Offseason checklist

wick

Reaction score
This assumes no coaching or scheme changes in the offseason. In no particular order, the needs are as follows.

Free Agency
------------

1. Impact pass rusher at OLB. The Cowboys should not assume Greg Ellis, who turns 32 this year, will come back adequately less than a year removed from blowing out his Achilles. Losing him completely derailed the defense.

2. Cornerback. Anthony Henry does not have the athletic ability to cover anyone man on man. He also struggles in zone. The stat last night about teams having a quarterback rating above 100 when throwing to the offense's left is very telling. Aaron Glenn is done. Teams pick on him routinely with great success.

3. Safety. Though Roy Williams makes some big plays, he'll never make enough to offset the cataclysmic plays he surrenders on a weekly basis. He needs to be gone and replaced with a guy who can actual defend against the pass. Williams, however, is our best safety, which tells you all you need to know about the revolving door next to him.

4. Guard. Marco Rivera is done. Why we chose him over Mike Wahle a few years ago didn't make sense at the time and doesn't make sense now. He's not even serviceable at this point in his career.

Draft
-----

1. Wide receiver. Hopefully Owens will be gone. Even if he's back, though, we need young blood at this position, as Owens and Glenn are nearing the end.

2. Offensive line. Bringing in a decent guard to replace Rivera would give us five average players on the offensive line. We need to start adding some good players.

3. Cornerback. Ideally we bring in a free agent and draft a guy to give us the replacements for Henry and Glenn.

4. Safety. Again, bring in a free agent and draft a guy to land replacements for Roy Williams and Revolving Door.

I'd love to add an option for replacing Julius Jones, but the reality is that we'd have to make that the priority in free agency or the draft to find a better option, and frankly, this team has way bigger needs at this point. I wouldn't be opposed to it if the the right guy fell into our laps in the draft, though.

JBS

Reaction score
In my opinion finding a Stud guard or maybe even 2 in FA or the draft is head and shoulders our bigggest weakness. I dont not see any situation in which we will replace Henry as our starting CB. Even if we do draft 1 I dont not see that rookie beating out Henry. 2 years ago everyone said Newman was a bust and needed to be replaced but he was lingering from an injured knee all season and he bounced back well. I feel the same way about Henry. After Guard(s) we need to improve our pass rush. The only way I can think of improving our pass rush would be by drafting an OLB but it appears to me that Carpenter has that spot. So I dont know how we can improve our rush without drafting an OLB- atleast personell wise.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
wick;1297609 said:
This assumes no coaching or scheme changes in the offseason. In no particular order, the needs are as follows.

Free Agency
------------

1. Impact pass rusher at OLB. The Cowboys should not assume Greg Ellis, who turns 32 this year, will come back adequately less than a year removed from blowing out his Achilles. Losing him completely derailed the defense.

2. Cornerback. Anthony Henry does not have the athletic ability to cover anyone man on man. He also struggles in zone. The stat last night about teams having a quarterback rating above 100 when throwing to the offense's left is very telling. Aaron Glenn is done. Teams pick on him routinely with great success.

3. Safety. Though Roy Williams makes some big plays, he'll never make enough to offset the cataclysmic plays he surrenders on a weekly basis. He needs to be gone and replaced with a guy who can actual defend against the pass. Williams, however, is our best safety, which tells you all you need to know about the revolving door next to him.

4. Guard. Marco Rivera is done. Why we chose him over Mike Wahle a few years ago didn't make sense at the time and doesn't make sense now. He's not even serviceable at this point in his career.

Draft
-----

1. Wide receiver. Hopefully Owens will be gone. Even if he's back, though, we need young blood at this position, as Owens and Glenn are nearing the end.

2. Offensive line. Bringing in a decent guard to replace Rivera would give us five average players on the offensive line. We need to start adding some good players.

3. Cornerback. Ideally we bring in a free agent and draft a guy to give us the replacements for Henry and Glenn.

4. Safety. Again, bring in a free agent and draft a guy to land replacements for Roy Williams and Revolving Door.

I'd love to add an option for replacing Julius Jones, but the reality is that we'd have to make that the priority in free agency or the draft to find a better option, and frankly, this team has way bigger needs at this point. I wouldn't be opposed to it if the the right guy fell into our laps in the draft, though.

what a terrible plan...if the first sentence of your post is true, then nothing else matters because nothing will change, even if all the changes you suggest took place

because the problem isnt the players, especially on defense...OL we have acouple of issues, but not on defense

David

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
dbair1967;1297801 said:
what a terrible plan...if the first sentence of your post is true, then nothing else matters because nothing will change, even if all the changes you suggest took place

because the problem isnt the players, especially on defense...OL we have acouple of issues, but not on defense

David

:hammer:

Why can't people see this? It's the scheme people!

Secondly, WR is NOT the #1 priority.....in fact, it's not a priority AT ALL!

O-line is.

Big D

Reaction score
Doomsday;1297663 said:
2 Guards
DE
ILB / OLB
Backup NT
FS
Backup QB

I would add to that ILB . Bradie James must be replaced I don't care how much money we just gave him , it was a mistake that must be corrected. He is the weakest link.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Jimz31;1297808 said:
:hammer:

Why can't people see this? It's the scheme people!

Secondly, WR is NOT the #1 priority.....in fact, it's not a priority AT ALL!

O-line is.

SO TRUE!!!

I hoped they would fix the OL last year and they just cruised right past... Got some 7th round developmental talent!!! Whopee!!:rolleyes:

2 (two) 1000 yard recievers and yes they are both ready for the rocking chair. Whatever...:confused:

Maybe we can actually learn to sack a lunch in pre-season and then move on to QBs in the regular season.;)

wick

Reaction score
It helps to read what is written before responding. Had you done so, you would not have missed the following:

"In no particular order..."

