Off Topic - MLB Draft

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sorry guys, I know this is not suppose to be here, but it's really the only place where it will be seen fairly quickly. My work has limited our use of the Internet to only selected sites. Luckily, cowboyszone is one of them. Must have a fan somewhere in management!! Anyways, I was wondering if anyone can please post a list of the MLB draft going on right now, and who has been drafted by whom. Thanks.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
numnuts23 said:
Sorry guys, I know this is not suppose to be here, but it's really the only place where it will be seen fairly quickly. My work has limited our use of the Internet to only selected sites. Luckily, cowboyszone is one of them. Must have a fan somewhere in management!! Anyways, I was wondering if anyone can please post a list of the MLB draft going on right now, and who has been drafted by whom. Thanks.

Here's an article on the first round along with a list of players. Hope this helps.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/...7&content_id=1079512&vkey=draft2005&fext=.jsp

06/07/2005 2:44 PM ET
Position players go fast in first round
Four infielders, catcher taken with initial five draft picks
By Kevin Czerwinski / MLB.com

Alex Gordon can hit for power and average and has good speed. (Scott Bruhn/University of Nebraska)
MLB Headlines

• D-Backs take Upton with Draft's top pick
• Position players go fast in first round
• Abreu makes move in NL All-Star voting
• Penny, Dodgers agree on extension
• Sox get 'Queer Eye' overhaul Tuesday
• Bagwell undergoes successful surgery
• Reds' Pena set to come off DL
• Fantasy 411: June 7
• More MLB Headlines

ADVERTISEMENT
print this page | e-mail this page
NEW YORK -- There was little suspense early Tuesday afternoon when the Arizona Diamondbacks, as expected, made Justin Upton the top pick in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft.
Upton, out of Great Bridge High School in Chesapeake, Va., and the younger brother of Devil Rays prospect B.J. Upton, the No. 2 overall selection in 2002, was rated by most scouts and publications as the consensus best player available in this year's draft and was Arizona's target player all along despite its need for pitching.

Upton, however, said he was in the dark until his name was actually called.

"It didn't get tense until last night," Upton told MLB.com. "I had no clue until today. It was pretty rough the last couple of days."

His selection marked the third consecutive year and sixth time in the last seven years that the top pick had been a high school player. The Padres tabbed infielder Matt Bush a year ago with the No. 1 pick while Tampa Bay grabbed Delmon Young in 2003. The selection was the highest ever for Arizona, whose previous highest selection was fourth in 1999.

"We feel Justin is a potential impact player in the Major Leagues," Arizona scouting director Mike Rizzo said. "He was the top guy on our board. The college pitching was something that had some allure to us but it was just too tough to pass up this player. We feel that he was clearly the best player in this year's draft and although we have several players at that position we feel that this was a guy too good and too talented to walk away from.

"I've just seen this kid play so many times. I've got so much background on him and he's excelled at every level he's been at. He's exceeded all age groups and timeframes and everything else and he was the guy I really focused in on. I've always personally leaned toward Justin going as far back as when we, I guess you would say 'clinched,' the first pick in the draft last year."

Upton became the fifth shortstop ever taken with the No. 1 overall pick, joining Matt Bush (Padres, 2004), Alex Rodriguez (Mariners, 1993), Chipper Jones (Braves, 1990) and Shawon Dunston (Cubs, 1982).

Kansas City chose Nebraska third baseman Alex Gordon with the second selection while Seattle opted for University of Southern California catcher Jeff Clement with the third pick. Washington stayed in its own backyard with the fourth pick, taking University of Virginia third baseman Ryan Zimmerman while Milwaukee hoped to add to a Minor League system already stocked with some top-level prospects by choosing University of Miami third baseman Ryan Braun with the fifth pick.

After negotiating with Stephen Drew, their first-round pick in 2004, for an entire year, the D-Backs figure to sign Upton and get him on the field as quickly as possible. Drew was represented by agent Scott Boras, who also represents collegians Mike Pelfrey, Luke Hochevar and Craig Hansen, pitchers Arizona had some interest in before settling on Upton. The D-Backs had indicated that dealing with Boras once again would not be an issue when it came time to decide whom they would choose with the top pick.

