OG Herman Johnson

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Adding this guy and adapting to a power running scheme is what I hope we do. Brace in the second and Johnson in the 3rd we make me very happy.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I would be very happy with "The House" and Brace. It's going to be almost impossible unless you can trade up from the third, imo. If Johnson fell deep into the second or early third, and I don't think he will, Pittsburgh or Seattle might scoop him up. I don't see Johnson making it past Seattle in the third.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg_UlWfHQIQ

Here is a clip of LSU's game winning drive against a quick, fast Florida defense. (2007)

You will see Herman Johnson get some great blocks and push.

Watch Johnson seal All-American linebacker, Brandon Spikes after getting to the second level. It opens up a huge running lane.

Watch Johnson on a key 4th and 1 near the goalline. Look at the push that he gets along with his side. It was key.

Watch Johnson pull around the center and help clear the way on the game winning TD.

LG # 79

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I really like Herman Johnson too

I saw one clip of him blocking in the 2nd level, it was pretty impressive, he got one guy, went upfield, and changed direction to hit another guy

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
i would call it a coup if we can get brace and herman johnson in the 2nd and 3rd round, then a safety and de in 4th round, then sammie hill & a linebacker or QB in 5th round and i would be totally happy

its kinda like nate newton said the cowboys need foot soldiers that are in the trenches and get the job done

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
and yes since we have an extra 5th and a extra 7th rounder, i would trade up in 2nd or 3rd round and get those 2 players

RS12

Reaction score
this guy looked like a stiff to me at the Senior bowl practices. Bad feet and not that strong at the point of attack. Wouldnt draft him above the 5th round.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
41gy#;2640369 said:
I would be very happy with "The House" and Brace. It's going to be almost impossible unless you can trade up from the third, imo. If Johnson fell deep into the second or early third, and I don't think he will, Pittsburgh or Seattle might scoop him up. I don't see Johnson making it past Seattle in the third.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg_UlWfHQIQ

Here is a clip of LSU's game winning drive against a quick, fast Florida defense. (2007)

You will see Herman Johnson get some great blocks and push.

Watch Johnson seal All-American linebacker, Brandon Spikes after getting to the second level. It opens up a huge running lane.

Watch Johnson on a key 4th and 1 near the goalline. Look at the push that he gets along with his side. It was key.

Watch Johnson pull around the center and help clear the way on the game winning TD.

LG # 79
This guy would do wonders for our run game. You guys saw how our line works when we have a weak link in it. Imagine the strongest and biggest guy in college football next to Flo and Gurode. If Brace is off the board, I have no problem getting this guy with the 51st pick Now if we could do a slight trade up and get both I would do backflips.

Randy White

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e45358

Herman Johnson starts the video by getting killed doing a " look out " block. Then at 3:50 into the video, watch Herman Johnson get bullied, spunned, and straight up manhandled by a much smaller defensive tackle.

This guy is at best a 5th or 6th round draft pick, and I mean a comp pick ( as in late in the round ), with hopes that someday he develops.

Even looking at his highlights, you can see he doens't have the " mean streak " that O-linemen should have.

:starspin

RS12

Reaction score
draft Canfield or Ubrick in the 3rd or 4th round and you'll be alot happier than with Johnson in the 2nd

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Randy White;2640447 said:
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e45358

Herman Johnson starts the video by getting killed doing a " look out " block. Then at 3:50 into the video, watch Herman Johnson get bullied, spunned, and straight up manhandled by a much smaller defensive tackle.

This guy is at best a 5th or 6th round draft pick, and I mean a comp pick ( as in late in the round ), with hopes that someday he develops.

Even looking at his highlights, you can see he doens't have the " mean streak " that O-linemen should have.

The much smaller DT is Peria Jerry, who really was unblockable the entire time he was there. People call him the next Warren Sapp and who in my opinion will be the best guy to come out of this drfat. Clay Matthews beat Micheal Oher like a drum as well but he still will go top 10. By the way he look very good in the actual game.

Now another guy we may want to take a shot at is Tyronne Greene if we decide not to go with Big Sherm.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Herman Johnson was a first team AP All-American.

http://www.tigerrag.com/?p=4993

The last first guy who earned that honor at LSU on the offensive line was Alan Faneca. He tured out pretty good.

Antoine Caldwell
Andre Smith
Micheal Oher
Duke Robinson
Herman Johnson

These are the first team AP All-American offensive linemen. They are all fine football players and highly rated. They all have the skins on the wall and will be drafted on day one.

Most players have things they can get better on, and most players are not perfect. If Johnson has a good combine, he will probably solidify his second round status. He could challenge Kyle Kosier for a starting job.

In the article, Les Miles talks about Johnson's character, values, and integrity. He calls him a team leader.

Randy White

Reaction score
can be named to the all first teams you want, and there's nothing wrong with getting beat from time to time.

However, when you get manhandled the way Johnson has, there's a problem. Especially when you outweight your opponent by 70 Lbs.

One thing is getting beat by a smaller, quicker guy using quickness and speed and another is getting beat by that same smaller, quicker guy using straight up strength. Johnson got pushed back, stepped around, and driven into the QB by a guy who has no business doing that to him. And it happened TWICE.

late 5th or 6th round and hope he gets stronger and meaner. That's all I'd spend on him.