Offensive Personnel Packages and why adding Pollard more might help

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A few weeks ago, Dallas Radio man and writer Bob Sturm posted a good overview of NFL Personnel packages, and I have included the Twitter link below to show the graphic he used.

According to the graphic, there are 11 basic offensive personnel groupings, all based on having 5 skill position players in addition to the QB. The grouping numbers used to identify packages are based on the number of RBs (first number) and number of TEs (second number) All sets include the traditional 5 OL.

In 2019, the Cowboys used the 11 package for nearly 67% of its plays, followed by the 12 package about 18% of its plays.

Many of us on these boards have voiced a desire to see Tony Pollard have a larger role in the offense. In his rookie year, he had 101 touches in 15 games- about 6.5 touches per game, which was actually pretty good. The only problem with Pollard’s use last year was how few times both he and Zeke were on the field together. When Pollard was in, Zeke usually wasn’t. When Pollard was in the game last year, he was very often getting the ball, making it easier for defenses to be prepared.

What I think would make the overall offense better, would be placing both Pollard and Zeke on the field together more often- maybe 5 plays a game, giving defenses something else to think about in an already talented bevy of skill position players to worry about.

Mike McCarthy is known for his creative use of offensive personnel. This should be fun to watch.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/offensive-alignment-that-could-be-scary-good.460119/

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
with the crisis pandemic limiting and changing the dynamics, all NFL teams will be experiencing the very same challenges as well.
it will come down to the better or worse coaches in having their teams best prepared ..or a lack there of.

absolutely agree. I think teams who are going through offensive and defensive changes in scheme will be somewhat behind. How much is MM changing the offense and are the skill players and QB on the same page? We have alot of new players on defense so the change isn't concerning but getting all of them on the same page could still be an issue.