Complete coverage >Upton, like Drew and 2002 first-round pick Sergio Santos, is a shortstop, lending to the belief held by many that he is destined to find his mark in the Major Leagues as an outfielder or perhaps shift to third base, though no decision has been made yet about any of the trio's future. The D-Backs still have to sign Upton, who figures to ink a deal that could match the $5.5 million pact signed last month by Drew.

Gordon helped lead the Cornhuskers to a victory in the NCAA Lincoln Regional this weekend. Nebraska will host Miami and Braun this weekend in Super Regional action with the winner advancing to the College World Series. The consensus All-America, whom some believed would be the top pick in the draft, is hitting .382 this season with 18 homers and 62 RBIs with 23 stolen bases in 67 games. He is a career .357 hitter at Nebraska with 43 homers, 185 RBIs and 43 steals in 184 games.

"He's a good third baseman who can hit for power and average," one Major League scout said. "He has very few flaws. I think he squats too much in his stance and occasionally chokes the bat with his top hand but those are two flaws that are easily corrected. I think he's squatting because he's seeing a lot of junkball pitchers in college. They're pitching around him more so he has to be patient at the plate. In pro ball, they're going to challenge him and he's going to be free to do more of what comes naturally.

2005 MLB Draft: 1st Round
PICK PLAYER
1. ARI Justin Upton SS
2. KC Alex Gordon 3B
3. SEA Jeff Clement C
4. WSH Ryan Zimmerman 3B
5. MIL Ryan Braun 3B
6. TOR Ricardo Romero LHP
7. COL Troy Tulowitzki SS
8. TB Wade Townsend RHP
9. NYM Michael Pelfrey RHP
10. DET Cameron Maybin CF
11. PIT Andrew McCutchen CF
12. CIN Jay Bruce CF
13. BAL Brandon Snyder C
14. CLE Trevor Crowe CF
15. CWS Lance Broadway RHP
16. FLA Christopher Volstad RHP
17. NYY Carl Henry SS
18. SD Cesar Carrillo RHP
19. TEX John Mayberry RF
20. CHC Mark Pawelek LHP
21. OAK Clifton Pennington SS
22. FLA Aaron Thompson LHP
23. BOS Jacoby Ellsbury CF
24. HOU Brian Bogusevic LHP
25. MIN Matthew Albidrez-Garza RHP
26. BOS Craig Hansen RHP
27. ATL Joseph Devine RHP
28. STL Colby Rasmus CF
29. FLA Jacob Marceaux RHP
30. STL James Greene SS

"I think he'll definitely move fast through the Minors. He's a true third baseman that can make the plays, especially on the slow rollers. That's the sign of a legitimate third baseman. A lot of times amateur third basemen have problems with the slow rollers, whether they are dunks or slowly hit balls. He makes those plays very easily."

Clement fills Seattle's glaring need for a catcher. He can hit, drawing comparisons to Mike Piazza at the plate. But he's also drawn comparisons to Piazza because of his shortcomings behind the plate. Still, he figures to move fast through the system if he can adapt to tougher pitching in pro ball.

USC advanced to this weekend's Super Regional against Oregon State by topping Pepperdine on Monday. Clement is hitting .347 with 13 homers and 50 RBIs and a .606 slugging percentage. The highest-drafted catcher chosen since the Twins grabbed Joe Mauer with the top overall pick in 2001, Clement may also be asked to switch positions to take better advantage of his bat.

"My receiving skills have gotten a lot better," Clement said. "I feel that every part of my catching, whether it's blocking, throwing or receiving, I expect it to get a lot better. I want to catch unless someone thinks I'm better suited at another position. If anyone asked me to move, I'd have no problem trying another position."

Braun, who heads into a showdown with Gordon this weekend, is considered by some scouts to be better than his Nebraska counterpart. He's hitting .396 with 18 homers, 75 RBIs and a .741 slugging percentage.

In Zimmerman, Washington got a contact hitter whose upside comes close to that of Gordon. He hit .393 for the Cavaliers with six homers and 59 RBIs to go along with 17 steals and 136 total bases.

"He's a great makeup kid and very good defensively, probably better than Gordon," one National League scout said. "He doesn't have the raw power and the swing of a Gordon but he's a good hitter and he makes good contact. He's going to have some power down the road and he doesn't strike out a lot."

The first pitcher didn't go until the Blue Jays grabbed Ricky Romero with the sixth pick out of Cal State-Fullerton. Romero leads Fullerton into this weekend's Super Regional at Arizona State with a 12-5 record and a 2.95 ERA in 17 starts. He has fanned 132 batters in 125 innings, walking only 33.

