'm not sure how much more he could possibly learn in the next 8 months such that he'd be in a position to be behind Brad Johnson right now.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Mansta54;2379036 said:
His experience and the fact that he's been in the O for 2yrs but he's proved that doesn't matter because he's incapable of playing at the NFL level anymore. You don't have to be a coach to see that.. He's awful!!!!

I saw what you saw. I saw all of the open receivers he missed, I see his inablility to get the ball downfield.

But he threw 19 completions in 33 trys, with no interceptions or fumbles.

We could do worse than that, and I fear we would if we threw BB in against the Giants "D".

We have no other choice but to start BJ, but I would love to throw in a few wrinkles that I mentioned in my OP.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;2379063 said:
Garrett apparently likes the guy. We passed on some other players (Chris Simms) that have shown they can actually perform in the NFL for the guy, so obviously Garrett thinks the guy can be a competent backup. I'm not sure how much more he could possibly learn in the next 8 months such that he'd be in a position to be behind Brad Johnson right now.

You don't think he might learn something from, you know, actually practicing with the first team for a few weeks. Maybe even playing in a pre-season game or two?

Again, what the team "thinks of him" is that they need a vet for next year to go with whatever 2nd day QB we pick up.