Offense has to get better at starting faster

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Real problem was Garret never had a plan for adjustments at half time. Not offensively and not defensively. He could only think in one dimension.

That has little to do with their inability to start fast.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- Are early poor field position, penalties and drops contributing to these early game stalls ?
- Are Dak and Zeke just the kinda of guys that take time to get revved up early in games before better the later the game goes ?
- Too many down spots and factors on special teams ?
- yes, are we always starting games at our own 12 yard line ?
- Dropped balls - were we still among the league leaders in that area ?
- Dak was 10th in NFL in overall 3rd down conversion %, ... i wonder what his 3rd down % in first quarter
- i want to see our 1st quarter scoring production vs the tougher defenses instead of weak sister teams

Sure he had his share of rookie OC mistakes, but what i liked about Kellen Moore is his route design, in-out huddle pace, multiple pre-snap motion and varied formations, and how he design the offense to constantly push the ball downfield vertically.
It was an aim to get more chunk yard plays.

But i do have questions in How well did we run the ball early in games to cut down and distances in half - and was there a nice diverse change up between when throwing it on first downs or running ball on first downs.- was there tendencies ?
i believe in Moore when it comes to the pass game- i do want to see him get plenty help from surrounding coaches in run game:

Here's my aim for better Early game improvement production:
- Field position
- 3rd down conversion %.
- Red zone efficiency ...
- Early run game success
- No killer penalties or drops
- Better special teams factors (no missed FGs)

-We are well aware of how poor the special team as a whole truly was. Return/Coverage units bad season by our punter/inconsistent pk. Are hope Fassell makes an immediate difference within this unit. Better special teams could give the team better success in the close games. I believe they were 1-7 last year in games decided in 7 points or less.

-Dak has is lowest completion % in the first quarter last year it was around 60%, compared to the his best of 73% in the third quarter.

-The Cowboys receivers ranked 4th in the league in dropped passes.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Doggedly trying to "establish Zeke" by with first down runs between the tackles. The Saints and Vikings games were clown shows on this score.

We rolled in the first 3 games by throwing 70% of the time on 1st down.

We would all agree, the offense did change after the third game and looked more like the prior offensive scheme.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
There is no doubt..

as it stands now..we do not play with urgency in the first 3/4 of any game.

This has been going on since the playoff loss to GB in the Playoffs in 2016.

So you tell me why?

Not in 2017 and not for the first half of 2018..and the only exception being the Seattle playoff game which we won.

And 2019..? Return to form again.

OMG.

So I have some thoughts.

Lack of hunger to win. Our players are too easily satisfied to just be Cowboys and being multi-millionaires. That is obvious to me and should be to everybody else.

Poor leadership from an owner/GM who constantly tries to be "one of the boys" and will not detach himself from wanting to have too much influence in the locker room.

As to the poor starts..that is lack of focus. That is coaching and failure to instill a killer instinct to your players. When Jimster took over the Cowboys..we left behind in college a rep of having teams that played with a rep of being guys 'from da hood'.

A reputation for beating you down and embarrassing you in 60 minutes of football.

I keep repeating about '60 Minutes' of football.

The last time I saw us do that was when we beat New Orleans in ATT Stadium in 2018.

Then it vanished again.

So quick starts are important but that is not an answer.

Play an entire game and leave it on the field at the end.

We do not do that.

Everything you said leads to lacks of leadership at the top from the owner to the coaching staff. MM doesn't appear to be a puppet HC by any means and should be able to change the culture.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Here's my aim for better Early game improvement production:
- Field position
- 3rd down conversion %.
- Red zone efficiency ...
- Early run game success
- No killer penalties or drops
- Better special teams factors (no missed FGs)
you left out better passing by dak.
I just watched all the games again, and I only saw 2-3 real drops by wr , the rest was due to poor pass by dak. Too high, too low, and his fav is behind.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It’s kind a hard when you start every drive on your side of the field. Worst special teams in the league. Has a lot to do with it

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just watched all the games again, and I only saw 2-3 real drops by wr , the rest was due to poor pass by dak. Too high, too low, and his fav is behind.
Could you imagine if he started every drive on the 45 50 yard line instead of the 20 yard line

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Did you watch the Super Bowl. Mahomes it was way worse than I’ve ever seen Prescott

jsb357

Reaction score
I think we’ve won five or six games. And you can make it anywhere you want but that’s the fact

But did Dallas win when it mattered last year? Nope

KC did...

behind in all playoff games and NEVER lost

but they have an elite QB

Did they cave to help show Garrett the door?