And for those who think there are no personnel issues on defense...well, let's just say you're crazy or badly uninformed.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
This may seem like a boring draft, but I promise you if we do this, we will be purchasing our Super Bowl tickets for next year.

2 players we should break the bank on -- Everyone's saying Adalius Thomas (sp?), and some huge Guard. You get those 2 players, and then a couple of scrub parts, but spend your money on those 2 players.

Now for those of you who are impatient just hold on.
1st pick - best tackle or guard
2nd pick - best tackle or guard
3rd pick - best MLB/ILB, preferably fast and strong.
4th - best corner
5th - best corner
6th - BPA
7th - BPA

Those 1st 2 picks are really boring, but take a look at some good teams for a second. Steelers were good for years because of their passrush and oline, same goes for Philly/New England/Colts, the list goes on.

I swear to you if you get a dominant offensive line, just watch Romo slowly pick defenses a part, and you will think Jones will be a 1400 yd back.

On defense, teams will be forced to get rid of the ball fast, and that leads to turnovers. Our defense will look dominant.

Move Henry to FS, why not? The guy can play that position and is big enough to come down and make tackles. If you get a fast fast ILB, you can forget about guys coming out in the flat, and the TE shooting up the middle.

Zimmer cannot stay and this is why. Forget about him not being able to coach his corners and teach them how to turn around on deep balls, and allowing the FB to become all world, but because the guy is as good as any of us at running a 3-4. You can't learn that position in a year or 2, you need years and years to perfect that defense, we need someone there with experience, and creativity.

We MUST bring in a really really good back up QB, in case Romo goes down, you don't want your season going down with it. Doesn't matter if you keep or release/trade TO, you have an up and coming Crayton/Austin Miles/Hurd and a couple other youngsters, let them get out there like we did for Carpenter, and just play.

Next year, please use JJones in the passing game, and tell him to run anyway he feels free to run, just don't turn it over. If he must go against the hole because he witnesses a better option, then do it. If we're in a 3-4, please SHOW blitz on every down. Doesn't mean you blitz, but show it please, and since we'll have Ware in coverage half the time, it won't be bad with another dominant pass rushing OLB on the other side.

Please add to this if you have any other ideas.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Carpenter will hold down the other OLB spot opposite from Ware. We need to draft DB and OL on the first day.

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I love reading everyone's ideas and speculation, but can we please use just a little common sense in these threads?

-Bradie James just got a fat contract extension. He's simply not going to be cut. Nor will he be traded. He's here next year, that's just a fact of life right now....his cap number would be too high.

-Anthony Henry. First, remember that's he's been playing hurt. Then remember that even good corners don't grow on trees, and think back to all the spares we've had at CB over the past decade. Then look at the contract he signed in 2005, 5 for $25 and a $9m bonus. Henry too is not going anywhere.

-Roy Williams just got a fat contract extension. 5 years for $25.2 with $11.1 guaranteed. See: Bradie James. He's not going anywhere either.

Let's start every speculation thread with those premises, and they will be much more believable.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Seriously thinking we should move Carp inside. He's too good to leave that position up for grabs. Carp should move inside next to Ayodele, he will be all over the place.

Personally, I would drop the 3-4 and use Thomas as the other DE with Ware on the other side. Move Ayodele inside and draft a speedy OLB to play opposite Carpenter. Draft a huge NT to help push the pile forward along with Ferguson, and on passing downs, bring in Hatcher and Canty/Ratliff/Spears, any of those.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
EastDallasCowboy;1298434 said:
Hey guys.

I love reading everyone's ideas and speculation, but can we please use just a little common sense in these threads?

-Bradie James just got a fat contract extension. He's simply not going to be cut. Nor will he be traded. He's here next year, that's just a fact of life right now....his cap number would be too high.
Personally, Bradie will not be getting any faster and we were beat on speed, I would trade the guy, or take the hit.

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
How do you trade a guy with that sized contract? It's not feasible in the current NFL cap system.

And why take the hit? He was atleast serviceable.

If cutting him cost the cap space necessary to sign Adalius Thomas, would you still favor cutting him?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
EastDallasCowboy;1298465 said:
How do you trade a guy with that sized contract? It's not feasible in the current NFL cap system.

And why take the hit? He was atleast serviceable.

If cutting him cost the cap space necessary to sign Adalius Thomas, would you still favor cutting him?
I'll let Mr Jones figure that one out, but if we want a dominant defense, we cannot afford to continuously give up 5 yarders to FBs and TEs because of the play of a couple of players.

JJones son is the genius capologist, let him figure it out.

rickster14

Reaction score
It's been said by a few folks on this board and needs repeating: YOU WIN AT THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE !

If our DL can get to the QB, then our CBs won't have to cover forever and Williams can be known once again for his hits instead of his coverage inability.

If our OL can protect the QB and open holes for our stable of RBs, Romo should be a very good QB and can choose to run at times instead of having to run out of fear for his life.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wick;1297609 said:
This assumes no coaching or scheme changes
You are doomed right there. Any roster changes won't matter. If we don't make changes at the top we will still be what we are......a very average team. Going 9-8 and losing a wild card game in the extremely weak NFC is saying you are a pathetic team. After 4 years on the job, that is unacceptable. See sig.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Clove;1298480 said:
I'll let Mr Jones figure that one out, but if we want a dominant defense, we cannot afford to continuously give up 5 yarders to FBs and TEs because of the play of a couple of players.

JJones son is the genius capologist, let him figure it out.
Nah, keep him but bring someone in to compete for his job. Do the same with all the underperformers recently signed. If they cost a lot more to cut than keep, then it would make more sense to have them as relatively good reserves than to cut them. And some of them might perform better next year.