Officially the best offseason ever?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I present the other side of the coin:

1. We rid ourselves from the albatross that was Romo's contract without him potentially playing against us on another team.
2. We rid ourselves of the three aging secondary members - two of whom never lived up to their potential - and replaced them with uber-talented rookies.
3. We upgraded from Lucky Whitehead to the best return man in the draft - who can also catch the ball and not fumble every time someone breathes on him.
4. Our two most dynamic young offensive players return with a full offseason for the first time and a year's worth of playing experience at the highest level.
5. We rid ourselves of an aging, no longer replacement-level right tackle in favor of a top-10 OL prospect who has had two years in a professional offseason weights and conditioning program.
6. We get a full offseason program for our best receiver who no longer has a nagging injury or a contract holdout to worry about.
7. We get to see a potential top-3-in-the-draft talent take the field after an injury redshirt year.
8. We return almost our entire D-Line, which is young and developing and played as a top-10 unit the last five weeks of 2016. Oh, and we added a first-round talent to the equation.
9. Our undrafted OL with a ticking time bomb in his knee will be replaced by either a former first-round pick or second-round pick.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
lol, worst offseason ever. Get real. That would have to be like the 2009 offseason with prob the worst draft in Cowboys history. Don't recall who we signed that year (Free agency), but the draft alone pushes it way over this team's offseason.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
1. We rid ourselves from the albatross that was Romo's contract without him potentially playing against us on another team. One, we could have done a better job of handling this situation. We delayed the cap hit by another year by making him a June 1st hit. We had the room to take the entire hit now. None of this matters if they don't use the gained cap room to go out and acquire more talent, especially on defense.
2. We rid ourselves of the three aging secondary members - two of whom never lived up to their potential - and replaced them with uber-talented rookies."uber-talented"?? I like Awuzie and Lewis but they were late 2nd and 3rd round picks. Woods was a 6th rounder. I hope they all contribute, but let's not put them in the Ring of Honor just yet.
3. We upgraded from Lucky Whitehead to the best return man in the draft - who can also catch the ball and not fumble every time someone breathes on him. Agreed. Huge Switzer fan.
4. Our two most dynamic young offensive players return with a full offseason for the first time and a year's worth of playing experience at the highest level. Dak and Zeke do make the future look bright.
5. We rid ourselves of an aging, no longer replacement-level right tackle in favor of a top-10 OL prospect who has had two years in a professional offseason weights and conditioning program. Agreed.
6. We get a full offseason program for our best receiver who no longer has a nagging injury or a contract holdout to worry about. Dez's injuries are due to his reckless, all-out, aggressive playing style. Not a criticism.
7. We get to see a potential top-3-in-the-draft talent take the field after an injury redshirt year. Man I hope so.
8. We return almost our entire D-Line, which is young and developing and played as a top-10 unit the last five weeks of 2016. Oh, and we added a first-round talent to the equation. Ehh, we are talent deficient there. We need a menace. Taco is solid. Maliek is solid. Irving could be special but can't get out of his own way. Need to get better.
9. Our undrafted OL with a ticking time bomb in his knee will be replaced by either a former first-round pick or second-round pick. Leary played well and earned a big contract. I'm glad we weren't the team to give it to him though. I've always liked Jonathan Cooper so I'm extremely hopeful he pans out for us.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This and the other thread that is the opposite are both hyperbole at this point IMO.

Nobody knows how the season and future will turn out so there is no way to look back to see how the off seasons went.

Many thought last off season sucked because we had no viable back up for Romo. Turned out we did.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
2. We rid ourselves of the three aging secondary members - two of whom never lived up to their potential - and replaced them with uber-talented rookies."uber-talented"?? I like Awuzie and Lewis but they were late 2nd and 3rd round picks. Woods was a 6th rounder. I hope they all contribute, but let's not put them in the Ring of Honor just yet.
Never realized that pointing out talent was akin to putting a guy in the Ring of Honor. I was referring more to Awuzie and Lewis - although Woods could be a steal. Lewis was often the best player on the field his last season at Michigan and his only potential knocks are height and his off-field baggage. It wouldn't shock me if Awuzie is our best secondary player by the end of this season. They've got talent to burn.

