Offense Finally Headed In The Right Direction

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I've been hard on McCarthy's Texas Coast offense. But I have to give him credit on Sunday, not only in the overall game plan, but how the game was called.
  • Way more 1st down passing, and liberal use of play action (even though they weren't really running the ball yet)
  • More outside runs
  • More Brandin Cooks targets
  • Feeding CeeDee when he's open
  • TE routes in play action
It was a great game plan, from the first play. This is the first time I've felt like this about a McCarthy and Dak offense since McCarthy has arrived, a complete offensive game based on the team's strengths.

On to Philly, the next test, but I'm encouraged...

:starspin:

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I’m encouraged a bit, but the running game struggles are still concerning to me. But I’m glad that the passing game threatened an opponent down the field.
My only concern with the running game is McCarthy being dedicated to it. This team shouldn't run the ball as much anymore, the offensive line is not built for it...certainly not inside runs. But, they should THREATEN to run the ball a lot, using play action.

And I'm not saying abandon the run altogether, but this offense is a passing offense now. The Texas Coast Offense should utilize a lot of short passes and screens, which are basically long handoffs...the receivers just need to get open, quickly. If not, Dak shouldn't always "try to make a play", instead just throw the ball away. Avoid the negative play, every play doesn't need to be a success, just make sure it's not a complete failure.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
I've been hard on McCarthy's Texas Coast offense. But I have to give him credit on Sunday, not only in the overall game plan, but how the game was called.
  • Way more 1st down passing, and liberal use of play action (even though they weren't really running the ball yet)
  • More outside runs
It was a great game plan, from the first play. This is the first time I've felt like this about a McCarthy and Dak offense since McCarthy has arrived, a complete offensive game based on the team's strengths.

It's like the coaches are calling with more of a sense of URGENCY and looking to DICTATE. Play to your strenghts, play action. Pass to set up the run. More motion.. more vertical passing.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yesterday reminded me of your typical Kellen Moore-called game…..

Beat the living crap out of an inferior team at home and pad your numbers.

Exactly how we ended up being “first in this stat, or top five in that stat, etc.”

I’m not complaining, but they’ve gotta win this division somehow if this season is going to amount to anything. Get me a very ugly win next week and I’ll be much more confident.

I just hope they don’t begin to get complacent off games like yesterday. That’s been a major problem. MM should be reminding them of the SF debacle daily. Jerry works directly against that with his mouth.

Jipper

Reaction score

Exactly how we ended up being “first in this stat, or top five in that stat, etc.”

I’m not complaining, but they’ve gotta win this division somehow if this season is going to amount to anything. Get me a very ugly win next week and I’ll be much more confident.

I just hope they don’t begin to get complacent off games like yesterday. That’s been a major problem. MM should be reminding them of the SF debacle daily. Jerry works directly against that with his mouth.
Well they have won two in a row and the offense is going in the right direction so I guess we have to just be happy with what it is.

A w against Philly or even a very tight loss and I will be back in on this team, but they still need to show something

rags747

Reaction score

Exactly what I was going to post, seemed to finally be much more of the old offense with throws down the field. Much much better than the Texas Toast we started out with!

fivetwos

Reaction score
Well they have won two in a row and the offense is going in the right direction so I guess we have to just be happy with what it is.

A w against Philly or even a very tight loss and I will be back in on this team, but they still need to show something
Yeah I didn’t like making a post with that vibe after a nice win, but I’d prefer to face facts at this point….all while trying like hell to enjoy the ride.

I mean, at least we know they are indeed capable of opening things up a little.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Finally, someone who can catch the ball down the field over the middle

Jipper

Reaction score
Yeah I didn’t like making a post with that vibe after a nice win, but I’d prefer to face facts at this point….all while trying like hell to enjoy the ride.

I mean, at least we know they are indeed capable of opening things up a little.
Yeah it's just hard to get excited about the regular season when it feels like we never get past the divisional round

erod

Reaction score
  • More outside runs

Lol, it was the Rams. Slow down.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
  • More outside runs

This offense needs to push the ball downfield. Quit being afraid of interceptions. I’ll take a Dak interception every game if you offset that with 4 TD passes, and 6 scoring drives.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
This should be the gameplan every single week, regardless of opponent.

It took CD until about November to really get going last year, too. Good sign.

Jipper

Reaction score
I’m trying though. I really am.
Man me too, I really did enjoy the game yesterday but just have this looming dread that it's going to be the same ending. If they beat Philly this week I will start to believe....kinda would have to since that would mean they just beat the best team in football

Praxit

Reaction score
  • More outside runs

..yep, yep. I think Big Mike saw something yesterday with playcalling. Its a good thing.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score

I don't recall many games at all where I believe Kellen called a great game from the first snap. So many of those Kellen games, the Cowboys started off slow and lethargic on offense...a lot of predictable runs on 1st and 2nd downs early in the game. Not a lot of early game offense in the KM days. It's like they needed a 3-and-out first to get kick started.

And McCarthy has been following that same pattern for the most part, until the Rams game. So let's hope they come out putting pressure on the defense from the first snap, exploiting favorable matchups early and often.

As for looking down the road to winning the division and playoff success, I'm not there yet. I'm still hoping this offense can get into a groove with McCarthy at the helm, and stack wins. If they can't do that as they move through a tough part of the schedule over the holidays, then their chances of winning the division or having a playoff run is next to nil anyway. It starts with this offense gaining momentum, to compliment the defense and the special teams.

I was heartened by what I saw against the Rams, mostly because I was starting to think that maybe the McCarthy/Dak combo didn't have it in them. McCarthy showed that they CAN have a tailored game plan to cater to the Cowboys strengths and the defense's weaknesses.

Now, on to the Eagles...

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Lol, it was the Rams. Slow down.
Doesn't matter who it was, I just needed evidence that the McCarthy/Dak duo had this in them, some level of consistency in this Texas Coast Offense, that should in no way be based around the running game. It should be based on the short passing game, and downfield throws when they try to take that away. Pass first, then run....but use play action from Snap One.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Man me too, I really did enjoy the game yesterday but just have this looming dread that it's going to be the same ending. If they beat Philly this week I will start to believe....kinda would have to since that would mean they just beat the best team in football
They can beat the Eagles, but if they don't, it's not the end of the world. If they come out flat and lethargic, especially on offense, then I'll be genuinely concerned. If they lose a close game but the offense is clicking for a lot of the game, I'll still be encouraged.

And win or lose, there will still be a LOT of football left. They could win, and then struggle against the Giants and Panthers, because that's the Cowboys, until it's not. So it's about stacking wins, and consistently improving, over the next 5 to 6 weeks. And of course, they should beat the Giants, Panthers, and Commanders after the Eagles game...but will they?