Offseason Idea

Ceasaleo88

Reaction score
I was thinking about our LB situation for next year. By my count without the help of looking at a roster we have Ware, Ellis, James, Carpenter, Burnett, Spencer, Ayodele and Rogers signed for next year.

Do u think that we would still be in the market for another LB this offseason? I can see us cutting Ayodele, and letting Burnett or Carpenter fill his spot. I don't us using a high draft pick to fill that void in the rotation. Think we could use the money from Akin's deal and spend it on a free agent like Julius Peppers. I've always thought he would be a monster as a 3-4 OLB and he's comin off a average to bad season, maybe he won't cost that much. Just a thought, what do u guys think?

hairic

Reaction score
Dallas would have more cap space if they didn't cut Ayodele. About $500,000 more (3 million accelerated signing bonus, 2.5 million salary wiped out).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Ceasaleo88;1848159 said:
I was thinking about our LB situation for next year. By my count without the help of looking at a roster we have Ware, Ellis, James, Carpenter, Burnett, Spencer, Ayodele and Rogers signed for next year.

Do u think that we would still be in the market for another LB this offseason? I can see us cutting Ayodele, and letting Burnett or Carpenter fill his spot. I don't us using a high draft pick to fill that void in the rotation. Think we could use the money from Akin's deal and spend it on a free agent like Julius Peppers. I've always thought he would be a monster as a 3-4 OLB and he's comin off a average to bad season, maybe he won't cost that much. Just a thought, what do u guys think?
I'll never say ti couldn't happen. Burnett has played very well when he has had chances. I think Carpenter is better than some think, but not as good yet as the guys ahead of him.

Not sure on Peppers though. Traditional 4-3 DE more than a 3-4 DE. I can see Hatcher as the starting LDE next year though and Canty as the RDE. Making Spears someone they could look to move.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I swear, if I wasn't a Cowboys fan, I wouldn't even know Ayodele was on the team. He never gets his name called for making a big play.

Plus, apparently, the guy wants to be a GQ model when his career is over. You guys seen his website?

11_AKIN.jpg

What the hell.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
TheCount;1848290 said:
I swear, if I wasn't a Cowboys fan, I wouldn't even know Ayodele was on the team. He never gets his name called for making a big play.

Plus, apparently, the guy wants to be a GQ model when his career is over. You guys seen his website?

11_AKIN.jpg

What the hell.

that's a bad suit for someone who could afford their own personal tailor

Sandyf

Reaction score
I could see us trading Bobby Carpenter to Miami, that wouldn't surprise me.

Ayodele isn't playing bad, he is just doing his job but nothing earth shaking. You don't here his name called for anything bad either. You don't have to have your named called all the time or any for that matter if you are doing your job and doing it well.

If we need any LB depth, I could see Jerry going after Terrel Suggs from Baltimore. He can play LB or DE in the 3-4 and will only be 25 next year. He is a FA at the end of the NFL year so Baltimore might franchise him.

I could also see us drafting one in the second round depending who the "best player available is"

Reaction score
Ceasaleo88;1848159 said:

Please, no. For someone with a world of athletic ability, he has been more of a liability on the field this year for the Panthers than an asset. He, and his agent, deny that he has any injury (up until he recently hurt his knee). A big knock on him before he was drafted was that he had a tendency to take plays off. I guess he decided to extend that to the whole season this year. There is something up with him, and if he is just sulking because he doesn't want to be in Carolina (which is a widespread rumor), what else is going to cause him to sulk and disappear on the field?

Sorry, just not a fan of him, and we can spend our money better elsewhere.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Ceasaleo88;1848159 said:

Peppers would still probably cost a ton. Lance Briggs won't be cheap either, but I'd love to see him play the ILB position as a guy who can stop the run, cover, and occasionally run the passer. He can play all 3 downs here instead of playing 2 like Akin, and most of the time Brady and be far better in the nickel and dime than Burnett.

YAKUZA

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;1848540 said:
Peppers would still probably cost a ton. Lance Briggs won't be cheap either, but I'd love to see him play the ILB position as a guy who can stop the run, cover, and occasionally run the passer. He can play all 3 downs here instead of playing 2 like Akin, and most of the time Brady and be far better in the nickel and dime than Burnett.

YAKUZA

I'm not so sure Biggs is known for his coverage skills. Plus, playing next to Urlacher probably helps. Bringing in, and paying, Briggs would also mean he'd have to be an every down LB, which means he becomes the #1 MLB and Bradie is #2.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
TheCount;1848589 said:
I'm not so sure Biggs is known for his coverage skills. Plus, playing next to Urlacher probably helps. Bringing in, and paying, Briggs would also mean he'd have to be an every down LB, which means he becomes the #1 MLB and Bradie is #2.

Briggs is known for his cover skills. In fact he's been charted as the top cover linebacker in the league by FO.com the past two seasons and is again having an outstanding season. Urlacher is good, but Briggs has shown the ability to excel when Urlacher is out with injury or just not playing up to snuff. Urlacher has had some struggles this season with an arthritic back acting up and Briggs is still playing great.

As far as the #1 and #2 business, James isn't at his best as a 3 down backer. Put Briggs there and you'll have a much better ILB tandem and improved LB play in the nickel and dime.

A huge part of lapses in pass coverage deal with our LB's being mediocre in coverage. Ware has some talent in coverage, but you don't want him out there too much (Spencer shows some promise as well). If we could get better on the interior, I really think this would be a scary defense.

YAKUZA