Offseason Plans

mattjames2010

Reaction score
1. Clean house and bring in an entirely new coaching staff

2. Trade Zeke while he still has some value, he's not worth a second contract

3. Looking around the league, there isn't too many QB desperate teams that I feel will jump into the top 5. So if we end up with a pick outside the top 5, we can use what we get from trading Zeke to get our future QB

4. Never allow Dak to start another game for us.

5. Sign Earl Thomas if he even wants to play here anymore

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The only “clean house” that would matter starts with the front office. If nothing changes there, it’s just another coat of paint on the “Titanic”.

We know that isn't going to happen, so we have to be somewhat realistic here.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

3. Looking around the league, there isn't too many QB desperate teams that I feel will jump into the top 5. So if we end up with a pick outside the top 5, we can use what we get from trading Zeke to get our future QB

The Cowboys need a QB, WR, TE and OL help. Why you breaking the bank on a S?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score

lol, "clean house" but bring in a 30 yr old safety that will cost a 2nd round pick and a contract making him the highest paid safety in the NFL......what could possibly go wrong........IF there was a chance to trade for him it ended yesterday.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
lol, "clean house" but bring in a 30 yr old safety that will cost a 2nd round pick and a contract making him the highest paid safety in the NFL......what could possibly go wrong........IF there was a chance to trade for him it ended yesterday.

What are you talking about? Earl Thomas is a free agent in the offseason. Do you see the title? Read it again.

Also, the cleaning house is about the coaching staff, I didn't mention rebuild.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The Cowboys need a QB, WR, TE and OL help. Why you breaking the bank on a S?

....why do you want to break the bank on WR or TE? Two positions that don't win you super bowls. Defenses do....

And QB? Okay, I don't know if you folks took stupid pills or not, but maybe you should read the post again? DRAFT OUR QB, don't mess around on the FA market giving a big contract to a scrub QB that flashed. You're not going to break the bank here.

Thomas would be worth the money and we will have the cap space to sign him.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
....why do you want to break the bank on WR or TE? Two positions that don't win you super bowls. Defenses do....

And QB? Okay, I don't know if you folks took stupid pills or not, but maybe you should read the post again? DRAFT OUR QB, don't mess around on the FA market giving a big contract to a scrub QB that flashed. You're not going to break the bank here.

Thomas would be worth the money and we will have the cap space to sign him.
Cowboys #30 total offense, #3 total defense. Please, put away those stupid pills.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Cowboys #30 total offense, #3 total defense. Please, put away those stupid pills.

And we played Carolina, Giants, and Seahawks. Not exactly high powered offenses. Maybe get some context, boy. What did Cam throw for yesterday? 150 yards with a 6 yard average?

Defense. Wins. Championships. You want to roll with two scrubs at safety? You don't win in this league that way. We'll sign Thomas and you'll accept it.

And stupid is thinking we need to go big on a WR - a position that does not correlate well when it comes to championship wins. Same crap with RBs. They are luxury positions.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
And we played Carolina, Giants, and Seahawks. Not exactly high powered offenses. Maybe get some context, boy. What did Cam throw for yesterday? 150 yards with a 6 yard average?

Defense. Wins. Championships. You want to roll with two scrubs at safety? You don't win in this league that way. We'll sign Thomas and you'll accept it.
Thanks for the cliche, never mind the stats. Keep yer boy chit to yerself.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Thanks for the cliche, never mind the stats. Keep yer boy chit to yerself.

I explained the stats. You left out the context - for 2 weeks people told us our D was great, Super Bowl level. And then we played a competent QB, didn't look so hot now did it?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I explained the stats. You left out the context - for 2 weeks people told us our D was great, Super Bowl level. And then we played a competent QB, didn't look so hot now did it?
The D is not great, though they are good. I would much rather commit resources to improve the abysmal O. Balance is important and helps the entire team. Eli a 2x SB MVP and Cam a league MVP are not competent QBs?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The D is not great, though they are good. I would much rather commit resources to improve the abysmal O. Balance is important and helps the entire team. Eli a 2x SB MVP and Cam a league MVP are not competent QBs?

Eli Manning is over the hill, stop pretending he's suddenly in his prime to support your argument. I don't give two ***** that Cam won MVP, he's still a player that struggles to throw an accurate ball week to week. Show me how many seasons he's thrown 60% completions.

....and I said to commit resources to the offense, you know, by getting an actual franchise QB. You don't need big time WRs - and there are none coming to FA as of now anyways that will demand a big contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

Fitzgerald will retire, Cobb will be 30, Golden Tate will be 32, Kelvin Benjamin is already 28. Not sure who you think we should avoid Thomas to sign....

