OK, forget about taking Moss over Ellis.

PaEagleHater

Reaction score
But is there anybody out there you would of rather taken other then Ellis, that went later at his spot? Of the two I would of loved to have Moss' talent, but not the head aches. I think Ellis was a solid pick. Too bad we wasted our first pick the following year on another NC def end.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
PaEagleHater said:
But is there anybody out there you would of rather taken other then Ellis, that went later at his spot? Of the two I would of loved to have Moss' talent, but not the head aches. I think Ellis was a solid pick. Too bad we wasted our first pick the following year on another NC def end.

I agree completely. If Ellis had turned out to be a colossal bust like Ekuban, then I would be outraged. But he hasn't.

I don't think there were many Cowboy fans who were not upset and angry after each and every TD Moss scored on us in his career.

But if you look back at it people are simply projecting the same measure of success for Moss without thinking. Who is to say that Troy Aikman would have clicked with Moss? Would Moss have fit in our offensive system at the time, which was Chan Gailey's?

I don't think so.

It does not excuse or make it right. But to simply think Moss over Ellis would have made our teams since any better is wishful thinking.

When I look at what Moss has done and how he has become bigger than his team and had to be shipped out of Minnesota, I cannot say I regret it nearly as much in retrospect.

I think we all need to give this one a rest.

Eddie

Reaction score
Ellis was an OK pick. Zero Pro Bowls from a #8 pick isn't quite "solid".

But considering the history of blown 1st round draft picks .... Carver, LaFluer, Galloway, Ekuban; the Ellis pick doesn't look so bad.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Eddie, but we all know that the Pro Bowl is garbage.

Not to be a homer but you have the #1 D in the NFC with barely any representation ( Marcus Washington)?.

Yet the Eagles have a 4 players make it ?,... garbage.

Year after year we all shake our heads and say 'how did he make it over so and so ?' .

The same thing goes for the HOF unfortunately.

followthestar

Reaction score
he would've done some damage with Carter at QB, who was good at tossing it up there for hopefully one of our guys to catch...
ellis' role is about to change though, as is Moss' - we'll see if Moss performs for the Raiders, and how ellis can fit in our new defensive schemes. they've both done well in the past but their future is now.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
followthestar said:
he would've done some damage with Carter at QB, who was good at tossing it up there for hopefully one of our guys to catch...

If we had Moss, I doubt we would have ever drafted Carter.

Moss would have meant no Joey Galloway trade. Which means we had two number one choices and we would have probably drafted Aikman's successor well before we got desperate.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Who is to say that Troy Aikman would have clicked with Moss? Would Moss have fit in our offensive system at the time, which was Chan Gailey's?

I don't think so.

This is an interesting thought, but ultimately IMO a rationalization.

I agree Moss could not have had a better situation than he had in Minnesota with Cris Carter, Jake Reed, Robert Smith, a solid OL, and most of all a rejuvenated Randall Cunningham to support him-- but in Dallas he would have had a better OL and the Triplets to support him.

Randy Moss is not a product of his system. Hell, he made that system and would make any offensive team great.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
PaEagleHater said:

already covered this too

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Eddie said:
Ellis was an OK pick. Zero Pro Bowls from a #8 pick isn't quite "solid".

But considering the history of blown 1st round draft picks .... Carver, LaFluer, Galloway, Ekuban; the Ellis pick doesn't look so bad.

the probowl doesnt mean all that much anymore...its a popularity contest, bigtime

Ellis should have made a probowl or two by now, but hasnt because he goes un-noticed because for the most part we have stunk as a team since he's been here

been plenty of other high picks than never made probowls as well

David

ravidubey

Reaction score
Jason Taylor is a pro bowler and it's no popularity contest. Ellis has been an average pro.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Considering what was taking place in Dallas at the time with players constantly getting into trouble and the media beating up on us almost daily it was the right thing to do passing on Moss. As great as Moss is it did not stop Minn from saying enough is enough.