Romero sparked a mini-run on pitching, with the Devil Rays grabbing former Rice standout Wade Townsend with the eighth pick after Colorado tabbed Long Beach State shortstop Troy Tulowitzki with the seventh pick. Townsend was chosen eighth overall last year by Baltimore but couldn't come to terms and went back into the draft.

If he signs with Tampa Bay, he'll join former teammate Jeff Niemann, whom the Devil Rays grabbed last season with the fourth overall pick. Townsend was 12-0 with a 1.80 ERA for Rice in 2004 and has been working out for the better part of a month in preparation for the draft. He finished his college career with a 25-3 mark, posting a 2.05 ERA in 66 games.

The Mets grabbed Wichita State right-hander Mike Pelfrey with the ninth pick. He has a fastball that tops out in the high 90s, which helped him rack up 143 strikeouts in 139 2/3 innings. Pelfrey was 12-3 with a 1.93 ERA in 19 starts but there are concerns about how quickly he will sign because he is a Boras client. The Mets, after signing with Boras client Carlos Beltran as a free agent last winter, have shown a willingness to spend some cash and work with the agent.

The Rockies got a solid player in Tulowitzki, who hit .349 with eight homers and 29 RBIs to earn All-America and All-Big West Conference honors.

The high schools reigned in picks 10-13 with Detroit kicking off the run at No. 10 by choosing outfielder Cameron Maybin from T.C. Roberson High in North Carolina. The Pirates then tabbed outfielder Andrew McCutchen out of Ft. Meade High in Florida. Baltimore, having lost out on Townsend last year, grabbed catcher Brandon Snyder, whose father Bryan was a Major League pitcher, from Westfield High in Virginia with the 13th pick.

Arizona outfielder Trevor Crowe went to the Indians at No. 14 while Texas Christian pitcher Lance Broadway landed with the White Sox at 15. Crowe hit .403 with nine homers and 54 RBIs in 60 games before Arizona got bounced by Cal State-Fullerton from the NCAA tournament last weekend. Broadway, meanwhile, went 15-1 with a 1.62 ERA in 19 games (16 starts).

Prep stars Chris Volstad -- a 6-foot-7 right-hander who has mid-90s heat -- went 16th to the Marlins out of Palm Beach Gardens High (Fla.) before the Yankees grabbed shortstop and Boras client C.J. Henry out of Putnam City High (Okla.) at 17. Henry is also an exceptional basketball player but is expected to pursue baseball; hence his decision to go with Boras.

The Padres took right-hander Cesar Carillo at 18, making Miami the only school to have two players go in the first round. Carillo snapped a two-game losing streak this weekend as the Hurricanes advanced to the Super Regionals. He is 13-2 this season and is 25-2 in his college career.

Stanford outfielder John Mayberry Jr., whose stock dropped during the season, slid to 19th, where the Rangers grabbed him. The son of former big leaguer John Mayberry can also play first base but one scout wasn't particularly impressed with his 2005 season.

"You can dream what you want with him at 6-foot-5 and that right-handed power," one National League scout said. "He's raised some questions with everybody this year and teams are going to have to filter through that. He hasn't had a lot of power this year but someone is going to bite on that one pretty big."

The Cubs, at 20, and the Marlins, at 22, each took high school pitchers, tabbing Mark Pawelek (Springville High, Utah) and Aaron Thompson (Second Baptist School, Texas), respectively. Otherwise the colleges dominated the back end of the first round.

Five collegiate pitchers were chosen between picks 24-29, the most intriguing of which was Tulane southpaw Brian Bogusevic, who went to the Astros at 24. He's also an outfielder but Houston has him tabbed for mound work, seemingly a smart move considering he leads the Green Wave with 13 wins heading into this weekend's Super Regional against Rice. Opponents are hitting .239 against him and he has 119 strikeouts en route to becoming the fourth first-round pick in Tulane history. Bogusevic is also hitting .324 with 21 RBIs despite missing nearly two months with a hamstring problem.

The Cardinals closed out the first round by selecting Georgia Tech shortstop James Greene.

Kevin Czerwinski is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

print this page | e-mail this page

parchy

Reaction score
# of Texas players taken in draft: 4
# of Baylor players taken in draft: 7

Baylor's record against Texas this year: 4-0

Muwahahaha... sic em bears!!