Obviously we start Johnson, ...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;2379063 said:
Garrett apparently likes the guy.

Oh yeah. Garrett apparently like Johnson too. So much for that evaluation.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bottom line....

Brad Johnson's numbers this season are worse than Brooks Bollinger's numbers for his career. And Brooks Bollinger has never come close to having this sort of talent around him.

So the ONLY problem would be that he doesn't know the system. And I find that hard to believe after being here for nearly 2 months.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2379068 said:
I saw what you saw. I saw all of the open receivers he missed, I see his inablility to get the ball downfield.

But he threw 19 completions in 33 trys, with no interceptions or fumbles.

We could do worse than that, and I fear we would if we threw BB in against the Giants "D".

We have no other choice but to start BJ, but I would love to throw in a few wrinkles that I mentioned in my OP.

Your reasoning is based on fear, man up the loins of your mind...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2379075 said:
Oh yeah. Garrett apparently like Johnson too. So much for that evaluation.
Apparently not, or else he wouldn't have signed up Bollinger.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Juke99;2379002 said:
The problem with starting Johnson, BEYOND his minimal physical skills is, is that it's going to be that much easier for the Giants to stop the running game because they don't have to worry about even mid range throws. It would be one thing if Johnson could at least get the ball down the field and there was the chance for him to complete a 15 yard pass. He can't.

Also, vs the Giant pass rush, Johnson is a sitting duck.

I'd start Bollinger. Not because he's necessarily a better QB but because he won't allow the Giants to concentrate purely on the running game and rushing the QB.

It's about match ups. I think Johnson probably was the better choice vs the Bucs. He's not the better choice vs the Giants.
:fact:

But do the Cowboys front office people agree?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;2379077 said:
Bottom line....

Brad Johnson's numbers this season are worse than Brooks Bollinger's numbers for his career. And Brooks Bollinger has never come close to having this sort of talent around him.

So the ONLY problem would be that he doesn't know the system. And I find that hard to believe after being here for nearly 2 months.

Actually the bottom line is this. Both Johnson and Bollinger suck. Nothing is going to change that and playing Bollinger over Johnson isn't going to make a difference.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;2379082 said:
Apparently not, or else he wouldn't have signed up Bollinger.

We were after a 3rd QB no matter what. As any team with a 90 year old #2 would be.

Eddie

Reaction score
Send a first over to Cleveland for Brady Quinn.

:bow:

silver

Reaction score
Juke99;2379058 said:
There are no wrinkles to throw. He's too limited to allow for wrinkles.

And I don't agree with your logic here. You're saying coaches never make mistakes? I remember a guy named Parcells starting Brown over Simms. I remember a guy named Landry taking years to decide between Morton and Staubach.

Coaches make mistakes all the time.

i totally agree. i've seen enough of Johnson to realize he's not going to snap out of his 3 year funk.

you forgot to mention Bill kept Romo 4 years on the bench while we watched the likes of Quincy, Vinny and Bledsoe. Talk about taking years to decide. The argument has always been that Romo wouldn't be ready but those 3 guys that preceded him weren't ready or any good either. So let's give Bollinger a chance. Who knows? he might be the back up we need. Lord knows Johnson won't be back next year.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2379086 said:
he's just being Mr. Contrarian

no, contrarian would be suggesting that Johnson was in any way a good QB at this point

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2379093 said:
Actually the bottom line is this. Both Johnson and Bollinger suck. Nothing is going to change that and playing Bollinger over Johnson isn't going to make a difference.

I don't know how you could be so sure

Bollinger offers a different skill-set that Johnson just doesn't have, and their stats have been pretty similar as of late

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2379121 said:
no, contrarian would be suggesting that Johnson was in any way a good QB at this point

no, contrarian would mean you're just here to disagree

Eddie

Reaction score
If we weren't running a charity old folks home, would Brad Johnson even be on an NFL roster right now?

txlonghorn14

Reaction score
I would start Bollinger against NYG on Sunday, at least he's more mobile and the Giants wouldn't know exactly what to expect from him. Putting Johnson behind center would not be the best option because he can't move out of the pocket, and his range just isn't there. The Cowboys become a one-dimensional football team with the running game becoming the primary focus. The Giants D will eat up Barber all day long because they'll be looking for the run 75% of the time. Check downs and screen passes ain't gonna git r done against the Giants. At least Bollinger is more mobile and is capable of getting away from the rush.

On the other side of the coin, we know Johnson can manage the game, and knows how not to turn the ball over.

I still think against the potent Giants defense, Brooks Bollinger should start on Sunday. :starspin

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
silver;2379116 said:
i totally agree. i've seen enough of Johnson to realize he's not going to snap out of his 3 year funk.

you forgot to mention Bill kept Romo 4 years on the bench while we watched the likes of Quincy, Vinny and Bledsoe. Talk about taking years to decide. The argument has always been that Romo wouldn't be ready but those 3 guys that preceded him weren't ready or any good either. So let's give Bollinger a chance. Who knows? he might be the back up we need. Lord knows Johnson won't be back next year.

Good point about next year.

I saw Bollinger with the Jets. He was ok.

My problem with Johnson is that he is alarmingly one dimensional. And against a defense like the Giants, that's going to be a problem. Not to mention, if it happens to be a windy day in Giant's stadium, which is pretty typical, Johnson stands the risk of throwing a ball and having it come back to him like a boomerang. :D

Iamtdg

Benched
Reaction score
Eddie;2379096 said:
Send a first over to Cleveland for Brady Quinn.

:bow:

We don't have a first. Remember?

And, starting Bollinger over Johnson is the best thing to do. You, at the very least, take away the statue in the pocket that the Giants can gameplan for.

Blitz blitz blitz. If you have Bollinger in there, maybe he can get out of the pocket and away from pressure.

Oh, and maybe he can, you know, throw the damn ball more than 5 yards accurately. Wait. I'm giving Brad too much credit. He threw a 5 yard screen pass into the ground this week. Nevermind.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2379093 said:

At least Bollinger can throw the ball more than 30 yards without the aid of a rocket launcher.