:popcorn:

possibly...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This problem is already fixed because we have a new head coach. It’s going to be so much fun to see.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Could you imagine if he started every drive on the 45 50 yard line instead of the 20 yard line

that would be better for any team lol.
I know that last year they had it bad due to ST and errors, but some of it was their fault.
Did you watch the Super Bowl. Mahomes it was way worse than I’ve ever seen Prescott
Come on whirl lol your saying mahomes looked worse in SB than the worst dak has ever been ??:huh: :lmao:
I think you need to watch the SB again, and some of Daks games again, like the GB game last year, dak was awful in that one.

Mahomes was slow starting in playoffs and SB last year, but once he got in a groove he was pretty good in all areas.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
But did Dallas win when it mattered last year? Nope

KC did...

behind in all playoff games and NEVER lost

but they have an elite QB

Did they cave to help show Garrett the door?

:popcorn:

possibly...
I think they did, the players wanted to beat the rams, to revenge the playoff loss to them, and they whacked the rams bad, then went back to tanking .
There is no other way to explain how they played in the rams game.
And they had to tank to get rid of JG, it was the only way.
Funny thing was dallas players were trying to give it to philly, and then philly kept losing lol, so it was actually hard to give them the div.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We would all agree, the offense did change after the third game and looked more like the prior offensive scheme.

I wonder how much was "Oh, we got Zeke back, and he's ready to carry the load."

Weird thing about Garrett. When we lose a key player, seems like he calls a better game.

2016 with Dak, seemed we went a little more West Coast with short crossing patterns. "Dink and Dak".

I thought the offense got a real boost with short passing to Felix when Romo went down in 2010. When Romo came back in 2011, that aspect of the game disappeared.

When Garrett is forced out of his dogmas by limited personnel, he's not bad.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
There is no doubt..

as it stands now..we do not play with urgency in the first 3/4 of any game.

This has been going on since the playoff loss to GB in the Playoffs in 2016.

So you tell me why?

Not in 2017 and not for the first half of 2018..and the only exception being the Seattle playoff game which we won.

And 2019..? Return to form again.

OMG.

So I have some thoughts.

Lack of hunger to win. Our players are too easily satisfied to just be Cowboys and being multi-millionaires. That is obvious to me and should be to everybody else.

Poor leadership from an owner/GM who constantly tries to be "one of the boys" and will not detach himself from wanting to have too much influence in the locker room.

As to the poor starts..that is lack of focus. That is coaching and failure to instill a killer instinct to your players. When Jimster took over the Cowboys..we left behind in college a rep of having teams that played with a rep of being guys 'from da hood'.

A reputation for beating you down and embarrassing you in 60 minutes of football.

I keep repeating about '60 Minutes' of football.

The last time I saw us do that was when we beat New Orleans in ATT Stadium in 2018.

Then it vanished again.

So quick starts are important but that is not an answer.

Play an entire game and leave it on the field at the end.

We do not do that.
You just described the team since 1996.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Good opening drives. Get a return game so we aren’t starting at our own 10. And cut out the stupid drive killing penalties..

Swagger

Reaction score
Just goes to show how clueless you are on how football works.

If the Cowboys didn't take advantage for Home Depot CB's whos fault is it?
Well a QB that has been in the league for 4 years should be able to read defenses and take advantage of favourable match ups so...he's certainly in line for his lion share of blame unless he is unable to read a defense...although that in itself shows that he's incapable of taking advantage of favourable match ups which deserves some blame.

You see it all the time when a QB tell the OC or HC about match ups and bits and pieces that they have seen on the field. We are not talking about a rookie QB but a guy who should have the gravitas within himself and confidence from his coaches to implement his suggestions.

I didn't see any of that in the Eagles game and let's not jazz it up, he missed wide open receivers for regulation chunk plays as well so yes it was pretty much on Prescott whichever way you slice it up.