***Official Draft Thread Day THREE***

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Knock off the insensitive comments. For real this time. Enjoy the post draft discussion with your posting privs intact. I'm tired of asking nicely.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
My initial feelings on the draft ...

• I like the Martin pick. The draft didn't quite unfold the way we may have liked, but that kid is a really nice fallback option. This could be one of the better young lines in the NFL sooner rather than later.
  • I think this draft hinges on whether Lawrence pans out or not. If he ends up being a guy that can eventually get us 9 - 10 sacks this was a successful draft. If not we wasted two premium picks on a guy that didn't solve many issues for us.
  • I didn't like either LB pick.I'm not sure Hitchens will ever be starter material and I'm not sure W. Smith even makes the roster
  • Loved both 7th round DL selections. I think Gardner has a chance to be a real steal and Bishop was a good value selection and addressed a serious need.
  • Was happy to see us get a pretty decent WR prospect since this draft was ridiculously deep in that area.
I want to like this draft but ultimately I'm just not comfortable spending 2 high picks on a guy that I'm not completely sold on. It's not that I dislike the player. I just would have preferred to stand pat and picked up 2 DE prospects instead of 1. I like the odds of needing to bat 1 for 2 instead of having to hit on someone especially when I don't feel that someone is a measurably better prospect than several of the other DE ends that would have been available. In fact if we were going to use a 3rd rounder to move up, I would have preferred using that tactic earlier in the 1st round to try and maneuver up to get Donald.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
My initial feelings on the draft ...

• I like the Martin pick. The draft didn't quite unfold the way we may have liked, but that kid is a really nice fallback option. This could be one of the better young lines in the NFL sooner rather than later.
  • I think this draft hinges on whether Lawrence pans out or not. If he ends up being a guy that can eventually get us 9 - 10 sacks this was a successful draft. If not we wasted two premium picks on a guy that didn't solve many issues for us.
  • I didn't like either LB pick.I'm not sure Hitchens will ever be starter material and I'm not sure W. Smith even makes the roster
  • Loved both 7th round DL selections. I think Gardner has a chance to be a real steal and Bishop was a good value selection and addressed a serious need.
  • Was happy to see us get a pretty decent WR prospect since this draft was ridiculously deep in that area.
I want to like this draft but ultimately I'm just not comfortable spending 2 high picks on a guy that I'm not completely sold on. It's not that I dislike the player. I just would have preferred to stand pat and picked up 2 DE prospects instead of 1. I like the odds of needing to bat 1 for 2 instead of having to hit on someone especially when I don't feel that someone is a measurably better prospect than several of the other DE ends that would have been available. In fact if we were going to use a 3rd rounder to move up, I would have preferred using that tactic earlier in the 1st round to try and maneuver up to get Donald.

Nice post. I don't blame how you feel about this. It was frustrating to watch. I think we had to have a WDE and if they had been able to pick this player with their appointed two instead of having to reach then we'd all feel better about the pick. I don't think the entire draft hinges on Lawrence but a lot of it does. He like Claiborne need to put it together to justify the picks.

Once we're out of cap hell I certainly hope we can start drafting with a different philosophy. Today's draft picks are gold and they need to get the most out of them. If we can get to a state of affairs we don't 'have' to have a player to field a competitive team then they should go that way. With Romo as the QB and an offense as good as they are capable of being then I understand the reluctance to not go for absolute needs. Plus, he was a highly ranked player even though a 2 and a 3 is too much for him. JMO.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Nice post. I don't blame how you feel about this. It was frustrating to watch. I think we had to have a WDE and if they had been able to pick this player with their appointed two instead of having to reach then we'd all feel better about the pick. I don't think the entire draft hinges on Lawrence but a lot of it does. He like Claiborne need to put it together to justify the picks.

Once we're out of cap hell I certainly hope we can start drafting with a different philosophy. Today's draft picks are gold and they need to get the most out of them. If we can get to a state of affairs we don't 'have' to have a player to field a competitive team then they should go that way. With Romo as the QB and an offense as good as they are capable of being then I understand the reluctance to not go for absolute needs. Plus, he was a highly ranked player even though a 2 and a 3 is too much for him. JMO.

You know I think you can like the players you got (for the most part) without necessarily being enamored with the the draft you had. That's the odd reality that I call home right now.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Bravo for Michael Sam and double brave for CZ for being awesome as usual.