Offseason Question: Will Greg Ellis Be Traded This Upcoming Draft?

the_h0wey

Reaction score
I think if he had not made such a solid transition to the 3-4 then he would have been traded, but he was able to produce a solid year and so therefore......NO

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Yes, to the Saints for the #2 pick and then we take Super Mario! :D

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
junk said:
:rolleyes:

Sometimes people just don't think things through.

So they rushed the passer in college. How do we know any one of them won't be the next Shante Carver?

What about 3-4 DE depth? If Canty or Spears go down, do you feel comfortable with Ratliff or Strong Dog starting for an extended period? I don't.

Ellis is cheap. You could maybe get a 4th or 5th for him. Why trade him? You can't replace him for cost and reimbursement.
Some people just don't think period.

How many Super Bowls has Ellis won us? How many double digit sacks has Ellis given us? How many times has Ellis dominated a game?

I'd say Ellis is Average. But the love affair people have with him just because he's a nice guy is sickening.

Ellis needs to go, help us get a good trade for him, we can get that 8 sacks from anywhere.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
junk said:
:lmao2: Don't you want someone who is good at it?

We also have Burnett....IDK, someone who primarily plays OLB can always go play down DE. So who is to say BP wont just rotate Spears/Ratliff/Canty at DE opposite Ware?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
I was wondering because I didn't hear nothing about him signing a new deal or anything.. What's going on with the situation? Could Ellis be traded Draft day?
..but they could dangle him for trade bait if they are lookng to move up in the draft.

I'd say because he's still signed for several years, he's a true 4-3 DL that has no long-term future in a 3-4 world..

..and having come off an 8 sack season..

..he's got value if Dallas had the right offer.

My feeling is, Dallas will find a good situation for Ellis if possible at the right time.

I've always liked him..he's a team guy. But he never lived up to his draft position and Dallas would be smart to move him while he still has value.

The way I see it..if LA is expendable at his age with his pedigree..Greg Ellis is definitely expendable given the right situation.

If Dallas traded him though, I'd think it would place urgency in the DL to draft another DL high to replace him and keep the DL rotation going.

If Ellis got traded, I'd think DL would move to near the front of our need list.

Is there good value in DL at our 18th spot..? NT maybe..? With Glover and then Ellis gone..the inside of the line suddenly would look very suspect with only Fergy there with any talent.

And the only way Ellis is gone is if we are NOT going to play any 4-3 in pass rush situations like we did some last year.

That would mean 3-4 series in and series out. Not sure we have the LBers yet for that. But maybe we would look for several in this draft to take up that slack.

Parcellswaterboy

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Ellis' experience and 8 sacks are alot more valuable then the 5th round draft pick he would net the Cowboys in my opinion.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Ellis needs to go, help us get a good trade for him, we can get that 8 sacks from anywhere.

OK.

Name the guys that have given this team 8 sacks or more in a season other than Greg Ellis over the last decade?

I bet you run out of names pretty quickly there Ace.

TheHustler

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
OK.

Name the guys that have given this team 8 sacks or more in a season other than Greg Ellis over the last decade?

I bet you run out of names pretty quickly there Ace.

He's only led the team in sacks for the past 5 years or so. He's a bum!

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Some people just don't think period.
Apparently.

How many Super Bowls has Ellis won us? How many double digit sacks has Ellis given us? How many times has Ellis dominated a game?

That Super Bowl argument is ridiculous. I guess the Broncos should have traded Elway when he turned 30 since he couldn't win them the big one. Just because someone was on a losing team doesn't mean they were the problem. You build around the good pieces already in place.

How many double digit sacks has Seymour given the Patriots? I can't believe they keep that bum around. :laugh2:

I'd say Ellis is Average. But the love affair people have with him just because he's a nice guy is sickening.

I could care less how nice he is. Who led the team in sacks last year? Ah, thank you very much.

Really? Anywhere? How come only Ware could come close to him in sacks last year. How come Dallas has been looking for a pass rush for years to go along with Ellis. If 8 sack guys grew on trees, they wouldn't get double digit signing bonuses.

What do you really expect to get for Ellis in trade and what would you replace him with?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
joshjwc9 said:
We also have Burnett....IDK, someone who primarily plays OLB can always go play down DE. So who is to say BP wont just rotate Spears/Ratliff/Canty at DE opposite Ware?

I like burnett - but I think he is a standup only guy. Further, he is probably better served moving inside. If healthy, I would consider moving Shanle back to backup duty and plugging Burnett in the middle.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
nope, Greg's cheap, and still a very effective pass-rusher, he aint going anywhere, we're already young enough as it is on D, can't sacrifice anymore veteran leadership

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
But the love affair people have with him just because he's a nice guy is sickening.

it's not a love affair, it's a simple observation...there's no point in moving Ellis when we don't have to

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I mean, why can't we keep one of our best pass-rushers and add another young one like we're going to? that seems much smarter than bringing in an unproven player, and giving up of a proven one in the process

neosapien23

Reaction score
Dallas still needs Ellis. If and when they draft Lawson or Wimberely, they still needs 4-3 personel for the goaline. You need beef to stop the goaline run, not a bunch of "tweeners".

MONT17

Reaction score
I hope Ellis stays... BILL should be gone after 06 and I dont think Jerry will let Zim go no matter who he brings in at HC.... that being said this team has the players to play 3-4 and 4-3 along witha DC who has coached both... BILL may be forced to run some more 4-3 because Fergy is a bust (will be lucky to play th entire season) and who knows in Akin can be effective in the middle!

07 look for Zim will go back to a 4-3! or at least runa mix of the 2!

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
joshjwc9 said:
Thornton, Ayodele and Ogubagu have all played DE either in college or in the pros....

And none of them have proven that they can do it at this level. Oyodele is playin ILB. Thornton is a depth guy, as is Obogu(sp?). If you tihnk those guys come close to resembling Ellis you are out of your mind.