Official Draft (insert QB name Here) Bandwagon thread

acheman

Reaction score
No just finish 5-11 bye bye Bill, bye bye Bledsoe. Trade up three or four spots and land Quinn. A few injuries here and there and a locker room blow-up or two and this scenario is not so far fetched. Not that I would want all of the above to occur, certainly not the 5-11 record.:D

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab said:
So is it too early to start a Palmer vs. Romo thread?

:lmao2:

Great, so a year long threads of "draft the next QB" threads.....thought we have him on the roster in....Matt Baker....oops, I mean Tony Romo...or do I?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Bomar the Sooners QB? Why would one want him? Or am I placing him on wrong team?

I never said we would want him. I said he will be in the QB mix come draft day next year. I don't love Bomar but I don't know how much of that is Bomar and how much of that is me (I wear Texas Longhorn underroo's to bed at night :laugh2: )

Seriously though, Bomar has serious talent and I expect there will be interest in him come draft time. While I would like to believe we would give serious consideration to a QB in the first round, IE Quinn, Brohm or Stanton but it's probably more likely we take a guy who show's up later in the draft, assuming we take anybody at all. Just seems like how we do business. That would probabably be a guy like Bomar. He would not be my favorite but he probably would fit the way we like to do business at the QB spot.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
So the battle for the next QB of the Dallas Cowboys rages on. :)

This is how I look at next year's team: If Bledsoe still has it in him, he comes back. Romo is definitely a go, and will be given a chance to beat Bledsoe. 3rd string QB will either be this kid Baker, or a new draft pick.

So who would you like to see groomed as the next QB in Dallas?

Another young prospect who might someday make a fine starter? I left Brady Quinn on the poll, but just realize that if the Cowboys pick someone like him, they're giving up the house, IF it's even possible. You'll lose AT LEAST 2 first rounders, 2 second rounders, and several other picks if there's any chance to trade up for Quinn. Is he worth all of that? I will say that this might be the first Cowboys squad in a while that has so much depth, it can afford to trade up for one player, but I think it would be more for a mid-1st rounder as opposed to a top 3 pick. (Assuming the Boys are as good as advertised this year.)

Some of the fellas to look out for in next year's draft:
(scouting reports from fftoolbox.com)

CHRIS LEAK, FLORIDA
chris%20leak.jpg

Position: QB Number: 12
School: Florida Height: 6'1

This is a quarterback for his age that shows great poise and command on the field

He was a very highly touted quarterback and the #1 rated player coming out of high school

He is such a technically sound quarterback, who has control of his teams offense, that shows in his play, he has a picture perfect throwing motion, with a beautifully thrown tight spiraled ball, and has the variety of touches and tools needed to excel at his position to become a force

He has the mobility inside and outside of the pocket which makes him a double threat to either throw on the run or to run for needed precious yardage, but his first option is as a thrower first and uses most his mobility to extend plays and make things happen down field in the passing game

I believe this player needs his team to grow and step up a level to match his performance, and if that were to happen I believe this player can lead his team to the "National Championship"

I would like to see him gain a bit more weight to be able to handle the punishment you take in and outside of the pocket, but he looks to me to be a franchise type quarterback

BRADY QUINN, NOTRE DAME
050831_quinn_vmed_11a.widec.jpg

Position: QB Number: 10
School: Notre Dame Height: 6'4

He is a player at the quarterback position that shows the high potential for the next level

He has the prototype size and skills for the quarterback position, who is a better than average athlete, with the quick decision making you look for

You can tell he has all the intangible skills down pat, with his calm and poised play in the pocket, he shows he has command of the offense with the confidence he displays in his quick decisions, and the way he looks over the field going over his receiver progressions

He throws a nice tight spiral, with good velocity, and his ball placement on his throws allow his receivers to maximize their (YAC) or yards after catch, and his leadership for his teams offense shines through on the field for all to see

However, I would like to see his accuracy improve on his deeper throws, and he is somewhat limited in his escapeability skills when his protection around him breaks down

With all that said his upside at the quarterback position is very high, he is your classic in the pocket thrower, with laser accuracy and placement on the close to intermediate passes, he has a very bright future at the collegiate level and potentially at the next level

DREW STANTON, MICHIGAN STATE
2002065034.jpg

Position: QB Number: 05
School: Michigan St. Height: 6'3

This is a player at the quarterback position who is a dual threat at both the run and pass

This is a very competitive player on the field, who once covered kicks on special teams, so his toughness is not in question with this quarterback, his will to win is hard to match

He is a quarterback that has the ability to keep a defense on it's heels both defending the pass and run, he is an excellent athlete with a number of skills

