Offensive weapons needed...

tunahelper

Reaction score
I know the offense was 3rd in the NFL and averaged 28 points a game.

What happened in the last 4 games?

The inability to attack the whole field allowed defenses to counter our strengths.

Most defenses saw the Philly game, which was seen first by Buffalo and later Minnesota where defenses shortened the field and forced dink and dunk plays.

Dallas was not able to stretch the field and they also didnt have a RB consistently able to threaten the defense through the air.

Barber is very capable reciever, however he is the main runner and cannot carry the load.

I also think his lack of top end speed effects how defenses drop LB's against the offense. Take the NO Saints of 2006 for example, a two headed attack with Bush who is a speed threat with speed out of the backfield.

NE has Faulk and keeps defenses honest as well.

Roy Williams of Detriot is great, but not needed I think. The addition of a RB with speed and hands, along with a DEEP threat WR and now the the offense is attacking the whole field and better yet threatening to score every down.

Michael Pittman might be a great fit for RB and Javon Wlker for WR.

Both can be had probably cheap of course the draft is full of RB's, but WR needs to be addressed with proven talent IMO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think we should add to the offense but this is still a very good offense and showed that for most of the season.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I expect a minimum of a new RB, a vet WR and a high draft pick WR this off season. There is some firepower for ya.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I've got gas if that helps at all........................heh.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
They need somebody to spell Barber. The playoff game was a perfect example. Dallas was given Barber some much deserved rest, put Julius in the game and on a crucial 3rd and 1 they had to take a timeout so Barber could get a little more breather. Chances are, Julius wasn't going to pick up the first down. Barber came in after the timeout and got the first down.

I'd love a Maurice Jones-Drew or Brian Westbrook type, but they can't afford to have a lousy short yardage guy.

Dallas also needs another speedster at WR, unless Glenn comes backs to his old self. Owens is great, but he makes his living off the short and intermediate stuff which sets up the deep ball. If you can scare defenses with another speedster and force them to play a very deep zone coverage, that will open up Witten more, any of the tailbacks catching the ball out of the backfield, Crayton out of the slot, and Owens.

YAKUZA

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;1926928 said:
They need somebody to spell Barber. The playoff game was a perfect example. Dallas was given Barber some much deserved rest, put Julius in the game and on a crucial 3rd and 1 they had to take a timeout so Barber could get a little more breather. Chances are, Julius wasn't going to pick up the first down. Barber came in after the timeout and got the first down.

I'd love a Maurice Jones-Drew or Brian Westbrook type, but they can't afford to have a lousy short yardage guy.

Dallas also needs another speedster at WR, unless Glenn comes backs to his old self. Owens is great, but he makes his living off the short and intermediate stuff which sets up the deep ball. If you can scare defenses with another speedster and force them to play a very deep zone coverage, that will open up Witten more, any of the tailbacks catching the ball out of the backfield, Crayton out of the slot, and Owens.

YAKUZA

Bingo

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
tunahelper;1926177 said:
What happened in the last 4 games?
For the final 4 games of the regular season, I think it had more to do with Romo, Gurode, and TO being injured -- along with the lack of intensity in Week 17 due to the meaningless nature of the game.

As for the playoffs. Dropped balls and cutoff routes had everything to do with it. They cost us 21 points. We could have scored 38 points in that game with just a few mistakes cut out.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1926939 said:
For the final 4 games of the regular season, I think it had more to do with Romo, Gurode, and TO being injured -- along with the lack of intensity in Week 17 due to the meaningless nature of the game.

As for the playoffs. Dropped balls and cutoff routes had everything to do with it. They cost us 21 points. We could have scored 38 points in that game with just a few mistakes cut out.

The entire offense showed an overall lack of intensity from the second half of the Green Bay game on.

That being said we will have a new #2 receiver and a new (part-time) back at the start of next season.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1926942 said:
The entire offense showed an overall lack of intensity from the second half of the Green Bay game on.

