OL Asim Richards

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
37 starts at LT, 1 at LG

I noticed him in the Senior Bowl 1-on-1s.
- Quick Feet. Long Arms. Big Hands.
- He held up to the power of Keanu Benton and Jerrod Clark.
- He did whiff on 1 rep vs Benton.

Asim Richards (Pro Day)
Height: 6042
Weight: 309
Hand: 10
Arm: 35-3/8 (34 at the combine)
Wingspan: 82 3/4
40 Yrd Dash: 5.16
20 Yrd Dash: 3.02
10 Yrd Dash: 1.77
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 13
Vertical Jump: 29
Broad Jump: 08'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.89
3-Cone Drill: 7.76

RonWashington

Reaction score
Farniok must figure prominently in 2023 . That’s the tea leaf coming out of this draft .

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Seems like he was very overlooked for having 37 starts in a fairly prominent ACC program. Was afraid the OG position had been picked clean in the fourth and fifth rounds prior to this pick. Glad he was there as a fallback option.

J-man

Reaction score
I was and still am all for continuing the O-line rebuild and I was looking at most OG's in this class and several OT's who could be moved inside, but I must admit I didn't look at him. He fell through my radar of possible picks. They seem to think he can move inside and be a quality player. I hope they are right about him because we need a starting LG.
They choose to pass on the best LG prospect in this class in Torrence at 58, so they could take a blocking TE no one had on their board before the end of rd 3. Now I'm a guy who hates when draft "experts" tell me where guys should be taken because I believe they really don't have a clue and if the guy can play it's never a reach. But I have to say that second rd pick made me scratch my head quite a bit Friday evening.
I just hope this kid makes me forget about that.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
37 starts at LT, 1 at LG

I noticed him in the Senior Bowl 1-on-1s.
- Quick Feet. Long Arms. Big Hands.
- He held up to the power of Keanu Benton and Jerrod Clark.
- He did whiff on 1 rep vs Benton.

Asim Richards (Pro Day)
Height: 6042
Weight: 309
Hand: 10
Arm: 35-3/8 (34 at the combine)
Wingspan: 82 3/4
40 Yrd Dash: 5.16
20 Yrd Dash: 3.02
10 Yrd Dash: 1.77
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 13
Vertical Jump: 29
Broad Jump: 08'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.89
3-Cone Drill: 7.76
SN: I wish we brought Clark in as a UDFA. I think there is alot of talent there once he remakes his body with a pro conditioning staff

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I was and still am all for continuing the O-line rebuild and I was looking at most OG's in this class and several OT's who could be moved inside, but I must admit I didn't look at him. He fell through my radar of possible picks. They seem to think he can move inside and be a quality player. I hope they are right about him because we need a starting LG.
They choose to pass on the best LG prospect in this class in Torrence at 58, so they could take a blocking TE no one had on their board before the end of rd 3. Now I'm a guy who hates when draft "experts" tell me where guys should be taken because I believe they really don't have a clue and if the guy can play it's never a reach. But I have to say that second rd pick made me scratch my head quite a bit Friday evening.
I just hope this kid makes me forget about that.
The TE's were being wiped out with very few remaining options left. There were many more options going to be available later to address the OL including OTs that could move inside. No one has a clue how much a strong blocking TE was a priority for McCarthy based on the changes he is making to the offense. I have no doubt everything was weighed and it was decided they needed to get the versatile TE before none were left. Sometimes things don't make sense but they have their reasons and all the pertinent information of which we as fans have none.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
From a value standpoint, probably the best pick they made.
Agreed. That type of athletic upside at that point in the draft means he's got a fairly low floor.

Almost certainly a day-1 depth piece, and long-term could project as a starter. Not as polished coming out, but similar player to Elgton Jenkins.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Bench press....12.
There is no way he only repped 12 on the bench. Surely that is a type. If he did there is almost no way he has NFL strength. Heck, that's not even D1 strength.

I will say watched some of his film and he actually was somewhat impressive. Perhaps he will turn into something for us.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Probably one of our best value picks in the draft.

Just watched him haunts ND - pretty good feet probably just needs to add some power. Foskey’s power gave him trouble a few times.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
There is no way he only repped 12 on the bench. Surely that is a type. If he did there is almost no way he has NFL strength. Heck, that's not even D1 strength.

I will say watched some of his film and he actually was somewhat impressive. Perhaps he will turn into something for us.
Could be an injury, but the bench is a really poor measurement of overall strength. It's far more reflective of training habits in the months leading up to the combine than it is play strength - he pretty obviously has strong legs/core, and that's where all of OL power comes from. A month of training the bench aggressively can take a guy from 13 to 20 reps pretty easily.

He needs to get stronger probably, but that bench press isn't indicative of play strength.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
He was an undersized Tackle who will be perfect at guard ....... All his weaknesses at tackle will be eliminated by position change.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Maybe.

For his athleticism, he's kind of heavy-legged so I don't know that he can be a great puller or effective out in space.
He'd better be, they are going to ask him to play quite a bit of outside and inside zone.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Maybe.

For his athleticism, he's kind of heavy-legged so I don't know that he can be a great puller or effective out in space.
That's ok .... I see him as a Nate Newton type of guard ...... Just push your guy back