CFZ Odell Beckham vs Brandin Cooks

quickccc

Reaction score
Somehow I don’t feel as bad about not acquiring this version of OJ Beckham that's sign on with Baltimore Ravens, as I thought I would.
Despite his great speed game, Brandin Cooks has never been considered on a par with a healthy Beckham as a pure receiver.

Underline healthy, because that is the key issue with OJ.

- My biggest concerns with Beckham is his current ACL recovery and not even playing a year back to get into play form. it’s time-consuming adjustment.
And this is a guy that is now in his 30’s and has had two ACL injuries.
But I’m starting to be concerned about his durability and hitting age 30 does not help matters.

- Other factors ? Ego? Diva? . Whiner ? He’s an ultra emotional competitor but I think its way to go about that.
Tandrum fits, Locker room and off field remarks, Trade demands or release. Conflicts with the QBs, That seems to have been past issues.

- And for whatever reason, he’s now been on four different team in a short matter of years now.
Although ditto for Brandin Cooks - and his own various teams in short years too. (NO, NE, LA Rams, Houston, now Dallas)

- If physically fit and anything close to his previous form, - OBJ can be an elite WR with the long speed, shake release,
dynamite footwork and open field run skills, and marvelous body control agility and hands to make spectacular difficult catches, even with
defenders hanging all over him.

- Cook is a quality receiver himself, and he’ll add his own game and version of speed and run skills to this team,
And he has not had the ACL and durability issues as OJB, and i continue to love that we traded for him so cheaply (only two late round picks instead
of a premium high pick (as Texans reportedly demanding during the reg season)

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Somehow I don’t feel as bad about not acquiring this version of OJ Beckham that's sign on with Baltimore Ravens, as I thought I would.
Despite his great speed game, Brandin Cooks has never been considered on a par with a healthy Beckham as a pure receiver.

- My biggest concerns with Beckham is his current ACL recovery and not even playing a year back to get into play form. it’s time-consuming adjustment.
But I’m starting to be concerned about his durability and hitting age 30 does not help matters.

- Other factors ? Ego? Diva? . Whiner ? He’s an ultra emotional competitor but I think its way to go about that.
Tandrum fits, Locker room and off field remarks, Trade demands or release. Conflicts with the QBs, That seems to have been past issues.

- And for whatever reason, he’s now been on four different team in a short matter of years now.
Although ditto for Brandin Cooks - and his own various teams in short years too. (NO, NE, LA Rams, Houston, now Dallas)

- If physically fit and anything close to his previous form, - OBJ can be an elite WR with the long speed, shake release,
dynamite footwork and open field run skills, and marvelous body control agility and hands to make spectacular difficult catches, even with

- Cook is a quality receiver himself, and he’ll add his own game and version of speed and run skills to this team,
And he has not had the ACL and durability issues as OJB, and i continue to love that we traded for him so cheaply (only two late round picks instead
healthy Beckham? When was that? Didnt play last year. Played only the last few games the year prior then got hurt again. He didnt do much in Cleveland and was hurt off and on.

That would have been a complete waste. Cooks plays, has the speed we need, and is consistent. He is a very good receiver. High end #2 WR. AT a very reasonable price and we got him at an even more reasonable price.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I like Odell, and thought he would fit nicely in our offense. Gamebreaking receiver with great hands and speed, and would've brought a ton experience that could've benefited the younger guys. No way would I ever consider paying 18m for a guy coming off of 2 ACL tears and having missed all of last season. Bringing in Cooks was the right move and I'm happy to have him.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
Outside of the WOW catch, I can’t think of anything OBJ does better than Cooks, and how many WOW catches happen in a game anyway? We got the healthier, more consistent, cheaper player

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Never any question who the better receiver is.

The attraction to OBJ came when we needed receiver help and Noah Brown was getting too many reps. During the season. Offseason? Way more options available.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Outside of the WOW catch, I can’t think of anything OBJ does better than Cooks, and how many WOW catches happen in a game anyway? We got the healthier, more consistent, cheaper player
At times I thought OBJ, and now others. Practice and want to have those WOW catches in a game for highlight reels. When in fact they miss some catches if they were to just use both hands like a receiver should.

erod

Reaction score
Cooks made a million percent more sense.

Beckham may play 3 games this year, and nobody would be shocked.

JBS

Reaction score
The Odell character concerns on this board are waaaaay overblown. If you have doubts about whether he can produce on the field, those are absolutely valid. But his character is fine.

ghst187

Reaction score
I just hope Cooks doesn’t get injured while Odell goes injury free all season…not that I’m wishing injury on anyone….just that we’ve made such a big issue about it…

blueblood70

Reaction score

hes every bit ON PAR with OBJ.. Cooper, OBJ, or Cooks all the SAME CAREER PRODCUTION in similar type of player skillsets. none are on par with Hopkins types or elite types you are blinded by few highlight catches and a handful of great years coipled with his hollywoood stsus on SM type..

but IMHO none of those 3 are on par with the elite groups but they are all on par with each other

DHOP was the only one of the 4 we could hope for that is above the others,

JayFord

Reaction score
OBJ is a top 5 wide receiver in his prime and when hes healthy lets not kid ourselves

however tearing an ACL i believe two times now? at a position where you cut hard about 75% of the game? thats a HUGE factor

Cooks however is a great receiver as well....hes going to be EXCELLENT as wide receiver #2 because you HAVE to account for him and his ability

I wouldve like OBJ and wouldve been hype to have him as our WR but the acl bothers me.....like REALLY bothers me

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Statistically over the last 3 seasons Cooks is a far superior player.

OBJ appeal was getting a guy as a free agent in the latter portion of a season to boost a playoff run.
There was very little appeal for signing him this year and then at this cost there was zero appeal
Amari at 22M is a better value than OBJ at 15M. Cooks at 6M is vastly superior to either.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
OBJ is a top 5 wide receiver in his prime and when hes healthy lets not kid ourselves

however tearing an ACL i believe two times now? at a position where you cut hard about 75% of the game? thats a HUGE factor

Cooks however is a great receiver as well....hes going to be EXCELLENT as wide receiver #2 because you HAVE to account for him and his ability

I wouldve like OBJ and wouldve been hype to have him as our WR but the acl bothers me.....like REALLY bothers me
OBJ has not been a Pro Bowl level player since 2016.

Put another way Zeke has been an All Pro and Pro Bowler many times since then.

What OBJ did in 2014-2016 is not at all relative to what he is now.