Oklahoma out of top 10; Auburn out entirely

TxStar61

Reaction score
And of course, Southern California is still No. 1. USC has been No. 1 for 20 straight polls dating back to late in the 2003 season, leaving the Trojans one short of the record set by Miami from 2001-2002. USC received 61 of 65 first-place votes in the poll released Tuesday. No. 2 Texas got the other four first-place votes.

The 18th-ranked Sooners dropped 11 spots in the AP media poll after a 17-10 loss at home to TCU Saturday. The last time Oklahoma, which has played in the last two Bowl Championship Series title games, wasn't in the top 10 was Dec. 2, 2001.

"Sometimes it concerns you that when you have won for a period time, the players start thinking you have a right to win," Sooners coach Bob Stoops said. "You have to earn it every play, and I say that every week. We didn't go out there and do it last week, and TCU played harder and tougher than we did."

Auburn, coming off an undefeated season and No. 2 final ranking, had its 15-game winning streak snapped by Georgia Tech, 23-14. After starting the season ranked 16th, the Tigers have now been relegated to 'others receiving votes.'

Ray Ratto of The San Francisco Chronicle was one of eight voters to drop Oklahoma and Auburn out of the first regular-season poll.

"I have a real hard time looking at a team that's 0-1 and keeping them in the poll," he said. "I don't think you get points for losing your opener.

"When they get back to 4-1 and 5-1 they'll be back in."

Weis' first game as Notre Dame coach was a rousing success as the Irish beat Pittsburgh 42-21. They'll go into this week's game against Michigan ranked 20th. The Irish had two one-week stints in the rankings last season, both times at No. 24.

TCU and Georgia Tech were rewarded for their upsets by the pollsters.

The Yellow Jackets are No. 17 and the Horned Frogs are No. 22. Clemson also moved into the rankings at No. 25. The Tigers knocked Texas A&M out of the Top 25 with a last-second 25-24 victory.

Michigan is No. 3 and Ohio State, which hosts Texas on Saturday, is No. 4.

No. 5 LSU held steady as its opener with North Texas was postponed because of Hurricane Katrina. The Tigers will make an unscheduled road trip this week, playing at No. 15 Arizona State. The game was moved from Tiger Stadium to avoid interfering with the recovery efforts in Baton Rouge, La.

No. 6 Tennessee dropped three spots after having trouble with UAB in a 17-10 win.

No. 7 Virginia Tech, is followed by Iowa, Georgia and Florida in the top 10.

Georgia's 48-13 romp over Boise State sent the Broncos out of the rankings after they were in the preseason poll for the first time.

The second 10 starts with Florida State, 10-7 winners over Miami on Monday night. The Hurricanes dropped five spots to No. 14.

Louisville is No. 12, though the Cardinals lost the one first-place vote they received in the preseason after holding off a late Kentucky rally in a 31-24 victory.

No. 13 is Purdue and California is No. 16.

In between Oklahoma and Notre Dame is No. 19 Boston College.

Texas Tech is No. 21, Virginia is No. 23 and Fresno State is 24.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Let me see if I have this straight, almost every team in the country has played one game. Oklahoma is 4 spots ahead of the team they lost to on their home field? That makes perfect sense to any sentient being.

College rankings are a joke.

jimmy40

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
Let me see if I have this straight, almost every team in the country has played one game. Oklahoma is 4 spots ahead of the team they lost to on their home field? That makes perfect sense to any sentient being.

College rankings are a joke.
It was an upset. Do you really think TCU could beat OU again this week?

jimmy40

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Jimmy are the Horns ready for Ohio St?
Cbz I just don't know enough about Ohio State to say. I know they're going to try to make VY beat them throwing and they may be fast enough up front to do it, if so we're in trouble, I don't think we have good enough receivers yet. The team that loses this game still has a chance at the BCS Championship game though. I think we win 2 out of the 3 between OSt., OU and A@M. Not sure which one's though. This would be the one to lose, for many reasons. If they can't contain VY, we win. Period.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Miami's LBs may be faster then Ohio States...but I think Ohio State may have teh stoutest LB corp in the nation.

Question will be...will they be hurting this year without their Miracle Man...Nugent.

This should be a very interesting game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
OUch does not belong in the top 10 this season. Hook'em Horns!!!!!