FWIW, I created this thread more tongue in cheek than anything. Provides a nice balance to the Chicken Littles of the world.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Never realized that pointing out talent was akin to putting a guy in the Ring of Honor. I was referring more to Awuzie and Lewis - although Woods could be a steal. Lewis was often the best player on the field his last season at Michigan and his only potential knocks are height and his off-field baggage. It wouldn't shock me if Awuzie is our best secondary player by the end of this season. They've got talent to burn.

FWIW, I created this thread more tongue in cheek than anything. Provides a nice balance to the Chicken Littles of the world.
No, I got it and agreed with many of your takes.

Lewis' size and athleticism scare me some but for what he did on the field, the 3rd round was a great place to get him. I was big on Awuzie all year and he's the type of athlete and football player I like. My biggest concern is that with Awuzie, Lewis, and Scandrick, their best spot IMO is the nickel/slot spot. I'm not sure who will match-up with the outside threat WR's of the league.

Jkyle

Reaction score
If Irving hadn't been suspended and Wilson not arrested, then I would tend to agree.
Now we are left having to fill two potential starting positions on a defense that's already thin/questionable.

Reaction score

1. We rid ourselves from the albatross that was Romo's contract without him potentially playing against us on another team.
2. We rid ourselves of the three aging secondary members - two of whom never lived up to their potential - and replaced them with uber-talented rookies.
3. We upgraded from Lucky Whitehead to the best return man in the draft - who can also catch the ball and not fumble every time someone breathes on him.
4. Our two most dynamic young offensive players return with a full offseason for the first time and a year's worth of playing experience at the highest level.
5. We rid ourselves of an aging, no longer replacement-level right tackle in favor of a top-10 OL prospect who has had two years in a professional offseason weights and conditioning program.
6. We get a full offseason program for our best receiver who no longer has a nagging injury or a contract holdout to worry about.
7. We get to see a potential top-3-in-the-draft talent take the field after an injury redshirt year.
8. We return almost our entire D-Line, which is young and developing and played as a top-10 unit the last five weeks of 2016. Oh, and we added a first-round talent to the equation.
9. Our undrafted OL with a ticking time bomb in his knee will be replaced by either a former first-round pick or second-round pick.

Listen, I hope I am wrong (in my competing post) and you are right. But in my gut, I feel like our magical run last year ended against GB and this offseason was an opportunity to build on it. We chose not to go the high-priced free agency route to do so. Not my preference when you have a 3-year window of Dak and Zeke on the cheap, but fine, I understand the other side of not spending big in free agency. But I think many are closing their eyes to the reality of the fact that, from a talent perspective, our NFC East rivals got better and we did not. No matter how you slice it, they got Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey, Terrell Pryor and we lost 3 starters in the secondary. While I agreed with letting those guys go, we replaced them with rookies and Nolan Carroll. That is risky because we don't know how the rookies will translate to the NFL and any upgrade from the rookies' talent will not be immediate. Likewise, while I am shedding no tears about losing Doug Free, Collins is playing a position he has not played in 3 years and Cooper for Leary is a big downgrade, period. That being said, what makes it the worst offseason to me is the suspension(s). Gregory gone for the year. I had tremendous hopes for Irving. And high hopes for Wilson. And possibly losing Elliot for a couple games on top of that? That is a lot of starter (or quasi-starter)-games lost that have to replaced in the midst of a 1st place schedule and in an improved NFC East. Again, I hope I am wrong. But at some point, all of this catches up with a team.

Last edited:

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
If Irving hadn't been suspended and Wilson not arrested, then I would tend to agree.
Now we are left having to fill two potential starting positions on a defense that's already thin/questionable.
It's hard to get too down because that defense is just bad. Has been for a long time. I'm used to these kind of suspensions. We win despite our defense.

jday

Reaction score

See, now that's a perspective I can get behind. Go Cowboys! :flagwave:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

When my bottle of scocth is half way, I normally think of it as being half empty, but after reading this, I now see it as half full!! Salud!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would not call this the best off season, Best off season are coming off a SB win and no one is making off the field headlines for bad things they have done. lol
As for the FA loses, I hated losing that many all at one time but frankly none of the FA loses are guys you can't replace. Secondary you had some decent play but you also were paying a lot for guys like Carr who had 1 int in the last 3 years sorry but handing out another contract for that type of play would be asinine and Mo well he was spending more time on the sidelines than the field. Wilcox I hated to lose I really felt his play was coming along, Church I like but again avg. Cowboys gamble on some young blood who look to have much promise vs guys who have already showed what they are.