Oglesby signs with Ravens

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2234437 said:
I feel ya Big. I really liked Olgesby myself. I understand the financial reasoning and all but I just liked how he put it out during camp. You like to see those kinds of guys make it. I'm glad he got picked up. He's going to help that team IMO.

I would have bet money he made the team. Hell, he did. They just chose to ignore it. I hope Ball makes me feel better about this. I thought Olgesby could be counted on if there were injuries at CB.

lkelly

Reaction score
A team loaded with the likes of Matt Moore, Evan Oglesby, Todd Lowber, and whatever siblings and illegitimate children Ray Lewis has roaming the earth would definitely give the 2007 Patriots a run for their money. I smell another round of league expansion. Perhaps before the season kicks off tonight.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Whats all the fuss, he was gone next year anyway and we would have to have a multi-car accident at CB for either him or Ball to be active on gameday.:confused:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
lkelly;2234492 said:
A team loaded with the likes of Matt Moore, Evan Oglesby, Todd Lowber, and whatever siblings and illegitimate children Ray Lewis has roaming the earth would definitely give the 2007 Patriots a run for their money. I smell another round of league expansion. Perhaps before the season kicks off tonight.

:lmao2::lmao:

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Where's Cowboyjoe?

Oglesby isn't allowed to sign with them because we play them this season!
:lmao2:

I really think we should have kept Oglesby over Alan Ball.

Ball reminds me a little of Mario Edwards who turned into a pass interference machine.

lkelly

Reaction score
Guys like Ball and Oglesby are last resort roster fodder. They will be behind Newman, Henry, Jones, Jenkins, and Scandrick. If they are ever active it's because they play special teams like Bill Bates or else we have had a glut of injuries.

Expect the team to draft a corner or two every year to challenge for that bottom spot. So even if you are Ball and giddy about your paycheck and the star on your helmet, understand that you aren't long for the team unless you can leapfrog someone else ahead of you or the new draft pick next year stinks out loud.

Back in the golden era of the early 2000s, worrying about the 6th/7th cornerback was about as logical as worrying about our third string QB behind the revolving door of baseball rejects. What a great situation we have these days with the 52nd roster spot on the team getting such fan attention.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2234192 said:
Oglesby is this years Matt Moore. Really wish we would have kept him instead of Ball.

You've got to be kidding.

Oglesby is a fourth-year corner who has yet to make a real impact. He was the Raven's third corner in 2006, but impressed them so much that they cut him the next summer.

If we want to compare anyone to Matt Moore, it should be another rookie we lost, Erik Walden, because he still has the potential to become something. Oglesby is no more than a backup corner who has not shown that he can be relied upon against another teams' starters. In fact, when he played against starters in the preseason, he was picked on.

I liked Oglesby as a bottom of the charts player, but it just amazes me how many are acting like we cut a future star in this league.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Yep, gimmesix nailed it. The only guy we should be having second thoughts about is Erik Walden.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
lkelly;2234492 said:

Some of those players at the bottom of the roster end up at the top. The more these guys can do the better our team esp the ability to sign our stars and bigger paycheck players....like Colombo, Ware et al. I certainly don't think losing Olgesby is life shattering but he appeared to be not only a better CB than Ball but also one of the better CBs on the team in making INTs which is sorely lacking on this team.

Is he on the 53 or the PS?

MONT17

Reaction score
Cuttin evan proves 1 thing... Training camp for the dallas cowboys means nothing but how many tshirts jerry can sell. Jerry has final say on all roster moves.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
jobberone;2235165 said:
Some of those players at the bottom of the roster end up at the top. The more these guys can do the better our team esp the ability to sign our stars and bigger paycheck players....like Colombo, Ware et al. I certainly don't think losing Olgesby is life shattering but he appeared to be not only a better CB than Ball but also one of the better CBs on the team in making INTs which is sorely lacking on this team.

Is he on the 53 or the PS?

Ball is cheaper and better on special teams. Besides, Ball is signed for two more years, compared to Olgesby, who we would have had to sign to a new contract after this year.

And, the most important part, Olgesby (like Ball) are backups who won't get anything but spot playing time behind Newman, PacMan, Henry, Jenkins and Scandrick (spelling?).

It seems obvious to me why he was let go in favor of Ball.

Unfortunately, we can't keep everyone. I wish him well.