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sign Thomas. Dont trade for him. We need our picks.

Our defense is good. Not great. We have some decent parts at Safety, but no one that is rounded. Heath, Frazier, and Woods all have there uses but they also can be exposed. Two TDs yesterday would not have likely happened with Thomas on the field with a star on his helmet.

If we strengthen that back end our D could become very good. I dont think the safeties are atrocious, but a good QB can exploit them like we saw Russell do on his two passing TD's

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Eli Manning is over the hill, stop pretending he's suddenly in his prime to support your argument. I don't give two ***** that Cam won MVP, he's still a player that struggles to throw an accurate ball week to week. Show me how many seasons he's thrown 60% completions.

....and I said to commit resources to the offense, you know, by getting an actual franchise QB. You don't need big time WRs - and there are none coming to FA as of now anyways that will demand a big contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

Fitzgerald will retire, Cobb will be 30, Golden Tate will be 32, Kelvin Benjamin is already 28. Not sure who you think we should avoid Thomas to sign....
"Competent", your word, is a long way off from "in his prime". Seems like your arguing with yourself and your own words more than for your point. You sound like Stephen Jones with the "you don't did big time receivers" analogy. How's that working out for the Cowboys this year?

What would ET have done for the Cowboys in the game Sunday? They would have lost by only 6 or 7? The Cowboys don't need to spend top dollar on a S. Sure he would help, he is a HOFer, but the Cowboys are hemorrhaging on offense and already play good D. Those receivers you mention would be good for nothing but one year gap deals, if even interested. Who is coming to the Cowboys with the current QB and system

Cowboys have a couple WRs and TEs coming due next year. Byron Jones after next season, oh, what do they do about DLaw? Plus they still don't have a upper echelon QB on the roster (big $$$ FA), still need playmakers on offense, Zeke will be due after a couple seasons and need OL depth

Lotta mouths to feed.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
"Competent", your word, is a long way off from "in his prime". Seems like your arguing with yourself and your own words more than for your point. You sound like Stephen Jones with the "you don't did big time receivers" analogy. How's that working out for the Cowboys this year?

What would ET have done for the Cowboys in the game Sunday? They would have lost by only 6 or 7? The Cowboys don't need to spend top dollar on a S. Sure he would help, he is a HOFer, but the Cowboys are hemorrhaging on offense and already play good D. Those receivers you mention would be good for nothing but one year gap deals, if even interested. Who is coming to the Cowboys with the current QB and system

Cowboys have a couple WRs and TEs coming due next year. Byron Jones after next season, oh, what do they do about DLaw? Plus they still don't have a upper echelon QB on the roster (big $$$ FA), still need playmakers on offense, Zeke will be due after a couple seasons and need OL depth

Lotta mouths to feed.

....in Eli's prime, he was a competent WR. You're trying REALLY hard here but coming up with nothing. Stop arguing just to argue, boy. And our WRs look bad because our QB is bad.

What would have ET have done for Cowboys on Sunday? How about reading a play correctly and not allowing an RB to run freely to the end zone?

Yes, Cowboys DO need to spend a dollar on a safety, you lunatic. Safety is still an important position, and we have scrubs back there. Stop talking about football, you're not educated enough.

Byron Jones can walk. D-Law will be 28 next year, has back problems, and can't stay healthy for consecutive years. You watch and see how Taco develops and move on from D-Law.

And now you're bringing up what we may need in a couple seasons? Bud, Zeke at this point may never see a second contract with us.

Bored. Stay out of my thread, you have nothing else to offer here.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If we know that’s not going to happen, why should we expect this team to get better?

Then stop watching and stop getting into discussions. Looks like you know what to expect. Move along and stop taking up space.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
....in Eli's prime, he was a competent WR. You're trying REALLY hard here but coming up with nothing. Stop arguing just to argue, boy. And our WRs look bad because our QB is bad.

What would have ET have done for Cowboys on Sunday? How about reading a play correctly and not allowing an RB to run freely to the end zone?

Yes, Cowboys DO need to spend a dollar on a safety, you lunatic. Safety is still an important position, and we have scrubs back there. Stop talking about football, you're not educated enough.

Byron Jones can walk. D-Law will be 28 next year, has back problems, and can't stay healthy for consecutive years. You watch and see how Taco develops and move on from D-Law.

And now you're bringing up what we may need in a couple seasons? Bud, Zeke at this point may never see a second contract with us.

Bored. Stay out of my thread, you have nothing else to offer here.
LOL! Have fun diddling yourself on your thread.