He is actually a rather inexperienced player behind center due to injury and as a backup player, but he shows good poise and a calm demeanor when on the field or in the pocket

He throws a good pass which gets there in a hurry, and has the arm strength to throw all the necessary passes anywhere along the field

With the mobility he brings to the field inside and outside the pocket, he places a great deal of pressure on defenses and with his mobility has the ability to extend passing plays which gives an offense a greater chance for success

He also seems to be equally adept at throwing from the pocket or on the run, and as I mentioned above he places such pressure on a defense with his mobility

Once he decides to scramble upfield, he becomes a dangerous running weapon, with fearless abandon and places opposing defenses in vulnerable positions

The one thing he needs to work on is his touch passes and at times throws floating passes, which makes him vulnerable to interceptions

KEVIN KOLB, HOUSTON
hb42a_b.jpg

Position: QB Number: 04
School: Houston Height: 6'3

This a player at the quarterback position that possess a package of successful skills

He was the first true freshman to ever start at the quarterback position for the University of Houston, he has the quick release you look for, who is fearless as both a player and competitor

He is a better than average athlete at his position, who's intensity for the game is hard to match, and one who likes to attack defenses throwing a variety of balls from anywhere on the field, his accuracy and touch are good which makes for easier catches for receivers

He has the instincts in the pocket you look for, he has the innate inner time clock to know instinctively when to do things, to step and move out of the pocket when the pocket is collapsing, staying poised under pressure, having the ability to extend plays with his feet for his receivers to get open, a rare trait that all the good to great quarterbacks poses

Playing the position behind center comes very natural to him, which shows through in his play on the field, who is exudes leadership and confidence to the players around him, and a player who is willing to sell out to do what it takes to win

He is good at checking down to various receivers, who is willing to stand in the pocket and take the hit to complete the pass, the talent around him needs to elevate their play for more team success, his future is limitless to his willingness to be the best player he can be

At times he throws ill advised passes due to his confidence in his own ability, and he could use some work on his ball handling skills as well, both parts of his game should improve with time and maturity

TRENT EDWARDS, STANFORD
1sp.footballNB.jpg

School: Stanford Height: 6'4

This is a player at the quarterback position that i have very high hopes for

He has everything you look for in a quarterback, the size and athletic ability jump out at you, his toughness and willingness to stand tall in the pocket when it is apparent he has to take the hit to complete the pass, he looks to pass first and scramble second, and when he does scramble he is very effective at it in that he makes a quick decision and goes

He also has the mobility to do both run and throw on the move, he is as adaptable passing on the run or in the pocket, but I and I believe he prefers to throw from the pocket first, and with his mobility he keeps plays alive moving around extending plays keeping his eyes down field for the completion, and at the same time keeping a defense honest with his running ability

I am also impressed with his poise and quick decision making he shows in the pocket, he has a quick release, with a strong and accurate arm, he also has the variety of touches and arm strength needed to make a defense have to defend the entire field, he reminds me of former NFL quarterback "Troy Aikman" in all of the above characteristics except that he is a more mobile and athletic player than Aikman

He has all the physical skills you look for in a quarterback, but will he progress mentally as a young quarterback with few snaps in his career?

TYLER PALKO, PITTSBURGH
wm7r8zg7.jpg

Position: QB Number: 03
School: Pittsburgh Height: 6'2

He is a player at the quarterback position that brings a competitive edge to the field

He is a tough quarterback both inside and outside the pocket, who is willing to take the hit in the pocket to complete the pass down field, who seems to have the arm strength to make defenses have to defend the entire field

This is a player that reminds me of current NFL quarterback "Brett Favre", in his game and demeanor, he is also very good at improvising after the play breaks down, a real gunslinger, a better than average athlete, and brings a certain confidence to the players around him, and shows a certain confidence needed at his position

He is also a quick thinker and an instinctive improviser when needed, he is a leader to the offense by his play on the field and has the style of play that brings enthusiasm to the players around him

At times he tends to make bad decisions in crucial situations, and also tends to leave the pocket too early giving up on his receivers and not trusting in the play, and the players around him

TROY SMITH, OHIO STATE
m2b8leu5.jpg

Position: QB Number: 10
School: Ohio St. Height: 6'1

This is a player at the quarterback position that makes things happen by ground and pass

He is a throw first thinking quarterback with the skills to make things happen with his feet when needed, who has the ability to throw a variety of passes with touch on the ball when in the pocket, he is a poised performer who shows leadership to the players around him

His mobility to move in the pocket gives an offense the ability to extend pass plays and give receivers time to find the holes, he also gives you the option to scramble when things break down and become a very effective runner at that

