Ohio State receiver Brian Robiskie would be good fit for Chicago Bears

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Ohio State receiver Brian Robiskie would be good fit for Chicago Bears
Receiver's father has ties to Chicago, but doesn't think his son will be around when the Bears pick
By Vaughn McClure | Tribune reporter
1:23 PM CDT, April 17, 2009
Terry Robiskie, the receivers coach for the Atlanta Falcons, reluctantly pondered the thought of his son, Brian, suiting up for the Chicago Bears.

``Then I'll have to go out and beat my son early in the season,'' the elder Robiskie said with a laugh.

Based on a 20-minute conversation with the veteran coach Friday, Chicago would be a preferred destination for Brian, a top receiver from Ohio State. But the Bears might be considering a defensive back rather than wide receiver with their first pick.

Brian Robiskie (6-2, 207 pounds) is projected to be selected anywhere from the late-first round to the mid-second round in next Saturday's NFL Draft, meaning he could be gone when the Bears pick 49th overall. He worked out for the Bears last month and has visited the Dallas Cowboys.

Related links
NFL Draft As Terry Robiskie discussed his son's draft possibilities, he recalled how one of his best friends in the coaching ranks was the first coach to offer Brian a college scholarship.

``Ron Turner offered it,'' he said, referring to the Bears offensive coordinator and former Illinois head coach. ``He sent the full-ride offer overnight when Brian was a junior. And Brian was strongly considering playing for Illinois until Turner got released.''

The elder Robiskie's ties to Chicago don't end there. When he played college football at LSU, his roommate was Gene Mobley, a long-time coach at Proviso East. Robiskie came to Chicago every summer to visit Mobley while they were in school.

``I've got a tremendous history with Chicago and have always had a love affair with the city,'' Terry Robiskie said. ``To have such a storied franchise such as the Bears there, it's just a tremendous asset.''

But the elder Robiskie understands any chance of his son landing with the Bears could mean a tumble down the draft board.

`` To be honest with you, I see him going in the middle of the first round,'' the proud father said. ``The only thing that slowed this kid down was the way Ohio State became more of a run-option team.

``I think he's a big kid that can run a 4.45 (40). He has soft, tremendous hands and can catch everything. He understands the game and knows how to get open. And he's a super-intelligent kid. He could learn the playbook tomorrow morning.''

Sounds like a perfect fit for quarterback Matt Ryan and the Falcons.

``Well I know this: He's not coming to Atlanta,'' Terry Robiskie said of his son. ``His mom already beats me up for how I raised him. I think she'd put poison in my food if I had to coach him in the NFL.''

vxmcclure@tribune.com