Twitter: OG Ron Leary anyone?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Lot of people were upset the Cowboys let Leary go, but it was absolutely the right call. I woule pass on Leary we already have some backup guard options and rather Looney return anyway.

Leary to LG, Williams to swing T/G first backup, McGovern to C backup, G 2nd backup, Knight to T 2nd backup

If Leary came cheap, that could be pretty sweet. Young, cheap, developing guys for all our backup positions, 2 deep. Ideal.

But what's up with him missing the last 4 games of the season. Was he injured?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think McGovern will show a lot of potential in training camp. He could possibly win the starting job.
giphy.gif

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
No way. Xavier, McGovern, and/or Looney can battle for LG.

Williams has had knee surgery for 3 straight seasons so there's no way McCarthy will look at him as a long term full time starter going forward. I expect Williams to be moved to Swing tackle which will allow the front office to cut Cam Fleming and save $5 million

All indications are that they don't see Looney as a credible G. XSF and Looney are not under contract. Let both go, start Leary at LG.

This looks like an upgrade to me. One sweet oline, with sweet backups. Me likey.

Tyron, Leary, Frederick, Martin, Collins
Williams to swing T/G first backup, McGovern to C backup and G 2nd backup, Knight to T 2nd backup

All dependent on Leary being healthy and our best option to start at LG. Seems likely, but he missed the last 4 games of the season, and I couldn't find what that was about.

EDIT: Although maybe I'm just living in the past. Truthfully haven't seen Leary play in years. His PFF last year was 58.4. That sounds like a player to pass on. Too bad.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Aren’t Sua Filo and Looney free agents? No guarantee they return

I'd rather pay for one Leary to start than XSF and Looney to backup.

Although maybe I'm just living in the past. Truthfully haven't seen Leary play in years. His PFF last year was 58.4. That sounds like a player to pass on. Too bad.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think McGovern will show a lot of potential in training camp. He could possibly win the starting job.

Depends who they see as likely and desirable starters at LG.

If McGovern looks like the starting LG, Leary's only role is as a potential XSF replacement.

Leary's PFF was 58.4 and he missed the last 4 games. Even XSF was higher at 60.1. Leary sounds like a player to pass on unless there's some real mitigating circumstances.

I was excited at the thought of Leary as a *better* starter than Williams or McGovern. If he's not that, he's not that interesting.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Leary to LG, Williams to swing T/G first backup, McGovern to C backup, G 2nd backup, Knight to T 2nd backup

If Leary came cheap, that could be pretty sweet. Young, cheap, developing guys for all our backup positions, 2 deep. Ideal.

But what's up with him missing the last 4 games of the season. Was he injured?

First you completely forget why the Cowboys let Leary walk to start out with. He has a degenerative knee condition which means his knee will never get better, only worse. Doctors have said he has had a longer career than expected with this kind of condition. He has never played in entier season in his career because of his knee and other injuries. At this point he can't even be relied upon to be healthy as a backup. So he's a backup and the starter goes down but at that time Leary is having problems with his knee and he can't go in either so he's just wasting a roster spot. Which brings us to your plan might , repeat might be right if the offensive line was the Cowboys only area of need but it would require the Cowboys allocate an extra lineman roster spot so some other position will have to make do with one less spot. Stop remembering only games Leary played in YEARS ago and realize he's not that player and never will be again.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need to develop the conners, William's and McGovern. Looney plays two positions. Sua plays well. We have young tackles should tyron smith retire. No room for leary any longer.

Looney and Su'a Filo are both free agents.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People forget that and expect them both to just come back for the minimum

It sure looks that way.

Players that aren't under contract shouldn't be factored into decisions about pursuing other players or not.

Carson

Reaction score
It sure looks that way.

Players that aren't under contract shouldn't be factored into decisions about pursuing other players or not.

I see Sua Filo coming back cheap possibly. I consider Looney looking for a chance to play. He has multiple starts under his belt and can play guard and center

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see Sua Filo coming back cheap possibly. I consider Looney looking for a chance to play. He has multiple starts under his belt and can play guard and center

I hope you're right about Su'a Filo and I definitely think you're right about Looney. Someone will pay him more than Dallas can afford.

Creeper

Reaction score
Reminder, Leary has a degenerative knee condition that caused him to fall through the draft. Dallas signed him as an undrafted free agent. He could have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick if not for his knee condition. He had trouble staying healthy in Denver. He might be able to play as a backup assuming he was not needed for more than a couple of games but at what price?

jrumann59

Reaction score
He is not coming back here, blame Jerry. Their rush to get Collins on the line and the way they did it they would have to overpay to get him here.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Reminder, Leary has a degenerative knee condition that caused him to fall through the draft. Dallas signed him as an undrafted free agent. He could have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick if not for his knee condition. He had trouble staying healthy in Denver. He might be able to play as a backup assuming he was not needed for more than a couple of games but at what price?
Yes and No. Its only degenerative if he has an injury that triggers it.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...symptoms-causes/syc-20375887?page=0&citems=10

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The OG no longer stands for "offensive guard". He's an old guy that can't help us.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with adding depth. Even if he is no longer a reliable starter there is something to be said for backup that has quality experience with Freddie and Smittie.

Gaede

Reaction score
Definitely bring him back. Williams is a decent player, McGovern who knows.

I would bring him back and let him compete for a starting role.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
This was a move I had figured would happen, and I'd love to bring Leary back to compete for the starting left guard job. I thought Denver screwed themselves and him trying to play him elsewhere while he was there.

But it will likely all come down to money for him, and the wholesale change in coaching staff doesn't increase the odds of a return either.

But if the price is right? Heck yeah, put him in the mix at left guard.
Agreed. He's an old dog but he's a mean dog and our OL needs someone to fire them up. They looked lifeless and pitiful against the Eags 2nd string late last year. Big E and Columbo used to take that role long ago. It's worth checking him out.