He has good arm strength, with a quick effortless release to his throws, his balls just fly off his hand which makes it that more difficult to sack this player back there, he also excels with his quick decision making, he instantly recognizes whether to pass or run

I feel he needs more work in the passing area of his game, to expand his vision of the entire field and to be able to check down from the first to even his third check down during the course of a play

The passing techniques he needs to improve on are mainly due to inexperience at the position, and once the team realizes he is the quarterback to lead them instead of the two quarterback system, and until the coaching staff gives him the confidence he is number one quarterback no matter what, he will then began to flourish

BRIAN BROHM, LOUISVILLE
t1_cb1_si.jpg

Position: QB Number: 12
School: Louisville Height: 6'4

This is a player at the quarterback position who is very highly touted and has the skills

He was the "National USA Today Offensive Player Of The Year" coming out of high school, he posses the size, strength and movement around the pocket you look for in a quarterback with more experience and snaps behind center

He posses a quick release, and the ball arrives with some zip on it, which gives his wide receivers that extra time to make a move to gain more (YAC) yards after catch, he also posses more mobility and movement than he is given credit for in and out of the pocket

His composure and presence in the pocket along with his calm demeanor, is what impresses me about this quarterback most, he plays with a command of the offense like a player that has been in the system much longer

His future looks to be bright and full of positive reviews down the road, he just needs to make sure he continues to make progress and develop his skills behind center

JORDAN PALMER, UTEP
JJJCFZPGVXKYGKN.20051116181034.jpg

School: UTEP Height: 6'5

This is a player at the quarterback position that has the ability and the genes that say he will be a very productive player behind center

This is the younger brother of former USC "Heisman Trophy" winner and current NFL quarterback Carson Palmer, so those genes might help with his ultimate outcome

He is a player with prototypical size for the position and the mobility to extend plays and gain valuable yardage on the run, although he is more of a pocket passer with the ability to throw on the run

He is rather accurate when throwing the ball with his feet properly up under him, and to remember not to throw off balance which he has a tendency to do, but it has to be said that he is still in the early stages of the position since he only started playing football his last year of high school football

He stands in the pocket poised and confident in the heat of battle, who has a good feel for the pressure around him, and who is tough and physical in or outside the pocket and lacks a fear of failure which hampers many a quarterbacks composure and ability to become effective on the field of play

He has better than average arm strength to make any throw on the field effectively, and has excellent play faking follow through skills

He may need to work on his throwing motion because at times his delivery is awkward & slow, and with his relative inexperience at the position he will occasionally throw the ill advised pass or two during the course of a game
With all that said he has the combination of skills that makes for a promising future

acheman

Reaction score
Why would Bomar even be in this draft? I thought he is just going to be a SOPH or JR. Even if he goes to a DII school and plays this year he would be stupid to come out and enter this draft.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's try to keep it to one thread instead of 2 or more threads about QBs we will draft just because henson is gone and before THIS regular season even starts.

dasander

Reaction score
I think I would much rather have Sam Keller from Arizona St. than Jordan Palmer. Doesn't Palmer have a history of character issues or something?

dasander

Reaction score
Wow, comparing Trent Edwards from Stanford to Troy Aikman. Who knows there is always a quaterback like Jay Cutler that rises in the draft, when around this time he is not considered a 1st round prospect. Maybe we can get Trent at pic# 32.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Hey I'll go for my Boy Troy Smith!:D

Does it really matter...Parcells has his nose so far up Romo's Azz that nobody else matters.

Silverstar

Reaction score
What can I say...I'm still rooting for us drafting Trent Edwards next year.

Yes, I know about his shoulder.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
I like Brian Brohm and Chris Leak. Brian Brohm might slide a bit in the first round depending who needs QBs and who doesnt so he could be a possibility if we were looking to draft one. And Chris Leak would be a pretty good 3rd Round pick or so.

I also like Brady Quinn a bit but lets be realistic about it the guy is going in the top 5...

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Well I'll be totally biased and vote for Stanton even though I don't think the Boys need to draft a QB in the first round at all next year or likely even the year after. But, I gotta represent the Spartans...Go Green! Go White!

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Forget Quinn and Stanton...will both be top 10 picks or better.

Think 2nd to 3rd round pick...I'm thinking potential and blood lines and a guy that has gotten better each year...Jordan Palmer!

Jerrah has made it clear he is not after a top first round pick...AND he better have the ex-baseball players out of mind now too.

Personally, i really hope we draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round and let him compete with Romo...we need young competition. Heck...draft one in those rounds and get another one in the 7th...why not!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would not be suprised to see Dallas draft a QB next year and Jerry even mentioned this after this past draft. If this does come about I would love to see Dallas get Stanton of Mich st.