Offensive alignment that could be scary good!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The offensive skill positions lost two starters via free agency in Randall Cobb and Jason Witten.

Cobb was considered more of a slot only type of WR with good run after the catch abilities, his biggest issue over the last few years was his durability.

Jason Witten probably should of retired a few years ago. He is still sure handed, but offers little to nothing yards after the catch abilities. He is more of a liability as a blocker now, where in his prime was considered excellent in that area at his position. It's sad to see a legend aging, but father time remains undefeated.

The Cowboys invested their 1st rd pick on arguably the best receiver in the draft, a WR class that many thought was the most deep in years. Lamb as a unique skill set, his biggest strength is his run after the catch abilities. He is a receiver that has the versatility to line up anywhere and be a threat.

Blake Jarwin signed with the team as an undrafted free agent TE. He is a former WR that has transitioned to the TE position. Hasn't seen too many snaps over his career, but they liked him enough to not only protect him from signing with the Eagles, but gave him a contract extension. In my opinion, Jarwin was seldom used due to his poor inline blocking abilities. He is more of an modern age big WR, playing the TE position. Many TE's around the league are considered poor, inline blockers, but remain on the field due to being big, mismatch players in the passing game. Jarwin fits this profile and certainly will offer more run after the catch abilities then the departed Jason Witten.

The Cowboys have a third weapon that was on the roster last season, but was under utilized in Tony Pollard. Coming into the league he was a jack of all trades type of back, one who can certainly carry the football, but was an excellent space player in the passing game. His skill set is similar to that of former Cowboy Felix Jones, but more stronger/more durable. Some many say he is a poor man's Alvin Kamara.

You would think MM/Moore will design personnel groups to take advantage of his three top receivers on the field at the same time. That leaves 1 other spot where they can have a Jarwin, Pollard or even another WR in the formation.

Pollard on the field gets me most excited with the personnel grouping. How do teams defend the Cowboys if Cooper/Pollard in the slot, Gallup/Lamb on the outside and Zeke in the backfield. Do they use more of a nickel/dime package? This would make them susceptible against the run and Zeke Elliot. Do they keep an extra linebacker on the field? Who does he cover? Jarwin also can create mismatches. MM/Moore must be licking their chops at all the possibilities!!

cowboygo

Reaction score
Definitely have the weapons, and looks like an improvement to an already potent offense that finished #1 in yards. This is what concerns me, starting off games slow:

Dak Prescott 2019:
1st quarter: 80/133 60.2% 805yds 4/3 TD/INT 78.1 qbrate

2nd quarter: 111/168 66.1% 1,473yds 12/4 TD/INT 107.6 qbrate

3rd quarter: 91/124 73.4% 1,268yds 7/0 TD/INT 124.7 qbrate

4th quarter: 106/171 62.0% 1,356yds 7/4 TD/INT 90.7 qbrate

We need to start stronger and not wait until the 2nd or 3rd quarter to get things rolling. If our defense is worse, we are in for another 8-8 season even with all these weapons. Moore/Dak need to step it up in the 1st quarter.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good post and gives some thoughts on any offensive lineups. Hopefully with the new staff and schemes, Jarwin can improve his blocking. I always thought he should have gotten more snaps. There were a few plays he and Dak clicked on every time they ran in. But once it showed it worked, they went away from it, or Witten would be on the field too much.

I do think Pollard will be more involved this year as well. I see a little more movement and shifts causing the defenses confusion. Where is the ball going, run or pass type confusion.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Definitely have the weapons, and looks like an improvement to an already potent offense that finished #1 in yards. This is what concerns me, starting off games slow:

We need to start stronger and not wait until the 2nd or 3rd quarter to get things rolling. If our defense is worse, we are in for another 8-8 season even with all these weapons. Moore/Dak need to step it up in the 1st quarter.

That was two huge factors last season. Low scoring 1st half, defense could not hold a lead or make a stop to give the offense a chance to score late.

The 2nd half of the season last year was more frustrating than the 1989 season. Because in 1989 we had a new coach, #1 overall pick at QB. And we knew we weren't going to be competing for a playoff spot. But we new we would get better, especially with all the picks from the Walker trade.

Last year we still had a lame coaching staff, but with a team that could compete, and should have. But it all worked out for the best. Now we have an entire new staff, with the exception of a few. But with new roles except Moore, but with some changes.

visionary

Reaction score
In the modern NFL, secondary defense is tough. When the offense has a lot of weapons there are only two things the defense can do:

1. stop the run
2. Get to and hit the QB

thats what teams will do against us

Cowboys22

Reaction score
The one that gets me most excited doesn’t even include Zeke. Put Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Jarwin, and Pollard on the field on 1st down and let the defense choose their lineup. Go hurry up and simply use Jarwin/Pollard as either tradition TE/RB if the defense chose a nickel or dime defense and run it down their throat. If the defense sent out a normal 1st down defense, use Jarwin and Pollard as WRs and make LBers cover them 1 on 1. You go hurry up so the defense can’t sub. If they get a chance to sub due to a timeout or penalty, just switch to the other offense and keep going hurry up.

cowboygo

Reaction score
I feel like we're trying to be too cute with Pollard.

