Offenses egregious enough to be kicked out of the NFL

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
If I had been the Comish, I would have kicked Buddy Ryan and Sean Peyton out of the league for their involvement in placing bounties on players. I would have kicked out any of their assistant coaches, and any players, who were involved in that crap. IMO, there's no place in the league for deliberately trying to injure a player. I would only kick someone out if it were premeditated. For example, when Ndomukong Suh lost his temper and kicked a player on the field, I think a suspension, and not a ban, was the right call to make. He lost his temper and did something rotten, but there's no evidence he planned in advance to hurt someone. It was still a crappy thing to do, but that's why he was suspended.
For a suspension to not be enough, and thus for a ban to be needed, the offense has to be extremely serious. For example, if any player bet on a game's outcome that he's to play in, that would also constitute a ban. I think the league might already have that as a policy. I'm not sure. I would not ban someone for betting on a baseball, a hockey, a basketball, or some other sport. Same thing with an NCAA or a CFL football game. If a player bet on an NFL game that his team is not playing in, I would suspend him, but not ban him.
For the use of performance-enhancing drugs, I think suspensions, not bans, are the way to go, unless the player had numerous offenses.
When Charles Haley was with the 49ers, he defecated on the desk of one of their assistant coaches. That's disgusting, but I wouldn't ban a player for that. It was gross, but it didn't give his team any kind of unfair advantage. I would probably just leave that one up to his team to handle.
Do you agree? Is there any other offense that is so egregious that you would ban the player or coach rather than just suspend him?

Flamma

Reaction score

The thread title led me to believe you were going to make fun of some team's offense. Like the Patriots or Jets.

I guess I agree with your main point. There are certain offenses you can't come back from.