That being said we will have a new #2 receiver and a new (part-time) back at the start of next season.

Don't forget! Plus a ton of experience with the team already! ;) Unity...

You want some fun? This team is going to be crazy...!

:starspin

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
5Stars;1926951 said:
Don't forget! Plus a ton of experience with the team already! ;) Unity...

You want some fun? This team is going to be crazy...!

:starspin

There is actually a lot to be said for that. When I hear a guy like Columbo talk about how this past ears team wsas the most fun theyve ever had and it only bodes well for the future. The guys like each other and I imagine there once again will be some dedicated guys in the weight room this offseason.

Newman just needs to not burn himself out this year....

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I actually think Roy Willams is exactly what this offense needs. Another big WR with great hands and good speed. When you put TO, Williams and Witten out there together you will have mismatches by size, speed and ability against almost every defense. Not to mention, having Roy Williams and TO in the redzone means defenses cant shade a safety of TO every time, meaning end zone fades will be money again.

I am a huge advocate for getting Roy Williams if he could in fact be had for a 2nd rounder. Hell, I would give up our second first round pick for him.

CNY Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Don't know if I'm in the minority here but I think we can score with anyone and I think we can pick up a RB late in the draft or maybe FA. That being said, hasn't anyone watched our secondary???

We got burned game after game.
I think out first priorities would be a shutdown CB and safety that can cover.

I do think we could use a fast WR and help @ RB but they may be there in FA or later in the draft.

But our secondary was very suspect at best.

I do agree that RW would be a great asset as long as he doesn't cost too much.
Second round pick may be a steal.

This is JMO you understand.:D

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
theogt;1926939 said:

I agree with you on this completely.

As for Walker...I'd rather not. He's been even more injury prone than Williams (Something I've seen mentioned on these boards dozens of times already) and I just don't think he's what we need.

I do agree we need that deep threat. Which, the more that idea is brought up here, the more I like Manningham.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
RB Chris Johnson
RB Anthony Alridge
FB Owen Schmitt
WR Donnie Avery (Unless we get Roy Williams)

sago1

Reaction score
Would love to see us draft RB Chris Johnson and WR Donnie Avery but I think both are 2nd round picks and we've only got a very late 2nd round pick. Instead of all this junk about trading up to grab McFadden, I'd rather trade our 2nd first rounder to another team who could give us a higher 2nd & 3rd (while still retaining our own 2nd & 3rd) which gives us 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and supposedly this is a deep draft at those positions we need. I'd use our first rounder (22) at the best CB available.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Take Felix Jones with one of the firsts. If he elected to stay in school he would be a top-5 pick in '09. He might not be a 20 carry a game guy, but you put the ball in his hands 15 times a game and he'll make something happen. He'll not only help the running game but will instantly improve the return game and is a very good receiver out of the backfield.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
What happened in the last four games was inexcusable. Call it the December curse if you will. But with a healthy T.O., our offense was scary. Without T.O. in the latter part of December, we were just an above average offense with no running game. Again, inexcusable!

Just like the title of this thread, we need MORE offensive weapons at our disposal. Crayton is a good WR, just not someone who can be used as a #1. Terry Glenn is most likely done due to injuries and age. Another WOW player could most certainly be used at WR. We need to be getting younger, not getting older at this key spot.

We need another competent RB to compliment Marion Barber III. Not a RB who has been brainwashed by the likes of Bill Parcells. Or a RB that runs into his own lineman. A RB through the draft that has pedigree is very much needed. Mendenahall? Felix Jones?

Last but not least, let's hope that Hudson can fix the offensive line's lack of run blocking. Pass protection has been decent, but run blocking has been extinct in Big D since the late 90's. No need to run Marion and a young rookie RB into the ground behind shoddy blocking. Gotta have a running game to set up Tony's play action.

WR, RB, and better Offensive Line play are key to the success of the Cowboys. If not, expect more one and done's in the playoffs, and a prolonged drought of no wins in said playoffs.