Okay, let's debate about something that is killing me

50cent

Reaction score
The term cover safety. Everyone is advocating that we draft or sign a FS that can cover. Cover who? This is what bothers me. Playing Fs has nothing to do with coverage ability, but instincts. You won't see our Fs lining up on the LOS in front of a TE. Why? Because it forces Roy to play deep middle. If you want Roy to play to his strengths, then a so-called coverage safety is an oxi-moron. Hope is not a cover FS, he is a player that breaks on the ball in space with range. That ability alone allows Palomula to play closer to the line like we want Roy to do. Thats what we need. A player that can play in space and has range with the instincts to know where the Qb wants to go with the ball. Davis' problem is not coverage, but his lack of awareness to where NFL Qbs want to go with the ball. Biting on certain routes and letting the real target go free. Example: Kennison TD and LLoyds TD vs. SF not to mention the Carolina TD to proehl I believe.

Who is this guy? I don't know, although I'm willing to bet its a guy that has range in film study that doesn't bite to often.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
It's more about being a "RE-cover Safety". Someone with coverage speed instead of being a big run stuffer or heavy hitter... more of a ballhawk with speed and vision to defend passes across the field span.

50cent

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
It's more about being a "RE-cover Safety". Someone with coverage speed instead of being a big run stuffer or heavy hitter... more of a ballhawk with speed and vision to defend passes across the field span.
You hit on the head. I think to many people want a cornerback to move to FS, because they think his coverage ability can help. Davis may improve in this area, but to keep posting former corner backs as if their coverage ability will somehow help us is frustarting to see.

50cent

Reaction score
One more point, Hope can't guard Witten one on one. so his coverage abilities are null and void.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
50cent said:
I think to many people want a cornerback to move to FS, because they think his coverage ability can help.

It didn't hurt Aeneas Williams..

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Huff fits our needs so well it's scary.

Too bad I hate using 1st round picks on the Secondary and he'll be long gone by the time we pick anyhow.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
50cent said:
The term cover safety. Everyone is advocating that we draft or sign a FS that can cover. Cover who?
Watch films of the Cowboys games last year. The guy you see running free and clear through our secondary with Keith Davis trying to keep up is who.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:

Too bad I hate using 1st round picks on the Secondary and he'll be long gone by the time we pick anyhow.

If Huff, Williams or Bing can be the same kind of playmaker as Reed, Taylor and Polamalu he will be well worth that #18.

There really isn't a bigger hole on defense than saftey. And whether it's in FA or the draft, finally having a playmaker at FS will free that front 7 up to do a lot more and be more aggressive.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:

No.....What's so scary..... I agree with you.:)

50cent

Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
It didn't hurt Aeneas Williams..
A CB can make the move to FS, but it doesn't have anything to do with one on one coverage ability.

50cent

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Watch films of the Cowboys games last year. The guy you see running free and clear through our secondary with Keith Davis trying to keep up is who.
Your point? As I said, Fs needs to have an ability to recognize routes and where the QB wants to go with the ball. Its a read thing, not a man to man thing. Davis made the wrong reads which has nothing to do with his coverage ability. If he could cover, he would be a Cb not a FS. As a matter of fact Roys coverage ability are more important than Davis', since he actually plays closer to the lOS.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
That's why I like Anthony Smith in the 3rd. He has instincts (6 int's) He's always in the mix.

50cent

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
That's why I like Anthony Smith in the 3rd. He has instincts (6 int's) He's always in the mix.
I like your thinking, because I doubt BP selects one early. He doesn't put alot of stock in FS. For gods sake, he tried to make Woody Dantzler a FS. He also tried converting the Former Nebraska QB to FS while with the Jets. He has said it several times, a FS need to have the ability to tackle. Smith would be a good fit in the 3rd and honestly thats where I expect us to grab one. If we grab one.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
50cent said:
Your point? As I said, Fs needs to have an ability to recognize routes and where the QB wants to go with the ball. Its a read thing, not a man to man thing. Davis made the wrong reads which has nothing to do with his coverage ability. If he could cover, he would be a Cb not a FS. As a matter of fact Roys coverage ability are more important than Davis', since he actually plays closer to the lOS.
You were asking who a cover safety covers. Davis couldn't read is my point. That is why he was always trailing the guy.

50cent

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
You were asking who a cover safety covers. Davis couldn't read is my point. That is why he was always trailing the guy.
Some seem to think that if we drafted a FS that he would be responsible to cover someone one on one. Far from the truth.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
50cent said:
Some seem to think that if we drafted a FS that he would be responsible to cover someone one on one. Far from the truth.
That is oh so true. I just think we need a good one to upgrade that spot as well as upgrading our special teams because Davis would be able to concentrate on that alone.

50cent

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
That is oh so true. I just think we need a good one to upgrade that spot as well as upgrading our special teams because Davis would be able to concentrate on that alone.
Guys that we realistically could get in rounds 2-3.
1. Whitner
2. Manning
3. Smith
4. Allen

This depth is the reason why I don't think we go FS in the first.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
50cent said:
Guys that we realistically could get in rounds 2-3.
1. Whitner
2. Manning
3. Smith
4. Allen

This depth is the reason why I don't think we go FS in the first.
Me either. I still want to trade down and pick up a 2nd or 3rd. With the draft deep at positions we need filled (except WR) I would love 4 picks on day one.

50cent

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Me either. I still want to trade down and pick up a 2nd or 3rd. With the draft deep at positions we need filled (except WR) I would love 4 picks on day one.
That would be an ideal situation. Trade down that is! With the ability to still pick up the player we want. My wish list:

Round 1:
Carpenter
Round 2:
O'Callaghan
Round 3:
Manning or Smith or Allen(FS)
Round 3: Round one trade down, of course
Greg Lee
Round 5:
Vickers
Round 6:
Gostowski - K
Round 7:
Unknown Texan

DaBoyz73

Reaction score
50cent said:
I like your thinking, because I doubt BP selects one early. He doesn't put alot of stock in FS. For gods sake, he tried to make Woody Dantzler a FS. He also tried converting the Former Nebraska QB to FS while with the Jets. He has said it several times, a FS need to have the ability to tackle. Smith would be a good fit in the 3rd and honestly thats where I expect us to grab one. If we grab one.

Well I'm glad to see someone make some type of sense in regards to our needs at FS.

I think we have beat this topic to death!