You can't defend the Cowboys in 11 personnel without winning man-to-man matchups in the passing game. 11 personnel gives you the numbers advantage, and they have weapons without Pollard.
Agree, give more snaps to Pollard from Zeke's share as a RB.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Agree, give more snaps to Pollard from Zeke's share as a RB.
Eh, yes and no. Pollard simply isn't as good of a between the tackles runner as Zeke, so you're sacrificing that threat.

Regardless of who, having 4 receiving threats at the LOS means that defenses have to choose where they are going to be at a numbers disadvantage. If Pollard is a threat in the passing game, then he can be largely redundant with Jarwin or whichever slot WR. But he doesn't change anything just subbing in for Zeke.

cowboygo

Reaction score
Eh, yes and no. Pollard simply isn't as good of a between the tackles runner as Zeke, so you're sacrificing that threat.

Regardless of who, having 4 receiving threats at the LOS means that defenses have to choose where they are going to be at a numbers disadvantage. If Pollard is a threat in the passing game, then he can be largely redundant with Jarwin or whichever slot WR. But he doesn't change anything just subbing in for Zeke.
He isn't better, but it keeps Zeke fresh. 2-4 more carries a game for Pollard would do wonders.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This is true, but it's not unusual for teams to use more than one RB, and they often have different skill sets. Part of the hope with using another RB is the change of pace the opposing defense has to adjust to. And, of course, I don't think anyone is talking about Pollard taking a huge portion of Zeke's snaps, just to spell Zeke, and/or to maybe take advantage of that change of pace.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
I want to see more passes to the running back as well as more screens. Can Dak read the opponent's defenses and adjust ??
That's what I want to see more of.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The one that gets me most excited doesn’t even include Zeke. Put Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Jarwin, and Pollard on the field on 1st down and let the defense choose their lineup. Go hurry up and simply use Jarwin/Pollard as either tradition TE/RB if the defense chose a nickel or dime defense and run it down their throat. If the defense sent out a normal 1st down defense, use Jarwin and Pollard as WRs and make LBers cover them 1 on 1. You go hurry up so the defense can’t sub. If they get a chance to sub due to a timeout or penalty, just switch to the other offense and keep going hurry up.

Taking Zeke off the field makes little sense. Have him run in 7 man boxes and he will kill opposing defenses.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Taking Zeke off the field makes little sense. Have him run in 7 man boxes and he will kill opposing defenses.

Yeah but you can't go 5 wide against them if they put their normal 1st down defense on the field. My whole point with that alignment is that you make them choose what D they put out there on 1st down and you go hurry up so they can't substitute. If they go base D, then you attack them with 5 wideouts and get 1 on 1 mismatches all over the place. If they go nickel/dime, you simply power run it down their throat. Yeah. it would be nice to have Zeke for that but he would be a liability going 5 wide so you need a RB that can be a true RB and/or a WR. That's Pollard.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The offensive skill positions lost two starters via free agency in Randall Cobb and Jason Witten.

Cobb was considered more of a slot only type of WR with good run after the catch abilities, his biggest issue over the last few years was his durability.

Jason Witten probably should of retired a few years ago. He is still sure handed, but offers little to nothing yards after the catch abilities.

Witten was not sure handed last year. I think he was up there with Cobb for among the highest drop rate on the offense. It's low sample size, so we're only talking two or three extra drops, but Witten wasn't on the sure handed side last year, and I think he got *worse* generally as the season went on, so it can't be put off as rust.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You would think MM/Moore will design personnel groups to take advantage of his three top receivers on the field at the same time. That leaves 1 other spot where they can have a Jarwin, Pollard or even another WR in the formation.

Pollard on the field gets me most excited with the personnel grouping.

Options for 5th man: Pollard, Jarwin, Olawale, or DSmith.

DSmith gives you the classic run and gun. Big back and lots of speed and quality at WR.

Pollard, Jarwin, and Olawale are all tweeners. Pollard RB/WR, Jarwin FB/TE/WR, Olawale FB/TE/WR.

Pollard gives you the most with the ball in his hands, but less blocking. He's the max run/catch threat as the 5th.

Olawale is more when you want to pound Zeke, but keep have an over the top threat to keep the defense from loading up a big box.

Jarwin is definitely the guy to move the chains. Maybe splits downs with Smith in all pass scenarios.

Pollard as the 5th is my favorite. He's the complementary threat to Zeke that make defenses defend every player, and the entire field.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I want to see more passes to the running back as well as more screens. Can Dak read the opponent's defenses and adjust ??
That's what I want to see more of.

Ideal offense is Pollard as the 5th man, with Dak reading the defense and having multiple run and pass options to choose from both before and after the snap.